Noise reduction - Windows

hi trogdor, could you please post here when you have got your certaintied window installed in your bedroom??

I really want to know whether it solved your noise problem or not :)

thinking of getting one myself but only if it works on someone else:p

Sure, I can be the very expensive gineau pig :)

For what it's worth, .... when I built our house, apart from putting insulation batts in all the walls, I used expandable foam in a can around all window/door frames, .... We only have normal glass in windows and doors, but the noise reduction from using the expandable foam is excellent.

Maybe try removing the window frame architrave and spray in some expandable foam if you want a cheap option.

Martin

I spoke with them, they acknowledge that their windows have a lower accoustic reduction rating than Certainteed's, hence the Certainteed path.

How much cheaper do you think they would be, out of interest?

I think you'll find they're about half the price of Certainteed. They might not be quite up there with Certainteed's sound insulation, but they're way better than Stop Noise.

thread revival!! :D allow me a quick rant for those interested.

my PPOR is on pacific hwy and when we moved in the traffic noise was ridiculous. we used rubber seal from bunnings to fill up all the gaps and that cut the noise in half, but only the living room floor-to-ceiling glass facing the highway was double-glazed - the study (also facing the highway) was not. also the bedroom window opened to a 'light shaft' in the middle of the apartment complex and one of the neighbours always talked ridiculously loud on the phone every day starting from 6am.

i researched lots of options including even DIY'ing the double-glazing. the DIY route cost about $150/sqm, magnetite $400/sqm, and anything glass well over $600/sqm. i visited the magnetite shop to get an idea of what moulding i'd need for DIY but could never find the right part, so just went with magnetite in the end.

and WOW does it make a difference! we have not heard the yapping neighbour ever since, and the study is now quiet enough to sleep in. our main objective was noise reduction but it's also much more comfortable in summer and winter too. the weather's getting pretty cold now, but we no longer have to sleep with the heater on.

the best thing about magnetite though is their professionalism. when the study secondary panel didn't fit properly, they trimmed it until it did. then i thought it was fine, but the guy (no more than 18 years old mind you) said "nah not good enough" and trimmed it again. and i'm calling them back to do the last of my non-double-glazed windows (a massive 1.5m x 2.3m one) which will let me say it's an all-double-glazed apartment :)

highly recommended, and would be happy to answer any questions about it.

I have a unit that I used to live in as a PPoR with the main bed on a main road. The existing window was a single 3mm (?) thick glass brush sealed window.

After doing some research on maximising the sound reduction, I came to the conclusion that replacing it with a double glazed window was a waste of money, and instead I had a chippie mate install a secondary 6mm thick qulon rubber sealed window, set back about 50mm from the existing window.

The difference was absolute night and day - it went from hearing every single car to only the occasional truck. I could turn off my "white noise" generator (very loud fan) and sleep easy.

However for maximum benefit its recommended to have a distance of around 100mm between windows.

Its not the best looking solution, but function over form and I haven't had any complaints from my tenant :)

Edit: from what I could gather, double glazing is best for thermal insulation, not noise insulation.

Back