No lockable door

Did you approach the landlord before you got the door replaced? Make sure they know what happened and give them a copy of the receipt. Non payment of rent without a solid agreed reason can cause problems later.

yes wondered about that too. but probably no lease or formal arrangement?? no bond lodged or income declared or tax to pay? guess adults can take risks and make their own arrangements.

glad you got the door fixed sensible.

I once lived in an old terrace in North Sydney. The back verandah on the first level, where we shared a phone with the terrace next door was falling apart an quite dangerous. But it had a million dollar view over Sydney harbour and we just around the corner from the station.

That door would make halloween interesting

Little kid :
*knock knock* "Trick or treat!"
"Oh wow it fell in, cool trick. Cya"

I can't move house and it was like this on first inspection, its not like I have any real options.

The area is seriously awesome and this was one of the bigger places I looked at in this price range.

This is just what you put up with when you have zero chance of getting a different rental and you can't buy.

It was like this on first inspection

So, no surprises from your side, and you made a deliberate decision to live in those conditions at the obviously commensurate rent they are charging you.

The area is seriously awesome and this was one of the bigger places I looked at in this price range.

So, you decided upfront to compromise on safety and amenity for the advantages of the property (location / size / rent).

Given it was your free choice, your current situation sounds not pleasant, but wholly of your own making.

Of course, you could have easily chosen a worse location, a smaller premises and a higher rent to live in a residence that had everything in tip top safety and functioning condition.

We all eventually have to accept, as sane adults, the results of our choices made at free will.

No Dazz. Didn't you read wylie's post? It's clearly all the landlord's fault, for having 'women and children' living in such conditions. I mean, he obviously held a gun to RE's head and forced her to move into the place.

There's no way a mother would put her children at risk like that! As a woman, she has absolutely no agency, cannot be expected to accept any responsibility for her own decisions and everything is to be blamed on a man (in this case, the landlord)!

Edit: tried to give kudos, but have to pass them around some more first.

I tolerated a serious cockroach infestation that meant I couldn't keep food in the house and a revolting bathroom in a unit with the most fabulous panoramic views from Bondi to Maroubra and the sound of the waves crashing while falling asleep.

Funny what we put up with in our first place close to the action.

Seriously though, that place of yours does sound dangerous.

Sounds like an old place with possible demolition restrictions. Perhaps the LL will allow the OP to keep pet termites in exchange for a reduction in rent.

Oh, cancel that they seem to have already been included the rent rate.

I know a couple of people that rent old QLD's, have done for years. The rent is seriously low with a gentleman's agreement of virtually no maintenance in exchange for virtually no rent increases. LLs just waiting for the place to fall down so they can do something with the land...

"I'm sorry to hear about your fire"
"Shush, it's tomorrow"

RumpledElf wasn't complaining at all about the original condition. But a front door falling out was not a part of the original condition. The question raised was only about being able to close the door, not complaining about a house which was accepted in that condition.

No Dazz. Didn't you read wylie's post? It's clearly all the landlord's fault, for having 'women and children' living in such conditions. I mean, he obviously held a gun to RE's head and forced her to move into the place.

There's no way a mother would put her children at risk like that! As a woman, she has absolutely no agency, cannot be expected to accept any responsibility for her own decisions and everything is to be blamed on a man (in this case, the landlord)!

Edit: tried to give kudos, but have to pass them around some more first.

What a rant... :confused:. It is clearly stated that the door did close when RE rented the place. It is not clear whether the other dangerous stuff was there or not. I'm sure RE didn't expect the verandah to fall off and her light to fry in the rain, but of course, she should have known that shouldn't she. Every shabby house will fall apart, won't it... NOT!

There is a HUGE difference between accept "shabby" and accepting "downright dangerous". But don't let that little fact stop you from jumping to smartar$e conclusions or wild sweeping generalisations :roll eyes:.

The bad-wiring-making-low-electricity bills is actually kind of a bonus ... when I first got a bill that was a teeny % of what I'm used to getting (no, I'm not exaggerating) I went down and checked the meter and all that, and it was correct, so it's not my problem.

I like the place. I'm thinking of naming the cockroaches. They're friendly.

But yes, needs a door. There wasn't an active termite infestation in the door when I moved in. All fixed now though :D

i had a bad power meter for about 6 months and then they changed it to a digital one and my power bill went through the roof!
only then did i realize it only recorded 6kw/h for the whole qtr

i had a bad power meter for about 6 months and then they changed it to a digital one and my power bill went through the roof!
only then did i realize it only recorded 6kw/h for the whole qtr

Previous owners/tenants most likely tampered with the box, common up in Playford a lot. its something to do with remove the face plate and circling the magneto with copper. The downside is eventually it burns out the restrictor on the meter and then it starts spinning uncontrollably, they only find out when their pill is 5k.

:p

Back