No lockable door

My doorframe is eaten out by termites, I gave it a little shove yesterday and it sort of dissolved into matchsticks.

Landlord has known about this for a while, still hasn't sent out pest control people or a carpenter.

So how I have this house and I can't keep out visitors, random cats, the wind etc since I can't close my door. My insurance is obviously completely void at the moment.

Where the hell do I stand here?

I'd email the landlord or agent, remind them that you've asked for this to be fixed before now, and tell them this is now an urgent security matter, and that first up tomorrow morning you will be getting a carpenter and/or locksmith to fix it so that you can close and lock the door.

Landlord already knows. He's known for quite a while, and given how easy it was for me to completely kill the door a burglar would have got in even easier.

So best bet, just tell him I'm getting a carpenter and taking it out of the rent?

Replacing an entire doorframe doesn't sound cheap. I have no idea how you attach that stuff to the brickwork.

Edit: this afternoon he said he'd call a carpenter and get back to me within half an hour. He was going to replace the doorframe well before Christmas. I think the termites are eating the kitchen floor at the moment, it feels like it wants to collapse >.<

In the meantime I have stolen ... uh, I mean borrowed the slidebolt from the neighbour's outdoor toilet so I can hold the door shut from the inside.

This doesn't help me when I go out.

Anyone looking for a tenant that always pays their rent in the inner west? This place feels like it is about to fall apart, and being between jobs I can't get a rental through an agent :mad:

Best bet is to follow procedure in the first instance. It has just become urgent. If it costs more than $1000 you may be out of pocket. Give him a very short time to respond.

If there are problems with the floor that's another issue which could be a safety issue and will need a separate follow up. You may need to prove a problem.

Replacing an entire doorframe doesn't sound cheap. I have no idea how you attach that stuff to the brickwork.

>.<

You should have plenty of change from $1000. As long as the door isn't too fancy.

In a brick veneer house the door frame is attached to the stud and noggin. If you are handy you can DIY and you'll have a heap of change from that $1000.

Its a solid brick 1900's heritage listed house. There is literally no wood left on one side of the doorframe, the very active termite colony in there has moved on though.

Verandah fell off the other month (missed the kid by 10 minutes) and now I have no verandah I have no outdoor light cos that fried in the rain, the kitchen floor has started sagging massively since the termites moved out of the doorframe, three of my stairs aren't actually attached to anything, one of the upstairs windows is broken, there are numerous holes in the floors and the place is generally pretty ghetto.

It is miswired though, so I don't pay for electricity. This cancels out a *lot* of the issues.

I really really need to get a job so I can move ...

Rumpled, sorry to say this, but I don't think your house is fit for human habitation. Hope you find a job real soon.

Its a solid brick 1900's heritage listed house. There is literally no wood left on one side of the doorframe, the very active termite colony in there has moved on though.

Verandah fell off the other month (missed the kid by 10 minutes) and now I have no verandah I have no outdoor light cos that fried in the rain, the kitchen floor has started sagging massively since the termites moved out of the doorframe, three of my stairs aren't actually attached to anything, one of the upstairs windows is broken, there are numerous holes in the floors and the place is generally pretty ghetto.

It is miswired though, so I don't pay for electricity. This cancels out a *lot* of the issues.

I really really need to get a job so I can move ...
Maybe check the throw out switch on the power board just to see that it works because termites will eat into the elecs cables and maybe cause a fire,, does the property have any fire-smoke mode detectors because something can go up in flames very quickly..imho..

Your landlord sounds like a piece of work. How can he sleep at night with a woman and children in such a place. I'd be reporting him for lack of smoke detectors for starters... and then move onto the other stuff.

Honestly, if it is as bad as you say, then you could get things fixed that are so dangerous if they are not looked after quick-smart, but my understanding is that you need to pay and then claim it back from the landlord (can anyone confirm that?)

You are stuck between a rock and a hard place through. Where do you go when you don't have a job.? I really hope someone here can help you into a place. You clearly can manage to pay the rent, but I know that is small comfort if an agent will not consider you due to lack of a job.

I have rather a lot of money in the bank, plus a side not-work income that is higher than someone on a lowish wage.

I got a carpenter in early this morning, he was there for a few hours. Replaced the lot, $400. Door hasn't looked this good and been this easy to open and close ... ever :D

I'm just going to pay him $400 less rent this week.

If you're comfortably showing a bank statement, you may get a property... May.

I'd still be looking to leave though, sounds VERY dodgy. You and the kids may just fall through the floor!

Good for you to have this fixed today. I'd now be continuing down the list of "urgent" items. Of course, you need to let the landlord or PM know first there are urgent problems and if they ignore them, I'd be getting them fixed (like you've done with the door). Check if they fall into the category of being "urgent" first, of course, so you know you will definitely be reimbursed.

Did you approach the landlord before you got the door replaced? Make sure they know what happened and give them a copy of the receipt. Non payment of rent without a solid agreed reason can cause problems later.

Did you approach the landlord before you got the door replaced? Make sure they know what happened and give them a copy of the receipt. Non payment of rent without a solid agreed reason can cause problems later.

Post 4 says he has known for quite a while so I reckon RE is fine with the door fix that landlord has not bothered to do.

Make sure the other dangerous issues are documented and if they are not fixed, I'd be looking at doing the same. You don't want your kids or yourself falling through the stairs.

I don't think anything else is urgent urgent.

He's turning a blind eye to my cat and me hacking the plumbing upstairs to install a washing machine. Nice enough guy and I've had some good chats with him and quite like him, but the complete lack of a closeable front door isn't something you can let go ...

The landlord's family owns a fair chunk of properties on my street (its the main street in the area) and has a reputation for slumlording. Carpenter noticed that the building next to mine is missing most of its windows ... apparently they just keep falling out ...

Reactions to my place from visitors range from "Argh" to "oh this place is awesome" and the invariable renovator wannabe who wanders around getting excited at all the stuff they'd do to it. Yeah, rental, stop that ...

I don't think anything else is urgent urgent.

He's turning a blind eye to my cat and me hacking the plumbing upstairs to install a washing machine. Nice enough guy and I've had some good chats with him and quite like him, but the complete lack of a closeable front door isn't something you can let go ...

The landlord's family owns a fair chunk of properties on my street (its the main street in the area) and has a reputation for slumlording. Carpenter noticed that the building next to mine is missing most of its windows ... apparently they just keep falling out ...

Reactions to my place from visitors range from "Argh" to "oh this place is awesome" and the invariable renovator wannabe who wanders around getting excited at all the stuff they'd do to it. Yeah, rental, stop that ...

WTF I think the way you and others are living is a disgrace , I feel sorry for you living like this,but it seems you kind of shrug the condition of the house as no big deal if it was me I would not put myself or family in these conditions,most landlords repair and replace what is needed he is not a nice guy at all he is a piece of work.
Macca446

These things sound kind of bad... :confused:

Back