No Topic

W

WebBoard

Can anyone tell me how important a bath is to tenants.
We are renovating our home which will shortly become our first IP and as it is very small we were considering putting in a shower only.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Not very important if you're a pommie

ONLY KIDDING!!!

Reply: 1.1

Yes it is

We have to keep the coal in something

Lifes a beach at Caves

Chris

Reply: 1.1.1

If you don't have a bath where are you going to put the beer if you have a party.

Reply: 1.1.2

Look at similar properties in the area. Check with several Properties Managers. They will know. In my opinion, property managers are a mine of information.

Deb
Melb Freestyler Co-ordinator

No Topic - Bathrooms

Reply: 1.1.2.1

Jan

If you expect to attract a tenant with children, or someone who likes to relax in the tub, then no bath means no interest.

However, if a lack of space means the shower would be over the bath, then that might be difficult for people with mobility problems.

A shower over a 'hip bath', provided that an adult could comfortably reach in to bathe a child, would be a compromise, but perhaps safer in terms of slip / risk management. Make sure the base of the bath has grip patterns, and that the length of 'stretch' needed to access the lower taps is safe, and that the taps will not present a hazard to someone standing in the bath/shower.

Try to imagine 'who will be the tenant', and if the area has older people, consider grab rails, non-slip floor coverings or whatever.

When we redecorated a bathroom inbetween tenants, we bolted full length towel rails through the plaster to the wall studs, one at usual height and one at architrave height, because the wall had obviously had many towel rails fixed to it over the years, with the holes in the walls as witness. We also fixed towel rails to the back of the bathroom door. Overkill? No, the new tenants moved in with five children, stayed five years, and after they vacated, all towel rails were as secure as we had fitted them.

We also installed ducted heating, and included a duct in the bathroom under said towel rails, and one in the laundry, which then acted as a drying room, and they didn't need to install an electric drier, again saving wall holes.

Even a small bathroom can provide a bit extra, without a lot of expense. It's all in the planning.

Good luck - hope you get a five year tenant!

Kristine

No Topic - Bathrooms

Reply: 1.1.2.1.1

Thanks Kristine. That was a very good answer. That's what I was trying to say but you said it much better.

Deb

PS: I'll tuck it away for the future, too.

No Topic - Bathrooms

Reply: 1.1.2.1.1.1

Indeed, no house or unit that I have ever lived in has had sufficient towel rails in the bathroom - and we do not even have kids.

Provided that they do not get in the way of easy access to all bathroom facilities, you can never have too many towel rails !

sim.gif

Last edited:
Back