No Laundry

Hi all,

Just purchased a IP which Im extremely excited about. There has been a sunroom extension that has been put out the back, although I think at a cost of the laundry.

As it sits now the laundry is in a tall kitchen cupboard. I was thinking of relocating it to a area highlighted in red. I'd get a ceiling height cupboard to house a laundry tub and have enough room for a washing machine and dryer.

Any thoughts or ideas?

IMG_0304Large.jpg

looks like a good spot to me

just internal walls so fairly cheap to do

can have a rear door to access to outside

as long as you have it drawn up to scale and know your size for washing machine, dryer, trough etc. and it all fits, looks like it can work

I was only thinking of enclosing it into a cupboard, although since you talk about internal walls, how costly would it be to put up two walls plus a couple of bi-fold doors or something? It would make it look nicer.

Just saw something on realestate.com which gave me the idea.

laundryidea.jpg

I was only thinking of enclosing it into a cupboard, although since you talk about internal walls, how costly would it be to put up two walls plus a couple of bi-fold doors or something? It would make it look nicer.

Just saw something on realestate.com which gave me the idea.

Depends on how handy you are, or who you know in the tradies department. But it wouldn't cost all that much even if you had to contract it out to someone at market rates - materials are minimal.

I'd say all in all it's definitely worth it from a investment/value add (not sure that's the right term, perhaps general improvement to the property).

Cheers
Greg

that is a great spot, all water and power should be able to be pulled through from the bathroom, or cut from under the floor, and then placed in the cavity wall,
get some quiet appliances , the noise might make you a bit bonkers , whilst clothes are drying, and or washing??

looks good as you'd then have a 'designated' laundry spot.

where would you vent the dryer to? into the ceiling cavity?

Is the house on a slab or piered with a timber floor?. If piered just be careful of vibrations from the WM. If a slab then great. Good alternative to a full laundry and handy to the kitchen. Its a personal hate of mine when a laundry is more than 5 or 6 steps from the kitchen. The only downside I could see if I was being picky would be the noise factor of a WM and dryer in full flight, otherwise great!

That would be a great idea. there seems to be plenty of living space and would add immediate value to the property! You would basically just have to close in the door to the loungeroom and put a door out to the hallway.

Not quite what you were asking, and not quite sure if it's practical, but is that dining room large enough to convert to a fourth bedroom...?

Good thinking. Since you have a living & a rumpus room, it would be easy to call that bedroom No 4. I know where I am, a 4th bedroom gets a higher rent.

Looks like a goer. Just will need to get some prices and see if its cost effective. The kitchen is quite large, and I like the idea of a seperate laundry area instead of how it is now, being enclosed in a kitchen cupboard. How would drainage and all that work? Will they just tap into the bathroom drainage?

lizzie, probably put a exhaust fan that vents to the ceiling space I think. Is the venting required?

twobobs, I bought at St Clair after months of searching. Quakers was that little bit too much for me. I see the place at Narcissus Ave is back under offer again!

jamesgg, I was originally asking if the area I marked out would be good as a laundry room / cupboard. The washing machine area is currently behind a tall kitchen cupboard which I dont like. I'd rather relocate it so the kitchen cupboard can be used for more storage and relocate the laundry to the other space in the kitchen. Great thinking with the dining room. The diagram is not drawn to scale so I'll need to go and check it out. Also, I cannot remember if the current dining area has a window, so putting a window in will be the pricey bit.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions so far.

Ok I went and measured the dining room. Its about 3 x 2.7 metres. Would this be big enough for a bedroom or study? There is a window there so its only enclosing it and putting a door up.

As for the laundry idea, was speaking to a mate who said I should put a room in the roof over section of the house (refer to diagram in the first post).

Reason being if I enclose the dining area, then the area adjacent to the bathroom could be used for a dining table. I dont know what options I have of putting a laundry outside the sunroom. Something like a shed like structure?

Back