No More "Big Australia" (?)

The populate or perish argument is probably the strongest argument for big australia.

However, a large population is only a good deterrent/defense if you can convince enough to don a uniform and get shot at.

There's two types that resist taking orders to get shot at - the more educated peace loving conscientious objectors, and the poorly brought up troubled kids with adhd, poor impulse control, no self discipline, little effective education, maybe the apathy of welfare mentality or being overindulged by baby boomer and Gen X parents. Unfortunately, those two groups constitute the bulk of Australian youth.

Further, strong effective defense is dependent on the marrying of a large minimally educated reasonably disciplined underclass that can be persuaded to get shot at, and the concentrated wealth to develop a technological advantage in weapons systems.

Even if Australia grew its population up to 50 million, I don't think we have the right culture, or multiple cultures :rolleyes:, to get a disciplined and mentally, emotionally and physically fit defense force together. Nor would the electorate tolerate a significant portion of GDP being spent on defence capabilities.

So in my view, Australia has evolved a culture/multiculture that ensures its own demise.....It is a sitting duck for China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Pakistan, or even India, to take whenever they choose. And don't rely on the US cavalry to save us. Julia Gillard wanted to break the ANZUS Treaty in a previous role.

Last edited:
unfortunately you are probably right WW. even more unfortunately for Perth, Darwin and Brisb, the old WW2 border would probably be redrawn, whereby the aussies would be allowed to reside in the south east corner. the resources will need to be surrendered.

unfortunately you are probably right WW. even more unfortunately for Perth, Darwin and Brisb, the old WW2 border would probably be redrawn, whereby the aussies would be allowed to reside in the south east corner. the resources will need to be surrendered.

You two have been smoking something. Why would China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Pakistan, or even India, even worry about taking over the country itself, when they are already doing it in other ways. China is buying up bits of Australia. We happily offsource our critical IT (banking, etc) to India, and we loose the knowledge here. In 10-20yrs, India and China will have control over banking systems (IT systems), and China over the resources without having fired a shot.

An aggressive invader would do the same to us as China did to Tibet. Horde us into the fields and mines to produce, and exterminate or drive out the rest.

An invader wouldn't have much need for a lazy, obese population that squanders 70% of its GDP exchanging services.

If the Chinese invaded, they'd have 5-10 million resettled here quick smart, same as in Tibet.

Someone should do a futuristic movie along these lines. Maybe they could call it Mad Max 5 (4 is due out in 2012).

No doubt it would touch the collective unconscious of many Australians.

I once worked out that you could fit Rudd's "Big Australia" into Tasmania with the same population density as Belgium and the Netherlands.

I lived in Holland for a few years, and have a soft spot for the country. That said, it's not somewhere with particularly pretty rural landscapes due to the number of people living there.

My guess is that we're going to see lower levels of immigration into New South Wales, Queensland and Victoria, and maintaining higher levels into the Northern Territories, South Australia and Western Australia.

Why would China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Pakistan, or even India, even worry about taking over the country itself, when they are already doing it in other ways.

1. To create a well endowed Islamic State for the glory of Allah.

2. To spread their population a little more comfortably.

3. Maybe as they get wealthier, they'll develop an appetite for beach front property.

4. Why did the Japanese invade Pearl Harbor?

5. Why did Hitler invade Europe?

We are still Homo Sapien Sapiens Bluestorm. the same genetic makeup we've had for the last 3000 years.

lots of interesting 'side debates' going on.

But this is a property forum,
now the first thought that comes to mind is
WHAT WILL THE IMPACT ON RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY PRICES.

one of the arguments used to support ever increasing prices has been australia's strong population growth.

Reduce the growth, you reduce the pool of buyers,
Price at the margin= ((Purchase price x number of buyers)/(sale price x number of sellers)x the pyschological market play))
The pyschological market play is a variable that moves around and is partially determined by the price at the margin (so it both effects and is effected by the price at the margin).

Maybe something to consider

Of course from the standpoint of property investors, we would like more immigration. But for the sake of our children and grandchildren, keep Australia beautiful and sparsely populated, this is very precious, don't want to live like sardines.

what on earth gives any of us the right to deny opportunities in Australia to people from anywhere in the world who are willing to work and contribute to our economy?

be overwhelmingly burdened by having to support this evergrowing mass of bludgers (as well as an aging population).

JASA

The unemployment rate is as low as it's been for decades. You must be getting carried away a bit. Take a deep breath.

I don't see the average Aussie suburb turning into a seething mass of bludgers needing immigrants to do the work? Where do you live?

We are a democracy. We can choose the amount of immigrants we want. With a birth rate of below 2 kids per woman we can choose the exact level of population we want by adding fewer or more immigrants. We can choose the standard of living we want.

Everyone in the world can choose the standard of living they want by the population they have. If India is happy with a billion people, then good on em, but they must realise that they can never ever have the standard of living we enjoy. If Bangladesh wants 160 million people on a land area twice the size of Tasmania, than good on em too, but they must realise that there will be a lot of misery. Ethiopia has 80 million and are heading to 170 million in a generation. They had 40 million when the famine in 1985 happened. Good on them too, I'm happy for them if they are happy and I'll get to sell them more grain. It's a win allround for everyone.

In so many of these population threads I've been told there is nothing we can do about the high growth rate. Well that's rubbish. No one I knew thought it was a good idea, and now the people have voted. The politicians have no other option than to do what the people want, or be voted out and our growth rate will now drop. A good outcome.

See ya's.

one of the arguments used to support ever increasing prices has been australia's strong population growth.

Reduce the growth, you reduce the pool of buyers,

Maybe something to consider

That's it..??. Your onto something here IV.

Must go and buy in the countries with the highest growth rates to get the best real estate returns. I must go and buy in Niger, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, Burundi, Kuwait, Gaza Strip, Ethiopia, Mayotte, Western Sahara, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Might be away for a while. Why didn't I think of this investment strategy?

See ya's.

That's it..??. Your onto something here IV.

Must go and buy in the countries with the highest growth rates to get the best real estate returns. I must go and buy in Niger, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, Burundi, Kuwait, Gaza Strip, Ethiopia, Mayotte, Western Sahara, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Might be away for a while. Why didn't I think of this investment strategy?

See ya's.

come on topcropper, i said one of the factors, not the sole determining factor.

or are you suggesting that population growth has no impact on property prices?:eek:

and now the people have voted. The politicians have no other option than to do what the people want, or be voted out and our growth rate will now drop. A good outcome.

well the prime minister that was voted in had an agenda of a big australia. Our new PM unelect has a differing vision. your statement is at complete odds with what the public actually elected.

btw how much longer must we endure this unmandated government?

The misconception of many people is they don't realise they vote for which political party to be the government, the party chooses who will be the party leader, and hence the PM.

it may be a misconception however this is the stuff of banana republics.... ousting a legitimiate PM on a party whim, incredible!

Are you on drugs? :confused:
I don't want Australia to end up like India and China, that's been the point of my posts!

I think he was taking the mick. Biggles has (to put it politely) views that are as robust and balanced as any taxi drivers. She'd never contemplate living in China or India, let alone marry someone from those countries.

She'd never contemplate living in China or India, let alone marry someone from those countries.

So now I'm a racist? :confused:
I agree, I would never live in India or China, but wouldn't rule out marrying someone from that nationality who lived here in Australia. Lots of negative people on this forum who like to put words into other peoples mouths and assume the worst of everyone.

well the prime minister that was voted in had an agenda of a big australia. ?

Did he? I don't remember him saying he was going to double the immigration rate if elected in 2007.

Our new PM unelect has a differing vision. your statement is at complete odds with what the public actually elected.

btw how much longer must we endure this unmandated government?

Julia probably does believe in a big Australia, or maybe not? Who knows? As handy andy says, it's electioneering. They have thown Kev out, and he is going to cop the blame for all the stuff ups, and Julia was hiding in a cupboard when the big decisions were made. It doesn't really matter now. They have gotten rid of the 'Big Australia' as it was unpopular, and as I said, the people have voted and got their way and I very much doubt we will hit 36 million in 2050 now.

See ya's.

Last edited:
An aggressive invader would do the same to us as China did to Tibet. Horde us into the fields and mines to produce, and exterminate or drive out the rest.

An invader wouldn't have much need for a lazy, obese population that squanders 70% of its GDP exchanging services.

If the Chinese invaded, they'd have 5-10 million resettled here quick smart, same as in Tibet.

Someone should do a futuristic movie along these lines. Maybe they could call it Mad Max 5 (4 is due out in 2012).

No doubt it would touch the collective unconscious of many Australians.

"Collective unconscious" is a great term for the types of people that would buy into that.

where will 40mil go?

not all in Western Sydney - another NSW shortsighted thought train...:rolleyes:

how about growing the town that need growth to continue and to prosper and minimise the stranglehold that higher prices have on these places....?

i dunno - how about....mmmm, Karratha? Darwin? Port Hedland? Gladstone? Alice Springs?

there's more to life than Western Sydney and Toorak.

? are you seriously comparing western sydney with toorak:confused:

Back