NEWSTART ALLOWANCE IF YOU OWN IPs

Remember, it's only a passing phase, and yes, Australia IS the lucky country in that regard. We've been on the brink a few times in years gone past, but it is possible to come back from the brink with hard work & dedication.

+1, have been through it too.
Perseverance, responsibility, and positive approach, finding solutions to problems in times of adversity rather than blaming the problems at hand will help, but one needs to switch the mindset to that!
Not easy task to do!
Also learning from past mistakes helped in our case too....
Do we ALL face challenges, well yes everyday, some are out of our control some not, but the moment we realise they are part of our lives, we then realise it we either need to deal with them or get boggled down, right?
I chose to deal with it no matter what! I hope that helps to move on...:)

Pinkboy, I will be using every cent I make in my successful business to pay the ATO. By your logic I guess minimising tax, and negative gearing and lots of other things are mooching too then. ATO hardly has a welfare mentality though, which is a shame for me. I have not even got my tax bill yet FYI, but know what is coming. And I do have grounds for a payment plan due to blood bath in our finances over previous years FYI. Bankruptcy would have been easier I guess. Silly me, we would rather show integrity and pay our debts, using whatever help lines are available. Conscience is clear.

Lets talk logic shall we? If there is a tax debt to be repaid, whether it be personal or business, it means that entity has made a $h!tload of income it hasn't paid enough tax on, or is required to pay tax on.

Your swipe on minimising tax or negative gearing is moot to non valid - of course these are great, but these are applied BEFORE the requirement of taxation. So your debt is debt on income with these deductions already applied. If you can't put $$ away for tax and a rainy day, then you are insolvent.

With regards to your daughter coming back from where ever, working, living etc away from Australia, then waltzes back here and putting the hand out to tie her over, then it appears the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree.

pinkboy

its an interesting debate, this whole welfare thing

I am in the anti welfare debate, why rely on the governement to help you out, especially if you have 15 kids or have bought a stupid car or have just come back from holiday

but then I ask myself, was there a time that my lack of planning got me into trouble (ignoring business investments etc) and the answer is yes once,

and then I ask myself, what about those people that maybe had a meidcal condition or a sick parent, or broke their leg, or their car got stolen and their insurance had lapsed,

these people truly need support to get them on their feet,

I think its a viscious cycle, I see a beggar on the street every day just sitting there in a pretty pathetic postion and wonder if he is or is elgiible for newstart or some sort of benefits, and at the same time I ask myself, Why can he not apply for a job cleaning toilets or pushing trolleys or picking up rubbish even if it pays $10 per hour!!! but then where would he get he facilities to have a shower, hair cut, wear decent clothes to even get him through the front door of a job application, no matter how simple the job is.

Lets talk logic shall we? If there is a tax debt to be repaid, whether it be personal or business, it means that entity has made a $h!tload of income it hasn't paid enough tax on, or is required to pay tax on.

Your swipe on minimising tax or negative gearing is moot to non valid - of course these are great, but these are applied BEFORE the requirement of taxation. So your debt is debt on income with these deductions already applied. If you can't put $$ away for tax and a rainy day, then you are insolvent.

With regards to your daughter coming back from where ever, working, living etc away from Australia, then waltzes back here and putting the hand out to tie her over, then it appears the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree.

pinkboy

I too think that people who whinge about the tax system and how high it is to be a bit of a doofus. If you dont like it, move country or get a job that pays less so you less tax

that being said, if you are paying tax, you are earning $$$, its actually a good problem to have, id rather be paying tax and earning, then not earning and paying zero tax

that being said, putting emotional terms like 'bloodbath' aside. Thats like going to a restuarnat, ordering a steak and then saying 'omg, the waitress killed and slaughtered us by giving us the bill' aside, for small businesses sometimes cashflow is poor, sometimes managing cashflow is poor. however ultimately its your responsbility and the government is not ganging up on you.

Tax means that a profit was made, if you spent the profit on a new car, then pay up
if you spent the profit on paying an old debt back, then pay up
if you spent the profit on further investing in your business, then pay up
if the profit was stolen or defrauded, then my full sympathies

Newstart is the unemployment benefit people receive when they are looking for full-time work. I think it's currently gone up to around $519 a fortnight or just shy of $260 a week. If you voluntarily leave a job and want to claim the payment there's usually a 4-8 week wait with backpay.

Casual Teaching Rates are $260-300 per day. One day a week and the daughter of the OP would have the same pay as Newstart. She can get on the phone ring all schools within a 90 min drive and see what work she can pick up. When work does come - save enough to get through the weeks where there won't be any. Before leaving email cv and interest in casual work to all schools. Or stay and work in the UK until Term 3 starts. (you obviously can't get work on the school holidays).
OP your daughter is very fortunate, she will come home to a roof over her head, her family and a hot meal and warm bed. Where have all her belongings been stored while she was OS? She has clean clothes, facilities to shower, to wash those clothes? Truly needy people do not have these luxuries to fall back on.

for small businesses sometimes cashflow is poor, sometimes managing cashflow is poor. however ultimately its your responsbility and the government is not ganging up on you.

I once had someone go belly up owing me over 50k in labour costs. ATO still wanted their payg tax on the wages and payroll tax. Everyone got paid but me! Damn well felt like I was being ganged up on.

Pinkboy, I will be using every cent I make in my successful business to pay the ATO. By your logic I guess minimising tax, and negative gearing and lots of other things are mooching too then. ATO hardly has a welfare mentality though, which is a shame for me. I have not even got my tax bill yet FYI, but know what is coming. And I do have grounds for a payment plan due to blood bath in our finances over previous years FYI. Bankruptcy would have been easier I guess. Silly me, we would rather show integrity and pay our debts, using whatever help lines are available. Conscience is clear.

Seaview

Hi Seaview

You do not have to justify or explain your own circumstances to anyone and no one has the right to judge you and make you explain so that they can decide whether it's OK or not according to their own criteria.

If your daughter is entitled to any assistance - 3 IPs or 100 IPs, she is ALLOWED to accept this assistance. She is allowed to value herself enough to accept help without having to explain it to anyone.

let others call it mooching, smoooching - whatever, just enjoy the help.

All businesses have ups and downs and you do not need to explain this to people either - do whatever you need to do that is going to be beneficial to you and your daughter.

Everyone faces periods of down turns every now and then, this in no way defines who you are or takes away your value as a person - you are not money.

I can't comment on what you are or are not entitled to but can say that if you are entitled to it then you have as much right as anyone else who is entitled to it and maybe even more so because the government gets to help those who are able to help themselves.

good luck

Thanks Xenia for your kind words.
But all the negative naysayers were pretty much what I expected here. It is par for the course when coming on a forum like this. But still worth risking to get some useful info, and I do have fairly thick skin.

Cheers
Seaview

She may have to wait up to 13 weeks if she voluntarily left her job. Unless she pleads "Financial Hardship" and can somehow Qualify for an Emergency Payment. Either way it doesn't look pleasant.

I'd be looking for Temp Teaching jobs. Quicker financial solution.

Ad in local paper, online forums, etc.
Experienced teacher available for private tutoring.
Collect money, but if you want to get the Newstart too, it'll have to be cash...

Thanks Xenia for your kind words.
But all the negative naysayers were pretty much what I expected here. It is par for the course when coming on a forum like this. But still worth risking to get some useful info, and I do have fairly thick skin.

Cheers
Seaview

Thick skin or not.
right or wrong

I dont have a strong opinion on this particular matter but what the nay sayers are getting worked up about is the fact that somoene with multiple ips decides to make a personal choice and travel /work overseas. You need a certain amount of dollars for that so you saved up for it

But you come back without saving or planned for your return. It would have cost a flight back. Youve come back with the expectation the governement will support you.

Just saying people see it

If your daughter is entitled to any assistance - 3 IPs or 100 IPs, she is ALLOWED to accept this assistance. She is allowed to value herself enough to accept help without having to explain it to anyone.

let others call it mooching, smoooching - whatever, just enjoy the help.

Hehe! I think smooching is something else...

If she is under 21 she will be considered a dependant and if your annual expenses are over 100k including any interest payments she wont be eligible, even if your expenses are 50k it is hardly worth it to get about $40 a week for a few months. I suppose the same will apply to her if she is over 21. It works different to a tax assessment, if you can afford large debt you considered to be able to afford education.

I once had someone go belly up owing me over 50k in labour costs. ATO still wanted their payg tax on the wages and payroll tax. Everyone got paid but me! Damn well felt like I was being ganged up on.

Yes, we have been through that too, some clients went belly up owing similar, yet we paid our labour costs and taxes! It hurts!
Now we are more careful, we will not take on some contracts, or we always ask for PO, otherwise we will not commit.
So as I say, we learned the hard way, but as long as we learn for the next time than it is ok....

I'm sure you could own 100 IP's and still be able to get Newstart. They just test the net worth and access it as assets. I think it is something like 250k? So if the total mortgages are subtracted from the amount the properties are worth you will get your asset value.

I'm sure you could own 100 IP's and still be able to get Newstart. They just test the net worth and access it as assets. I think it is something like 250k? So if the total mortgages are subtracted from the amount the properties are worth you will get your asset value.

This doesn't appear to be the case from the legislation that I cited above. Do you have any authority to show it is 'net' assets?

do NOT think a worker who needs short term help between jobs should be classed as a moocher.

Hi Seaview, if you're daughter is needing some short term help between jobs I'm sure there are many around here (especially as you said she has available equity in her properties).

I for one would be willing to help her out for a short period. 10% per month.

As you said, she fully expects to be back on her feet in short order. Let me know.

This doesn't appear to be the case from the legislation that I cited above. Do you have any authority to show it is 'net' assets?
Having been through all this nonsense, its net assets.

Also it takes them weeks and weeks and weeks to actually process this and when you have a complex application it can take even longer. If there is any way to avoid dealing with centrelink, take that other way instead. Go on airtasker, become an Uber driver, sell a kidney, anything.

I still have to deal with them as I am a mere peasant earning less than $150k after tax, I get FTA/FTB and I pay child support, both go through the same system. I tell everyone I meet not to get married and have kids these days, this whole thing has turned me into a grumpy cynic.

Back