Noise Reduction by Foam Insulation

Hi guys,
I have recently bought a 1930's weatherboard home in Melbourne. We are finding the house noisy at night due to a freeway about 500 yards away.
The sound is not very distinct, rather like the sound of ducted heating (i.e a low constant woosh type sound).

I find the sound annoying and it disturbs my sleep so I am investigating ways to reduce the noise.

We also have some street noise but this is magnified for me because of I've never lived in a bungalow before. Overall the street itself is pretty quiet so it's more the 'ambient' traffic noise that is a concern.

I am looking at getting Polyurethane foam insulation (http://www.insulfoamsolutions.com.au/). It costs approx 2.5k for walls and 2.5k for floors. The guy I spoke to really knew his stuff, very helpful and no pressure.

Has anyone installed this product and what is their report on how effective the foam was in reducing noise

cheers

My say,
find a Holmes on homes episode, he blows the trumpet of this stuff on almost every show,
air leaks, thermal leaks, sound leaks, CO leaks from garage-house, it seems good for everything
from the literature it seems it will also 'rigidify'(?) the walls and reduce creaking
BASF advertising film
If I had 450K laying around at the moment, i would buy a truck fitted out for this stuff, 'cking brilliant.
Nearest contractor is 2 provinces away

airtight waterproof easy to install
R7.5/inch comes out of the gun and expands up to 3-4 inches, 22 > R > 30,
pink batts, about R0.5 per inch,
wall batts are R1.5, not airtight, not waterproof, not rodent proof

pink batts cost bout the same as the foam

Last edited:
Back