No response from ATO RE: variation....

Hi i submitted my variation to ATO more than two weeks ago... but still haven't got a response.

it's a new application. reason for negative gearing...

it's just 1 property. how long does it normally take at this time?

what does the response look like?

email back? or phone call?

i got 2 missed calls from a blocked number just wondering if that's it. I missed the call will ATO just give up and throw my application at the bottom of the file because they think i was being a jerk and not answering them?? :confused:

From the time I lodged it online to receiving my completed advice back via Australia post from the ATO's processing HQ in Brisbane was 10 calendar days. Thats including the weekend & 4 days it took Australia Post to deliver it.

When you sent it online did you receive a reference number to confirm your application was electronically transferred successfully? A reference number should pop up on your screen within 2 minutes after you press the application submit button on the last page of your application to confirm transfer was successful.

Also within 24/48 hours you should of received an email from the ATO stating your application has been received and is being processed.

Did you receive either of these? If you did, then phone them and quote your reference number provided. If you didnt then I think you will probably need to resubmit your application, making sure you receive the reference number.

If you dont want to submit in online then phone the ATO ask them to send you a hard copy application, fill it out and send back via Australia Post.

I hope this helps.

The service charter is 28 days. If they are true to form on day 28 you may get a call advising its delayed cause you left off the name of HR contact and they tried to contact you. Yes they give up and it goes to the "send a letter" action pile. The 28 day clock then restarts.

You can quote the reference no and call them. Your email confirmation will have the number for that team. They generally will give one of two responses
1. Its in progress..
2. We need more info and tried to contact you .....
Two weeks is a normal at this time of peak demand for variations.

Australian tax returns are processed incredibly fast. My Swiss tax return typically takes over 16 months to get processed, if there are any issues they can take years.

Mine took a while, when I followed up they said the timeframe for 'paper' applications was up to 56 days.

You and your employer get a letter when its done saying what percentage of PAYG tax the employer needs to take out.

Mine took a while, when I followed up they said the timeframe for 'paper' applications was up to 56 days.

You and your employer get a letter when its done saying what percentage of PAYG tax the employer needs to take out.

I can confirm the 56 days service level. Of course thats a maximum.

I have had a variation done in each of my last 2 roles. One took 1 week, the other 4 weeks.

After 2 weeks I wouldn't be concerned. I suspect you want to receive the variation quickly so your payroll can apply the new tax rates!

Dont ever lodge a paper withholding variation application. In fact dont lodge paper returns for anything with the ATO if you can avoid it. The online version is bullet proof as its all loaded straight into their system with error checking built in. The paper version has to be rekeyed...

If you sent a paper copy you can do an electronic one and it will beat it. The paper one shouldnt conflict.

https://www.ato.gov.au/misc/formflo...PAYG+withholding+e-variation+application+2015

Dont ever lodge a paper withholding variation application. In fact dont lodge paper returns for anything with the ATO if you can avoid it. The online version is bullet proof as its all loaded straight into their system with error checking built in. The paper version has to be rekeyed...

If you sent a paper copy you can do an electronic one and it will beat it. The paper one shouldnt conflict.

https://www.ato.gov.au/misc/formflo...PAYG+withholding+e-variation+application+2015

If it was bullet proof I wouldnt have had to send the paper one in......

Im a broker, I deal with data entry loading loan applications into bank systems every day. Ive done the last 10 years with PAYG variations.

It aint bullet proof.

Time for tax variation form

I sent in an electronic tax variation form, after a few issues, mid June and have received a confirmation letter saying tax income has been adjusted and pay office notified, this week.

Very happy with the prompt service

Kevin

Back