Non-disclosed SOLD prices

argh !

I am trying to help my parents to buy a unit (3BR) in a Victorian suburb. When i tried looking at the SOLD prices section on the Realestate.com and domain.com, all the prices are listed as "CONTACT AGENT".

Do i really have to contact them ? or is there another choice (free that is!) to get a good idea of the current sold prices?

Thankyou

does www.onthehouse.com.au cover Victoria? I know it does all of NSW and is currently being a pest as we are selling something for market value, that we bought 14 months ago at waaaaaaay under market value due to that vendor needs cash fast.

Means potential purchasers are looking at our "buy" price and asking why we think the value has gone up significantly ... the value hasn't gone up ... we just managed to snare a super bargin.

A lot of owners overvalue their property in their mind. Mostly because they overspent on the property and trying to recoup the cost there, or they were fed wrong / outdated information from the media.

As a result, for the REA to get businesses they need to inflate the sold price expectation so the owner will sign up.

because it is overpriced, it will sit in the market for weeks, if not months, and the REA hopes that by that time vendor's expectation will wear down somewhat, and the REA can make the deal in the middle of the range.

from what I have observed, it is common for obviously overpriced property to drop price by 10-30k during the first week of listing, may be because there are no inspection / enquiries at all...

then for a further, real drop of the price it will take at least 1-2 months for another 2-3% drop in price.

Once it is sold at a low price, it is bad vibe for the REA if they list the low sold price in the web-site because no owners will want their property to list with them. so they will list it as sold - price withheld etc etc. so if you see price withheld you can safely assume they are sold at a low price, coz it is of the best interest of the REA to list high sold prices !

another point to note is as a buyer I will never tell a REA any information, because if you tell them you are FHB with 600k to spend, they will always give you overpriced 500k property for you to look at.

disclose anything to them will not help you get the property you want, at a good price.

argh !

I am trying to help my parents to buy a unit (3BR) .....is there another choice (free that is!) to get a good idea of the current sold prices?
Thankyou

Pixie, costs are not very high, often $50 or so for a postcode report from rp data. It's not free but when you're spending hundreds of thousands it is basically free and the knowledge can save you thousands... Alternatively speak to a friendly agent and they may run couple of reports free for you :)

Local council

In Vic, ours keeps a register of all transactions within their jurisdiction. I think it isn't super-current, but it might be a good place to start.

I would suggest a trial or shared sub to price finder for data, it's the most cost effective way to be thorough in your price research.

Back