North Shore Taster Plate

There have been a couple of people asking recently about entry level properties of the north Shore and I thought I'd post a couple of examples of entry level properties and a couple of other properties as examples of whats around

This one is on Kissing point Rd , on the wrong side of Commenarra . . Entry level , but on busier road and not walk station.

This one is an interesting one with expectations around 1.2 - 1.3 . It's very close to the station ( no , not that close , and not on a busy road ) but it's partially wooden which will drop the value , however , in reality at that price , that close to the station , your close to land value anyway. Very pleasant , house internally , and in terms of convenience and livability one of the best value properties I've seen recently.

Kywong , In a higher price range , this is walk station , east side , new house . Very nice house but expectations 2.5-2.6

If you like the west side, on a battleaxe , also walk station , this is as new, a nice house , with an extra bedroom and additional large living room compared with Kywong, you could get this for probably around 5 - 600 K less than Kywong.

If you have a bit more to spend , ( 4-5 mill ... ) this house has every thing the aspirational North Shore Buyer could dream of . Know locally by some as the goosebumps house ( an episode of goose bumps was filmed there ) this is on just under an Acre , has a championship tennis court, 8 bedrooms and is over 100 years old. For those wanting a diversified income stream it also has two , one bed room units in a separate wing ;) ...

Cliff

I must be getting old seechange. I am too rusted on in the LNS to want to move that far away from the cbd.

Some interesting ones there.

It's the nesting instinct that sends people to the upper north shore .
lots of trees , good schools , plenty of space . Great place to raise a family . If you want a good size family home in LNS you'd tack on a minimum of another mill or more to what you buy in the UNS

Once that's over the Kids head off to the City , inner west , manly , Dee Why , Neutral bay etc for their 20' .

Their parents down size , either locally , possibly to somewhere like those nice new units in Turramurra Ave , or upper northern beaches ( we know several who's done that ) or lower northshore to somewhere like this , We have friends who bought there a couple of years ago .

Some down size and buy a weekender ( which is what we're doing ) .

In another 15 years , the nesting instinct kicks in and the kids buy back on the UNS , though like salmon returning , some get eaten and some might go up the wrong river .... though that's unlikely :rolleyes:

BTW , if you're getting on the train at wahroonga , at least you get a seat and some time to read the paper .

Cliff

That Duff St one is severely under priced on the guide. As you point out SC, this is barely land value and for something that close to the station, 4 beds, 3 living areas, 3 baths - they've gotta be joking. I'd like to see the comparables and the figure on the vendor's contract ;)

That Duff St one is severely under priced on the guide. As you point out SC, this is barely land value and for something that close to the station, 4 beds, 3 living areas, 3 baths - they've gotta be joking. I'd like to see the comparables and the figure on the vendor's contract ;)

Maybe you should check it out ....:cool:

I know something about that property , it was on the market for a while before the market moved for a year and wasn't getting interest around 1 mill . My understanding is that it is the price the owners are hoping for . if they get more it will be buyers pushing it up rather than vendor expectations . If it was a brick house it would go for a fair bit more and that also means that the asian buyers won't be interested and they are the ones who are pushing prices up .

In my experience the north Shore doesn't like wooden houses so they rarely sell for more than land value , though as you say if you can get a very nice house , close to the station , for around land value ....

It also doesn't have the flat back yard which a lot of parents with kids want . It has a bush back yard which is actually what a lot of kids who have parents want , but the parents haven't worked that out yet . The kids play on the level spaces and football grounds when they're at school . Our rear neighbors have a sloping yard that used to be over grown bush . Their three boys aged around 6-10 were always down their playing , running around , hiding and making noise . Their Helicopter mother wanted it cleared so she could see what they were doing . Now its a nice cleared back yard they don't play in any more . The kids asked us if they could play around the creek that runs down the side of our block which is still a natural bush but we said no ( unfortunately for legal reasons , If we said yes , legal we are assuming responsibility for the kids when we are on our land . someone was sued awhile ago in that situation and lost their house and marriage ...)

There are a couple of agents around who are notorious for under quoting in the area , but Ian Clark at Belle ( to the best of my knowledge ) isn't one of them .

We can watch with interest

Cliff

Last edited:
I like the quirky design of Duff (beer) St.

If they aren't desperate, is it worth changing some of the cladding to blue board and render to change the appearance and feel?

I know something about that property , it was on the market for a while before the market moved for a year and wasn't getting interest around 1 mill . My understanding is that it is the price the owners are hoping for . if they get more it will be buyers pushing it up rather than vendor expectations . If it was a brick house it would go for a fair bit more and that also means that the asian buyers won't be interested and they are the ones who are pushing prices up .

There are a couple of agents around who are notorious for under quoting in the area , but Ian Clark at Belle ( to the best of my knowledge ) isn't one of them .

Cliff

Ah Cliff, this brings back memories :D I know this house too and can confirm that our client made an offer of $1,025,000 which was knocked back in 2011 (Ian said owners wanted $1.1m min), after which time it went to the rental market.... it was also advertised in 2010 unsuccessfully (different agency) and isn't a house without limitations, as outlined in your post.

Market has obviously moved considerably since then however so it will be interesting to see how far over the $1.3m mark it fetches at auction...

Ah Cliff, this brings back memories :D I know this house too and can confirm that our client made an offer of $1,025,000 which was knocked back in 2011 (Ian said owners wanted $1.1m min), after which time it went to the rental market.... it was also advertised in 2010 unsuccessfully (different agency) and isn't a house without limitations, as outlined in your post.

Market has obviously moved considerably since then however so it will be interesting to see how far over the $1.3m mark it fetches at auction...

JP , what would you think Duff St should be going for ?

Any thoughts on how much a blue board / render would add to it ?

From my observation , I haven't seen something this liveable , that close to the stations for a while . There was a house in Evelyn Ave , close to where we've bought , that sold for high 1.2's , knock down job , land value but further from the station

Cliff

In my experience the north Shore doesn't like wooden houses so they rarely sell for more than land value , though as you say if you can get a very nice house , close to the station , for around land value ....

It also doesn't have the flat back yard which a lot of parents with kids want . It has a bush back yard which is actually what a lot of kids who have parents want , but the parents haven't worked that out yet . The kids play on the level spaces and football grounds when they're at school . Our rear neighbors have a sloping yard that used to be over grown bush . Their three boys aged around 6-10 were always down their playing , running around , hiding and making noise . Their Helicopter mother wanted it cleared so she could see what they were doing . Now its a nice cleared back yard they don't play in any more . The kids asked us if they could play around the creek that runs down the side of our block which is still a natural bush but we said no ( unfortunately for legal reasons , If we said yes , legal we are assuming responsibility for the kids when we are on our land . someone was sued awhile ago in that situation and lost their house and marriage ...)

Cliff

Have never understood the reasoning behind purchasing large blocks of land for kids to play in. The beach was my backyard along with the local oval for footy and the like. We have a sizeable entertainment area at the rear of our home but beyond that a small grassed area with a few shrubs and small trees. Would rather spend time on the water or in it than maintaining lawn and gardens. More land equates to more rates, generally.

Have never understood the reasoning behind purchasing large blocks of land for kids to play in. The beach was my backyard along with the local oval for footy and the like. We have a sizeable entertainment area at the rear of our home but beyond that a small grassed area with a few shrubs and small trees. Would rather spend time on the water or in it than maintaining lawn and gardens. More land equates to more rates, generally.

Lot of people like it , especially when kids are younger . Somewhere safe for kids to toddle around and kick a ball without worrying about stranger danger or the kids running in front of cars etc .

When our kids were pre teens we used our backs yards a fair amount .

Now we have paved areas and bush . Lower maintenance . We have a lawn at our weekender , but pay the neighbours kid to mow it .

Cliff

Back