Next steps - expanding the portfolio

Just cross your fingers that he hasn't/doesn't tell your new manager your plans. If so, discard this person with the quickness as they will have proven themselves to be a worthless human being.

Nah, we are friends. He is a mentor and he only gave me his take on it.

As it pours in Western Sydney, made me realise, how much I miss out on watching the rain!

Last edited:
Thank you. It's kind of you to offer me such generous advice. I'm always concerned about kidding myself, so in an effort to help me to stop doing so, perhaps you could point me to a balance sheet , profit and loss statement or tax return anywhere in existence that records or values or measures unrealised gains (from lost opportunities) the same as it records or values or measures actual, bona fide realised losses (from the sale of assets at price less than they were purchased for)

You were so adamant they are the same thing, and you scolded me for daring to see a difference; perhaps there's something to it after all. Being so unsophisticated it may take a while for me to get it, but if they are the very same thing can you please show me how?

I'll be waiting over here in my unencumbered PPOR, considering how I ever built my multi million $ INV portfolio - the one which which is CF+ for life, delivers me a tax free income, costs me $0 to hold, and has positioned me to reach 20 + properties by 2016, and wondering how I can get past investment property 101 and join the big table with you and begin to understand such astonishing accounting miracles.

You may not be an unsophisticated investor, but after a post like that you sure are unsophisticated.

Haha, solid banter.

FYI euro, nerding out here, but during 08/09 FY's, large Aussie construction companies (Multiplex, Lendlease I believe, etc) wrote down their balance sheet by doing asset revaluations on their large developments. Accounting standards make them do fair value adjustments, especially if there's likely to be a material writedown.

This writedown is then written onto the P&L.

It won't impact their Cash Flow statement, but it does hit the P&L/balance sheet.

Cheers,
Redom

Last edited:
euro73, I consider you no different to those spammers and scammers who post one sided, emotional garbage in regards to your NRAS,

if you havent realised, your spamming may work on the average joe/ jane but sophisticated investors, usually wont even take notice of it,

so amongst your spamming and sarcasm, I suggest you give up

euro73, I consider you no different to those spammers and scammers who post one sided, emotional garbage in regards to your NRAS,

if you havent realised, your spamming may work on the average joe/ jane but sophisticated investors, usually wont even take notice of it,

Push push push......

Haha, solid banter.

FYI euro, nerding out here, but during 08/09 FY's, large Aussie construction companies (Multiplex, Lendlease I believe, etc) wrote down their balance sheet by doing asset revaluations on their large developments. Accounting standards make them do fair value adjustments, especially if there's likely to be a material writedown.

This writedown is then written onto the P&L.

It won't impact their Cash Flow statement, but it does hit the P&L/balance sheet.

Cheers,
Redom

Cheers Red. My point thought wasn't related to asset write downs- I was making the point that unrealised profits aren't the same as a realised losses, so the argument made previously that "a loss is a loss" was inaccurate. Whether realised losses be asset devaluation/write downs or cash losses.... they are not the same as unrealised profits / opportunities in anyones book. More broadly my point was, and remains - if you have sufficient cash flow to hold through a loss in asset value you can "ride it out" so to speak. Yes I accept that may prevent making gains/profits etc... and yes I accept that can be considered a lost opportunity - but an actual loss it is not.

Put another way - if you are swimming forward and get into trouble and manage to at least tread water rather than drown...... of course you'd prefer to be able to keep swimming, but as long as you dont drown, you survive and can eventually move forward again when your position improves..... you get my point.

Last edited:

The trouble with the internet is that it allows any cowboy with a keyboard to publish ... and that's fine, but volume of posts full of unqualified opinions doesnt really equate to any value being added.

Now TMNT, I am a subject matter expert in NRAS, and in residential mortgage lending. I have 12 years in finance as a broker and BDM, at places like Aussie, HSBC, FirstMac. I have a large property portfolio. I developed the first NRAS loan product in the land. I believe in my numbers, put my money where my mouth is and unless my clients are lying to me, they are extremely happy with how I have shown them a clever way to transform their wealth position. I posted here long before I had a business involved in NRAS and will post long after it ends. But most importantly, I post facts, I back up my posts with real numbers that are open to everyone to scrutinise, and I dont make unqualified generalisations.

You may not like NRAS - perhaps the numbers are too sophisticated for you - who knows? ... perhaps you were fortunate enough to inherit a small fortune some years back. Perhaps you have a unique skillset of some other type. But you're making a very strong accusation on a public forum that calls my character into question and I'd like you point me to the "one sided emotional garbage" you accuse me of posting. I'm nothing if not reasonable, and I would welcome the debate. Otherwise - I would invite you to just move along to the next post and have a nice day.

Have to be rude and get this thread back on topic :D

Are the two of you any closer to deciding on

a) buy and hold - leverage ~1.2mill-1.8mill, serviceability permitting
b) subdivisions - lot purchase, subdivide and sell
c) small 4 unit development
d) start a business
e) two of the above

???

Back