Noel Whittaker

Many here will know of Noel Whittaker - highly respected and knowledgeable commentator and participant in the world of investment.

I received his latest email newsletter today:

"HOUSING AFFORDABILITY

For months there have been headlines galore about the rental crisis, but you have to experience it firsthand to get an inkling of how tough it is now for prospective tenants. Actually, in my own case, it’s second hand, because it is my daughter who has been going through the trauma of looking for a place of her own, and who finds herself being asked to join a “caravan” of 20 or so prospective tenants who are required by the real estate agent to turn up at an appointed time to take a whirlwind tour of one of the few properties that are available. Those who like the property are then invited to make applications and submit bids.

The situation can only get worse with rents tipped to rise by as much as 50 percent in the next four years.

The problems began around 2000, when world share markets plunged and investors everywhere fled from shares to the perceived safety of property. As a result, house prices started to rise and a worldwide property boom got underway.

This flight to property was exacerbated in Australia because the Howard Government introduced the First Home Owners Grant to compensate for the GST, but made the mistake of including it for the purchase of established homes, even though they are not subject to GST.

It’s hard to believe today but in 1977 in Brisbane, average earnings were $14,410 a year and a house cost around $31,000 – just 2.15 times earnings. Prices crept up slowly, but by the year 2000 the average house still cost $143,000 or 3.44 times the then average wage. Thanks to the boom house prices skyrocketed in the period between 2000 and 2007, and the average price of a home now is $410,000, or more than seven times earnings.

Think about it in practical terms. A first home buyer who wants to buy a $410,000 house, the average price, will have to save at least a $50,000 deposit and then have the ability to make mortgage repayments of $2900 a month or $667 a week. It’s obvious why there is a rent crisis.

The Rudd government has announced a significantly expanded national rental affordability scheme to encourage investors to build up to 100,000 new affordable rental properties. Under the scheme, the Commonwealth will provide private investors with tax credits for 10 years for new properties that are rented at 20 percent below the prevailing market value. To further assist prospective landlords, State and Territory governments have agreed to provide $2000 a home by way of cash payments or concessions on stamp duty.

That all looks good on paper, but it’s a lousy deal for mum and dad investors. On the government’s own figures, the rent on a three bedroom home would fall from $350 to $280 a week, which is a reduction in rent to the landlord of $3640 a year. After allowing for the $6000 tax credit, they are only $2360 a year better off than if they went their own way and found their own tenants. To make it worse, they are now locked in to a rent controlled environment, and all the problems that go with that.

There are also huge potential problems if they wish to resell. Does the buyer raise the rent and forego the tax benefits, or do they look for a less restricted investment in which to place their hard earned dollars? Recently I took part in a debate on this on ABC Radio National on their Australia Talks programme. One of the other panellists was Professor Terry Burke, Professor of Housing Studies, Swinburne University Institute for Social Research. He claimed the scheme had worked well in Germany and was aimed mainly at institutional investors. Frankly, if I was CEO of a large institution, that’s the last place I’d want to put any part of the company’s assets."

Good luck with that, Lapdance Kev.

I have AWOTE at $212.50 a week for 1977, Noels figures are higher than this though in a similar ballpark.

Is that housing price a median for Sydney? For Brisbane 10k still bought you a lot of house at various points in the 70's in the burbs, though it was a high inflation decade and wages and prices and commodities were on a fast increase. I could dig up more accurate data from my own research but the basic assumption that in terms of individual earnings and yield multiples housing is much higher now is correct.

All the old problems of dealing with medians and making assumptions based on these raise their head in this article. If you are earning 50k, have no significant assets and need to spend 410k on your first home in Brisbane then.... what do you expect if not financial stress? You could move out a bit further closer to a transport hub and pick a unit up comfortably for 200-250 and even a house <300 still, they won't have a granite kitchen and view of the water but they will have a roof and come with an affordable mortgage.

Think about it in practical terms. A first home buyer who wants to buy a $410,000 house, the average price, will have to save at least a $50,000 deposit and then have the ability to make mortgage repayments of $2900 a month or $667 a week. It’s obvious why there is a rent crisis.

I can't wrap my head around the idea that there is a rent crisis because houses are expensive to buy? Does that one make any sense? I might just be too tired to understand that one.

The risk that the 'imbalance' in earnings to house price multiples we might presently be experiencing for housing will be corrected by a 'melt up' in rents doesn't seem to get much air play here, though it's not the most silly scenario I have seen.

Also... I have to phone my PM about raising some rents..

I can't wrap my head around the idea that there is a rent crisis because houses are expensive to buy? Does that one make any sense? I might just be too tired to understand that one.

The risk that the 'imbalance' in earnings to house price multiples we might presently be experiencing for housing will be corrected by a 'melt up' in rents doesn't seem to get much air play here, though it's not the most silly scenario I have seen.

Also... I have to phone my PM about raising some rents..

That quote you used with my name on it wasn't actually something I said; it was Noel's excerpt.

It all makes sense to me; there are always more people entering the home-hunting scene; kids leaving school and getting jobs, moving out of home etc. Most of them will be looking to rent first, then buy later on when they have saved a deposit for the McMansion 5 metres from the CBD.

If the houses are too expensive to buy (and this is a debatable point - more like people are too choosy and have too high expectations of what their first home/Taj Mahal should be) then less people will be leaving the rental market to buy their home.

And less investors will want to buy homes to rent out, since high prices will likely mean low yields and relatively low CG for a while.

GP

I agree with LAA on this one- more people have to rent, for longer, if they can't afford to buy.

But it goes both ways.

If rents are going higher, more investors will want to buy. Yields have been low for a while- but with rents going up much faster than prices, investors will want to get in.

Plan- make kids save so they are not at the mercy of renting

Our 27 year old son budgeted and saved his $69,000 deposit over 8 years and has now moved into his PPOR in Logan Shire ( 5 minutes out of Brisbane Council area). Repayments approximatley $2K per month I/O offset account

Our 25 year old daughter previously moved out of home twice to rent and returned home to save her deposit, we will shortly start building a duplex with her so she can move out of home for the last time (as I am tired of her not cleaning up as she goes eg. messy bedroom, bathroom etc.)

I do not want either children to be at the mercy of finding decent accommodation & flat mates again.

Son lived in a dump in Brisbane with a flatmate from the weird side prior to buying his PPOR - great life experience (flatmate told lies, at times would not speak to son for weeks on end, often spent rent money on on money toy cars etc.)

Daughter's first flatmate thought our daughter should do what flatmate's Mother had done previously eg. washing, ironing, cleaning.

Daughter's second flatmate moved her boyfriend into to flat and continued to split rent and utility bills into 2 instead of 3.

NOW
I am looking forward to not having to shut daughter's messy bedroom door. I have had many discussions with daughter and do not wish to have verbal fights - so I grit my teeth.

FUTURE
We may have to help daughter out finanically (eg. pay her rates) if interest rates continue to rise - but we will have a clean and tidy house and I will be pleased.

Cheers
Sheryn

Last edited:
This has been building up over 7 years and we are facing an enormous mess. All the price signals are so wrong and therefore the housing market is failing.

You just wait - the finger pointing will begin soon as governments of all levels try to wash their hands of it.

Son lived in a dump in Brisbane with a flatmate from the weird side prior to buying his PPOR - great life experience (flatmate told lies, at times would not speak to son for weeks on end, often spent rent money on on money toy cars etc.)

Daughter's first flatmate thought our daughter should do what flatmate's Mother had done previously eg. washing, ironing, cleaning.

Daughter's second flatmate moved her boyfriend into to flat and continued to split rent and utility bills into 2 instead of 3.

Sheryn, flatmates like these are precisely what finally spurred me to buy my first house and now I can't thank them enough.

Our 25 year old daughter previously moved out of home twice to rent and returned home to save her deposit, we will shortly start building a duplex with her so she can move out of home for the last time (as I am tired of her not cleaning up as she goes eg. messy bedroom, bathroom etc.)

Sheryn,
Sounds just like my Daughter. Love her heaps, but geez when she finally bought a place with her partner, it made life so much easier at home.
My son still lives here but he is not as messy. Suggested he invest in his own place, but when he did the number crunching, surprise surprise, he decided it would be better for him to stay with us rent free and maybe buy an investment property.

I am concerned about affordabilty, because the gap is getting wider and wider due to property rising at about 7-8% and wages about 4%. I dont believe there will be the big collapse that some seem to think will happen, but maybe at some stage property will only keep up with inflation and not do better.

Noel Whittaker's comments, as quoted by Marc (above).

It’s hard to believe today but in 1977 in Brisbane, average earnings were $14,410 a year and a house cost around $31,000 – just 2.15 times earnings. Prices crept up slowly, but by the year 2000 the average house still cost $143,000 or 3.44 times the then average wage. Thanks to the boom house prices skyrocketed in the period between 2000 and 2007, and the average price of a home now is $410,000, or more than seven times earnings.

I was reading a very interesting article last week in relation to the question of housing affordability (sorry, can't remember where - 'old timers' disease, as my girls would say)!

It said that housing affordability (for both purchase and rental purposes) was usually expressed as a percentage of AWOTE (Average Weekly Ordinary Time Earnings). Noel's figure of $410,000 for recent years reflects this (current 'average earnings' are around $58,000).

The article also pointed out that many people forget that there are a considerable number of households where there are two incomes (albeit that one may be part-time) to service the loan/rental commitments. Of course, the other side of the coin is that many households only have one income to service their housing commitments, so there would certainly be households that are hurting.

Surely this calls into question the validity of these statistics as a realistic measure of housing affordability.

I would be interested in forumites' comments.

Cheers
LynnH

This has been building up over 7 years and we are facing an enormous mess. All the price signals are so wrong and therefore the housing market is failing.

You just wait - the finger pointing will begin soon as governments of all levels try to wash their hands of it.

With every passing year, price overshoots should revert to mean and Sydney has been doing that since 2003? Like current petrol price hike and its impact on our choice of commuting vehicle, consequently reduction in total mileage reliant on petrol.

I thought there was a wave of finger pointing; insufficient land release, level of state levies, migration level, infrastructures, lack of Fannie Mae type bonds for mortgage funding, planning red tape, etc.

Perhaps, you know more about the machination of governments' priority and further initiatives in the pipe-line that you could share with us? :)

Alright, I'm going to throw an idea out, and could be totally wrong, so please tell me if there's an obvious flaw in my thinking. This article is referring to renting, but he refers to the median house price vs income figures.

How accurate is the median value when debating for first home buyers/renters?

First, let me say I agree that median value is still the best method when looking at suburb/city prices as opposed to mean. That is not the point I'm trying to make.

BUT

As Australia’s population expands (especially with immigration), unless the birth rate dramatically increases from say the current 2.3 I think it is to, say 4 children per couple – won’t FHB’s become proportionately less and less of the entire Australian property buying market?

Unless the birth rate increases as mentioned above, the proportion of the people buying their first house (ie. cheaper houses) will continue to slide. But everyone else buying more expensive houses will mean that the median will continue to be dragged up regardless of activity at the bottom of the market since they will become increasingly out numbered?

Someone smarter than me could probably make a spreadsheet that illustrates the continually falling proportion of FHB's relative to the entire buying market. But I'm hoping you get my idea. Or am I way off the mark with my thinking on this?

It said that housing affordability (for both purchase and rental purposes) was usually expressed as a percentage of AWOTE (Average Weekly Ordinary Time Earnings)...........

Surely this calls into question the validity of these statistics as a realistic measure of housing affordability.
Hi LynnH,

The RBA agrees with you. They think the ratio of median house price to AWOTE is not particularly useful. Everyone except FHBs have a deposit (from sale of previous PPOR) to fund part of the deposit, so they are borrowing (a lot) less than 80%.

The RBA prefers to use the ratio of AWOTE of 25-39year olds (ie the major FHB segment) to the price of a 30th percentile house (ie the type of house a FHB should:rolleyes: be aspiring to). This is a far more useful measure of affordability IMO.

The 30th percentile house is a fair bit cheaper than a 50th percentile (median) house.

For more info see this thread and the RBA doco referenced there.

Incidentally the graph shows that the 25-39yo segment is in the best financial position to buy a house since 1982.

Cheers Keith

Our 27 year old son budgeted and saved his $69,000 deposit over 8 years and has now moved into his PPOR in Logan Shire ( 5 minutes out of Brisbane Council area). Repayments approximatley $2K per month I/O offset account

I do not want either children to be at the mercy of finding decent accommodation & flat mates again.

NOW
I am looking forward to not having to shut daughter's messy bedroom door. I have had many discussions with daughter and do not wish to have verbal fights - so I grit my teeth.

FUTURE
We may have to help daughter out finanically (eg. pay her rates) if interest rates continue to rise - but we will have a clean and tidy house and I will be pleased.

Cheers
Sheryn

Our 6.5 year old son has been brainwashed by me since he began receiving pocketmoney at aged 5.

He gets $1 for each year of life (so now he gets $6), and has to give me back 20% straight away for his house.

The rest he can spend on whatever he likes, but he knows what the 20% is for, which is the main point of the exercise.

As well as this, we secretly put a small amount ($30 per month) into an ING account for him every month.

Probably not worth the effort due to tax and inflation, but he gets to see the balance online and sees the interest accruing each statement. Eventually there will be a decent amount for him to play with - I'm thinking 18th birthday.

He already knows we own a number of houses, so he is already comfortable with the idea of buying and owning multiple properties.

At aged 6 my parents were still renters.

The RBA agrees with you. They think the ratio of median house price to AWOTE is not particularly useful.

keithj - I agree average earnings is not useful - but comparing to "incomes" as a general concept is useful. The following is one of my favourite quotes ....

Housing prices are very, very high relative to income. Glenn Stevens - RBA - Apr 4, 2008

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23483106-953,00.html

I think it is pointless trying to argue that they aren't expensive and it is all an aspirational crisis - the evidence is overwhelming that they are just plain expensive. Personally I won't be affected - I'm fortunate to have a good income - but I am concerned for society. The regular income people (people we need such as nurses, teachers, academics etc) who aren't already in the market will be very unhappy they weren't born 10 years earlier. I expect many of them will leave the country.

Great article Keith, thanks for that.

An interesting quote:

The estimates suggest that in four of the major capitals, around 30–35 per cent of transacted dwellings (houses and apartments) would have been accessible to the median household in the home-buying age groups in 2006/07 (Graph 5). Perth was the exception, where only around 10 per cent of dwellings would have been accessible. Taking account of accessibility outside the capital cities, we estimate that on a nationwide average basis around 33 per cent of transacted dwellings would have been accessible to the median young household in 2006/07, compared with a longer-run average of around 45 per cent. Of course accessibility would have been much lower for many lower-income households.11

So affordability is declining, but 33% of the total amount of sold dwellings are within reach of FHB's. So if I was a FHB tomorrow and I looked on REA.com at a capital city - one in every 3 listings on average would be within my reach (obviously area dependent).

Perhaps not as much as they'd like, but I wouldn't call it a crisis yet. But that's just me I guess.

Our 6.5 year old son has been brainwashed by me since he began receiving pocketmoney at aged 5.

He gets $1 for each year of life (so now he gets $6), and has to give me back 20% straight away for his house.

The rest he can spend on whatever he likes, but he knows what the 20% is for, which is the main point of the exercise.

As well as this, we secretly put a small amount ($30 per month) into an ING account for him every month.

Probably not worth the effort due to tax and inflation, but he gets to see the balance online and sees the interest accruing each statement. Eventually there will be a decent amount for him to play with - I'm thinking 18th birthday.

He already knows we own a number of houses, so he is already comfortable with the idea of buying and owning multiple properties.

At aged 6 my parents were still renters.

Well done LA,

we do the same with our daughter aged seven and a half. She now helps me search for properties online and her favourite website is google earth.

There is a paucity of financial education here and probably globally. Our children are exposed to enough negativity and poverty/limitation consciousness by their teachers, peers, media, well meaning relatives, etc, etc. We need to combat that by guiding them and most importantly "walking our talk".

Any gifts she receives in cash has a witholding of 30 % that goes into her "pay myself first account". Her tax rate is higher than your sons :rolleyes: . She now asks how much rent will "that property" give us daddy? Kids are the champion of questions.....the more we teach them and involve them in our endeavours, the more they ask and the more they learn. It is our moral obligation to bring them up as good custodians of their money and lead by example that we don't always need to have everything we see, all the time at the same time.

Back