News - Push Tax Returns

So the Libs intend to deliver the promised "push tax returns" in the budget. Claiming to save 1.4m aussie a costly / complex and time consuming chore. Thats good...For a simple and basic employee with PAYG income and little to no deductions. Not my sort of client but ITP's, H&R etc could see this as a drain.

Q : So how do they claim the tax agent fee for last years return ?? Likely a basic standard deduction. Problem in the past was deciding on a number. $300 may be too low. (Avg work dedn is $226). $500 OK except if worker buys a few safety items, laundry etc it probably low. $1,000 ?? Too generous. Each $100 of deduction given loses $30 of tax.

Obviously wont affect a significant number - Shareholders, self employed, property investors, any allowances such as travel, vehicle etc. Income protection, margin lending, super contributions, anyone with capital gains. larger deductions etc.

Property investors !! "Treasury is considering using third-party information from real estate agents and stockbrokers to track taxpayers' capital gains, with the long-term goal of offering "no touch" tax returns". ABSOLUTE RUBBISH is my view. Impossible. Few agents deal with the whole of a taxpayer IP. Many investors dont use agents. ie Land tax paid by owner, some pay own costs, some pay part. Interest ?? Loan refinance? Proportioning costs ? Cost base adjustments from QS ?? Depreciation, asset write offs etc I would love to read the Treasury paper that says "we cant do this". Share cap gains are generally not correct in broker records either. eg : Aunt Ethyl dies and leaves shares to her two daughters. Some pre-CGT some post. They dont know this.
Who employs these idiots in Govt ?

A few risks with this push model based on oseas experience :
- Loss of historical CGT info. ie cost base of those shares that dont pay divs ?
- Loss or forgetting c/fwd cap losses. Years later you cant front a tax agent and ask them to "find out"..No process exists.
- Blind faith in ATO appearing to offer a legit refund when a higher refund may be entitled if deductions were discussed and explored.

Thanks Paul. I really enjoy these industry updates since I don't have the time to read up on all the changes. Can you explain what is push tax returns?

From what I read, taxpayers will have the option of going to the ATO website and looking at their proposed tax return.

If they are happy with it they can simply accept it.

If not, they still have the option of completing the form themselves.

(The 1.4m returns quoted are for taxpayers with very simple returns - salary, interest and/or dividends who are the target group.)

Hard to see a down side.
Marg

Pretty simple they introduce a tax return abolishment tax based on 1% of income. Only another 98 taxes and we won't have any income at all.

From what I read, taxpayers will have the option of going to the ATO website and looking at their proposed tax return. NO. In time the ATO will build a portal to replace e-tax for other taxpayers. Long way off. I would suggest three years min and they it wont work well for some issues (CGT on property, rents etc)

If they are happy with it they can simply accept it. If they like the letter sent to them they can accept it or igniore it and follow the old system.

If not, they still have the option of completing the form themselves. Or use an agent

(The 1.4m returns quoted are for taxpayers with very simple returns - salary, interest and/or dividends who are the target group.)

Hard to see a down side.
Marg

Not quite. Initially they will mail you a letter that includes a receipt for all taxes you paid explaining where is was mis-spent / blown / given away and lost. (Hocky said how it was spent so I think my translation hasnt lost anything). You an accept / reject it.

In time e-tax will change and also be a online portal rather than stand alone software so it has more and more info and requires some updating etc. More intuitive and tailored to individuals rather than 96 seperate sections. More relevant to property trasactiosn was their aim by linking data with agents and other data...I dont see that working. Simple issues that will fail = loan interest, apportioned expenses and depreciation.

Down side for simple push returns = Biggest is working out what a standard deduction will be. If it generous its wasted $. If its low nobody will adopt it. So it needs to err on generous and be relevant or its a waste. So its a waste of $$ no matter what. Then there is the problem of it being incomplete - No cash income and missing "prefill" data. Simple taxpayers will accept the refund when extra tax may be due. Undeclared income remains a problem and penalties and interest will still apply. So "simple" taxpayers may make simple mistakes of jusdement. NZ had huge issues with this initially and lots of bro's complained they were gutting rupped off bug tum by the bustards.

In time e-tax will change and also be a online portal rather than stand alone software so it has more and more info and requires some updating etc. More intuitive and tailored to individuals rather than 96 seperate sections. More relevant to property trasactiosn was their aim by linking data with agents and other data...I dont see that working. Simple issues that will fail = loan interest, apportioned expenses and depreciation.

that eTax thing where I have to answer stuff about being over 65, my spouse, my business income, children etc is nuts because none applies to me. They should have filtering questions at the start... do you have a business, age, marital status, children etc and that would cut out 80% of questions for me. Just make me answer what applies... that would be great!

As far as properties and deductions... it would only work if they had a facility for linking loan accounts to investment properties, data matched to state land agency titles for ownership % (or manual input?), had a facility to upload depreciatation schedules etc. I still can't see it working though.

There will always be a place for manual (paper or electronic) tax returns prepared by tax professionals - unless they change the tax laws to make them more simple.

MyTax has arrived

Joe Hockey has actually released details of "MyTax". It will be availalble from 1 July 2014 for taxpayers with very simple affairs

It will be web based capable of access with a tablet, laptop etc with no special software like e-tax needed. Only taxpayers with SIMPLE affairs can use it. It will prefill wages and salary income, social security payments, interest and dividends details as well as private health details.

Who cant use it : All taxpayers until their employer and financial institutions and ASX listed companies provide the ATO with the prefill data. Taxpayers whose employer doesnt send prefill data may be unable to use MyTax. The taxpayer will merely "approve" the income and it appears from descriptions they cant add or change it. This could take up to 2 months. Some wont be allowed to use MyTax : Property investors. People receiving managed fund or trust income. People receiving super payments (lump sum or pension). People receiving some allowances perhaps ?

Deductions will be limited to work related expenses, donations, interest and dividend income deductions and tax agent fees. ie : no travel, no car use, no self education. The list of approved deductions doesnt actually mention uniform costs ?. No income protection insurance. I suspect a budget measure that limits deductions or introduces a default fixed deduction may be coming.

Details are lacking of course. I suspect to satisfy security demands taxpayers may encounter restrictions on what they can do - I would imagine refunds will ONLY be paid to a bank account used in a prior year. Not sure how taxpayers would update their account details since ATO dont send cheques anymore. And I imagine the website wont tell you what that bank account number was ! And it wont allow a change to the account if its a unsecure web link to the ATO.

Importantly - Its free.

Back