Nice selling agent trick.

Talk about the wrong side of the tracks.

Everything in that advert seems 'large' - family, rumpus, laundry, Qld, open plan living area and back yard.

So your having trouble getting interest in a property you're selling, no worries, update the suburb the house is listed in to a more desirable suburb and you'll get heaps more interest!

An oldie but a goodie!

Agents have been doing this since Jesus was a boy (and mabe even before that) :)

One agent that lists in Sydney's Inner West -often advertises Ashfield property as "on the Summer Hill border". Another in Newcastle, advertises West Mayfield (more industrial) as Mayfield. And still others advertise West Merrylands (where they regularly get bullet hole damge to the outside of their homes, recently) as Merrylands.

East Gosford properties are occasionally listed as Caroline Bay or Point Frederick to give them a whiff of prestige and up-pricing.

The agents might be happy to do this because it looks like they are listing properties in better suburbs but getting more interest in the property doesn't necessarily help to sell it. The potential buyers will get annoyed when they find out where the property really is. I think it's only really acceptable if the suburb is particularly small or unknown, but even then I think most people have surrounding suburbs included when they search.

This is used in Whyalla a lot. Not sure why they do it as there are 4 suburbs that all vary a lot. It must be to trick interstate investors

I have seen plenty of places advertised in the incorrect suburb before but this is the first time I've noticed the listing get updated and the suburb changed after the property has been listed for a while.

You would need to be very careful with this from a misleading advertising point of view, it's something I would never do.

Let's just say that you switch up the suburb to one which is considered nicer, and subsequently conditionally exchange contracts with a cooling off, let's say that buyer then decides to pull out and produces your nice colour brochure with the incorrect suburb plastered on it as their reason, any decent solicitor will ensure their client (the buyer) receive their 0.25% deposit back citing misleading advertising (Dept Fair Trading hate this stuff), the owner could then pursue you (the agent) for the 0.25% deposit they should've received as it was through your actions that the non-refundable deposit was actually refunded to the purchaser...

Sometimes it seems that half the listings for "Bendigo" are actually in Long Gully. I don't think you could pull them up for misleading advertising though as it is in "Bendigo". I learned pretty quick to always check the location on the map before setting out to an open house.

I see this all the time. My friends' property is now listed for sale. The agent listed it under the suburb name Eltham, but the house is located on Eltham North. The ad mentions Eltham North, but realestate.com search is under Eltham.

You get that a lot in Sydney's Potts Point. Most are listed as Elizabeth Bay (even if they are not there). I must admit though, there is a fine line between the 2.
Strangely mine was listed as Potts Point when I bought it but council has it listed as Elizabeth Bay. Maybe that's why I got a bargain. :D

It's misleading if the address on the contract isn't the same as in your advertising. The address on the contract is the registered title being transferred, and it's the only address that matters.

Or in ads they might say 'Brighton area' or 'Brighton area buyers' (when the property is in Hampton or Bentleigh).

Not technically incorrect - much like how adding -style to a word or food is a telltale that it's fake.

If too many people get conned they'll lobby council to redraw the suburb's borders - like how Camberwell and Malvern East expanded while Moorabbin contracted. Similarly Sanctuary Lakes people think they're too good for Point Cook so they too want change.

Back