not much luck recently

hi all,

I've recently had a bout of bad luck in buying items and it has been really tiring in sorting it all out.

First off, i bought a tele for the bedroom (and I've described this in another thread).

Secondly, i bought a $20 shirt from Harris Scarfe which was on sale. As with all new clothes, i wash it before i wear it. But with this one, i washed as per the instructions and it shrunk to an extent that i couldnt wear it. I took it back but they would only give me a credit - not a refund.

Then i bought a George Foreman steamer with timer and LCD display. The LCD display didn't work and the machine made some rather strange clicking noises. So i had to go back to the Mall (which i hate) and take it back too.

Finally, for Xmas, i bought the missus a PVR with 500 Gig hard drive and twin HD tuner. But when i got it home, we were unable to plug our satellite receiver into it and therefore were not able to record shows off our Asian satellite service (whcih is the main reason i got it). So it had to go back too.

Within one month, I've had to take 4 things back to the shops. I hate going to the shops at the best of times, and i absolutely hate going to the Mall, but I've had to do double trips just to take things back.

Is it normal to have to take so many things back or am i just getting duds in everything?

Thankfully i havent yet bought any property this year!!!!

Thanks

g

Here's my run of bad luck -
  • Went on a 2 week holiday with family and had a massive fight with a family member. (It's resolved now, but it wasn't pretty)
  • I got badly sunburnt even though I chased the shade and wore a shirt and hat - it all happened in a 15 minute window when I was exposed. That stuffed me for a few days.
  • My tent poles broke and poked a hole in the top of the tent and cover sheet. This is only the second time I've used the tent in 5 years but it's now useless and had to be thrown away.
  • My torch I've had for ages stopped working when I changed the batteries and had to be thrown away.
  • No problems, I've got a spare in the glove box. In an effort to unscrew the bottom to get to the battery compartment the thread cut my fingers to ribbons - blood everywhere. That torch went in the bin too.
  • Bought a pair of beach pants which I washed and wore once. When I went to wash them the second time I noticed an 8" rip across the crutch. Until I get around to fixing that they're useless.
  • Got home and opened the door and thought someone was having a shower in my bathroom. Nope! A flexible hose under the vanity had ruptured and was spraying water all over the place resulting in a mad rush to turn the water off. No idea how long the water had been running. The bathroom, hallway and linen closet were affected. Plumbers couldn't come until tomorrow so no shower (or water) after the hot drive I'd had coming home. Filled up the jug for a cuppa and a bucket for 'flushing' from the garden next door. So as well as the job of unpacking the car and putting everything away I also had to mop up the mess, throw stuff away that had got ruined and clean the stuff in the linen closet. Charged $151.00 to replace the hoses the next day.
  • When I got around to opening my mail I had an $84.00 speeding fine (camera detected) for doing 59kms in a 50km zone at 10.30pm on 2nd Jan.

Hopefully this is the end of it!

the quality of everything is disintegrating - i was only telling my wife this morning how disappointed i am that the sandwich press we bought a year ago had died already and we've only used it about 10-12 times.

oh olly - what a shocker.

i had a few things happen over our wedding anniversary stay in sydney that, not exactly spoiled it, but made some stages uncomfortable.

we went for a dinner/drinks/fireworks night on one of the 100yr old tall ships. was a lovely evening until some young thing decided to flirt outreagously with hubby right under my nose. he was trying to be polite and ignore her but she'd had a few to many champers and kept going. eventually she got the message and left him alone but it really peeved me off.

then the next day we went to mamma mia - great show ... except ... the lead female was a splitting image of hubby's ex who made my life a living hell for 10 years. i couldn't look at her on the stage when she was on it without feeling irksome.

the rest of the 3 days was great - but funny how little things like that leave a bad taste. it's like having a fantastic dinner then painfully biting your tongue right at the end - ruins the whole meal!

We've had a bad run with kettles. Had two $29.95 ones blow up after around 2-3 years use, so bought a nice silver $69.95 one. That lasted about 4 months. Now we're thinking screw it, they sell em at cheap as chips for $9.95 and those last around a year, we'll just buy one of those every year instead.

We have bought a whole bunch of stuff ready to go into our new house. Nothing has been fully tested yet so I am hoping nothing stuffs up, especially my stereo worth a couple of grand (impulse buy lol).

Is it normal to have to take so many things back or am i just getting duds in everything?

The more you hate it, the more you complain about, and the more it happens.
And since not only did you complain, but you also took the time whine on a public forum, I'd say you betta get ready for a lot more trips back to the store...

We've had a bad run with kettles. Had two $29.95 ones blow up after around 2-3 years use, so bought a nice silver $69.95 one. That lasted about 4 months. Now we're thinking screw it, they sell em at cheap as chips for $9.95 and those last around a year, we'll just buy one of those every year instead.

I've gone through 4 electric jugs in 2 years. I was buying the $30 jobs for the first two then I bought a real cheapie and it 'blew' the house and it cost me $189.00 in electrical work! Jug number 4 is a $50.00 one.

I've gone through 4 electric jugs in 2 years. I was buying the $30 jobs for the first two then I bought a real cheapie and it 'blew' the house and it cost me $189.00 in electrical work! Jug number 4 is a $50.00 one.
Hehe, our house is freshly rewired so you'd hope nothing happens. The $70 kettle actually went poomph in a puff of black smoke and left nice scorch marks up the sides, the cheaper ones just stopped working at all. Wish we'd kept the receipt for the more expensive one, it was actually a name brand and would have had a warranty.

Back