Nollamara Development - Stage 1 (DA) WooHoo!!

Daveh;) For the laundries I'm defo gonna change them however I do like the idea you have of not supplying a trough and put the machine in a cupboard. I'll check out what the designer can do. thanks Dave[/QUOTE said:
I was thinking maybe ditch the trough too. I think a laundry is only good for sticking your pet in at night. Troughs only get used occasionally. When I lived in a unit, the laundry was in the garage down two flights of stairs. I'd use my toilet to put dirty mop water in.

Hi Westminster,

good ideas for sure, I don't however think the bins are something that needs to be done prior to DA however I'll still get them moved, I agree it would be noisy and possibly smelly and something I totally overlooked, it's a good pickup. The stores were originally access from outside but I wanted them accessed from the garage to provide more security and feel more safe to the tennent. What I'll prob do is ask to have them (the bins) located behind the stores and access will be via the foyer and they (the bins) will then also be hidden without the extra cost of the fence in the original design.

For the laundries I'm defo gonna change them however I do like the idea you have of not supplying a trough and put the machine in a cupboard. I'll check out what the designer can do.

thanks
Dave

Actually it does need to be done before DA ;)
No moving of external walls after DA is allowed. You can move internal walls if you need to but not significantly.
I have thought long and hard over cupboard laundries.

When you look at the design you need to imagine daily life in there.
- how to get from car to unit when raining
- how to put rubbish out
- who's bedrooms or living rooms butt together

Whilst your tenants don't always think this far it's good to supply a design which won't **** them off ;)

It's a pity you have to screen most of your balconies as that will make them feel smaller.

Argh I sooo want to print these plans out and get my red texta to it but I'm OS and can't.
I'll bug you next week when I'm back in Perth, but ......
1. Too many bins. This is city of Stirling and they do single bin recycling and you have 2 bins allocated per person
2. Many of the bathrooms have no windows and they do have an external wall so I don't get why they don't.

Argh I sooo want to print these plans out and get my red texta to it but I'm OS and can't.
I'll bug you next week when I'm back in Perth, but ......
1. Too many bins. This is city of Stirling and they do single bin recycling and you have 2 bins allocated per person
2. Many of the bathrooms have no windows and they do have an external wall so I don't get why they don't.

Hi Westminster, bug away :) All ideas are great, even if they don't work they always lead onto something else. Enjoy the hols, if you are indeed on hols.

By the way, I do like the designs and I just think some tweaks would make them better ;)
But sometimes the R codes, local by laws and $$$ get in the way lol

how did I miss this thread?

Paula's work is pretty good for sites like this. You're also in great hands with Nigel Sayers and I still stand by that regardless of HPG fall outs.

I will mirror all of Myf's comments except the windows comment. Windows closer than 1.5m can't get away with alternative fire solutions so you're staring down the barrel of fire dampeners, sprinklers etc.

When you're screening balconies you need to rake/raise ceilings to at least 28c, preferably 31c. When you take away a vista, you need to replace it with volume.

Not a fan of the living areas as a 2x2. Issue is 2x2s end up being shared about three quarters of the time. That's two unrelated people living in that space.....I only use those particular sizes in my inner city one-bedders....as long as they have a big balcony to compensate.

Regardless, valuers just see a 2x2. I see the exit strategy and selling OTP and that's my concern.

Multis in Nollamara have been a bit slow to catch on, the regs are three years old now and still not much on the ground. No one wants to be a pioneer, I guess.

Also to further the above, you're dealing with the City of Stirling.

Expect delays. These are not Paula's fault, these are not Momentum's fault. Stirling don't like multis, they approach them begrudgingly. I had 9x (1x1)s in Balga sail through on a completely compliant development in 4 months....and another 4x (2x2s) behind and existing house in Innaloo with a minor (minor!) parking, access issue for the front existing house and it took 13 months. Yep...count them....thirteen.

You want the proposal 99-100% AD.

how did I miss this thread?

Paula's work is pretty good for sites like this. You're also in great hands with Nigel Sayers and I still stand by that regardless of HPG fall outs.

I will mirror all of Myf's comments except the windows comment. Windows closer than 1.5m can't get away with alternative fire solutions so you're staring down the barrel of fire dampeners, sprinklers etc.

When you're screening balconies you need to rake/raise ceilings to at least 28c, preferably 31c. When you take away a vista, you need to replace it with volume.

Not a fan of the living areas as a 2x2. Issue is 2x2s end up being shared about three quarters of the time. That's two unrelated people living in that space.....I only use those particular sizes in my inner city one-bedders....as long as they have a big balcony to compensate.

Regardless, valuers just see a 2x2. I see the exit strategy and selling OTP and that's my concern.

Multis in Nollamara have been a bit slow to catch on, the regs are three years old now and still not much on the ground. No one wants to be a pioneer, I guess.

Thanks Aaron,

your input is greatly appreciated :)

What's the go with HPG fallout, would you mind filling me in via PM?

I will ensure balconies are 31c, I assumed they were already (doh! never assume).

What r u on about re unrelated people sharing the living room? I was thinking these units would be rented by young couples or single professionals working in the CBD. R u proposing tennents/room?

thanks
Dave

Also to further the above, you're dealing with the City of Stirling.

Expect delays. These are not Paula's fault, these are not Momentum's fault. Stirling don't like multis, they approach them begrudgingly. I had 9x (1x1)s in Balga sail through on a completely compliant development in 4 months....and another 4x (2x2s) behind and existing house in Innaloo with a minor (minor!) parking, access issue for the front existing house and it took 13 months. Yep...count them....thirteen.

You want the proposal 99-100% AD.

Yeah they let me know it could be a while but on the good side City of Stirling have just brought on 4 new town planners so hopefully that should speed things up a little.

It's funny cause we actually got WAPC approval for a single unit behind the existing property in 3 months just before xmas. We changed our mind and put in multi's and now have to go through all these delays, what a bummer :(

Thanks Daveh for this post; really appreciate the great insights and transparency. I have been following the forums now as a guest for some time and am preparing to make my first couple of IP decisions soon.

While I naturally lean towards a simpler buy & hold strategy, the wife and I are considering a development in Perth if we can find the right opportunity and ability to work with others with experience. Was interested to see that you found Momentum Wealth to be helpful. Could you share briefly what they did for you and how their fees worked into your IP?

Another interested thread, keep us posted on the progress (and with pictures) :D

One in West Syd which is booming and the other was in Perth which was OK but not as good as expected, and getting another one today in Perth and am very worried about this one because its over 1.5M not sure what it will come in at cos this market has not faired well over the last 5 years.

Cheers
MTR

How did you go MTR?

I was thinking maybe ditch the trough too. I think a laundry is only good for sticking your pet in at night. Troughs only get used occasionally. When I lived in a unit, the laundry was in the garage down two flights of stairs. I'd use my toilet to put dirty mop water in.

Come to think of it in our house the trough is hardly ever used also, even when soaking clothes we use a large plastic bucket. The washing machine outlet/overflow pipe residing in it gets used regularly though.

Hi folks,

time for an update.

We got final plans and tried to incorporate some of your ideas so thanks for your time and help. Somethings we just couldn't change like the bin locations due to the nature of the staged development.

I've managed to get just about everything I wanted changed without the plans being "destroyed" :) so overall very happy!

I've attached them below for your entertainment (how far that goes is up to you :) )

We've just lodged for the DA with Stirling council and it appears as though things have changed in their offices for the better. They have 6 new planners and we've been told this DA may only take around 4-8 weeks, what a change from the possibility of 6 to 12 MONTHS!

I may have the opertunity to build all 6 units at once, we're investigating this option and will keep you guys'n'gals updated when I have news.

The other thing happening now is we are going to tender for the construction. We'll also start looking at finishings etc.

Exciting times.
Dave

Attachments

• DA Plans.pdf
    6.1 MB · Views: 292
Looking good!

And fantastic news that CofS have put more staff on. I wouldn't count your chickens as we are reaching the tricky end of the year but I have my fingers crossed for you that you don't wait too long.

Thanks Westminster, I'm quite a positive person and hope this DA run smoothly however the realist in me knows anything can happen :)

Back