Norwich Park Mine Closure - Dysart

Bit of a surprise ,wife told me last night she saw it on the news.
In these uncertain times,anything can happen.
Be prepared for some cheap giveaway houses out there now.

Will be interesting to track what happens, the mining companies are still making plenty of money. The prices in these smaller towns are crazy.

My prediction:

Mine will cease and all permanent employees disbursed throughout other BMA mines.

Contractors will be left out in the cold.

Skeleton crews will remain on site - namely Security and dedicated pit pump crews.

When coal prices rise, and any 12month redundancy clauses are fulfilled, BMA will announce a 'brilliant' new plan of attack for the mine to operate profitably.

Operations will resume with strict contracts (lowered rates/less benefits like housing allowances etc) in place.

BMA Norwich will again operate business as usual like nothing has happened.

BMA are fatcats, they will like what they do and do what they like! That's why, while the opportunity is there, sting them for every $$ you can! I know we do (work at neighboring Saraji)!

So for Dysart IP owners, times will get lean over the next year or two - but that's why you put aside the extra yield you enjoy isn't it (not a nice but true sarcasm):eek:

Pinkboy

My prediction:

Mine will cease and all permanent employees disbursed throughout other BMA mines.

Contractors will be left out in the cold.
Seeing as that has already been in the news as what will happen for more than 24 hours it's not much of a prediction :p

Seeing as that has already been in the news as what will happen for more than 24 hours it's not much of a prediction :p

I was running a bit of a timeline there so my 2c could be a follow on...

I was working at Saraji on Tuesday when the employees were told at midday, but not announced until 3pm. We are lightly involved in providing service for BMA, but not Norwich directly. I haven't worked there since 2005.

Pinkboy

HI Kasman

Nice to have some good news as an investor in Dysart.

Dysart is not the only local town being hit hard by the repercussions of BMA/ BHP antics.

Take a look at the vacancies in Moranbah as well.

Dysart has 85 currently listed on realestate.com.au and Moranbah has 154

This is a huge change on 12 month ago when there was just a handful in each town

Good news indeed.

BMA does have a lot to answer for. Holding these towns at ransom.

I for one no longer travel to these towns as BMA stopped allowing anyone access to their airports.

I took the matter up with the Isaac council, only to be told "Nothing we can do - BMA own them"

What are small things like that doing to support the growth of these places?

Yet we struggle to find short term accommodation for our blokes in Dysart. Not all is lost, I'm doing my bit looking for a house in Dysart to house blokes for permanent work at nearby BMA Saraji.

pinkboy

Back