Not Sexy : Asbestos

Can someone please kindly recommend an Asbestos expert (company/person) ?

I live in Sydney. IP will be in Sydney greater metro

Imagine would need this expert's services including:

-- pre-purchase inspection
-- advice on selection of property with minimum Asbestos potential
-- advice on renovation procedure to avoid exposure
-- removal of asbestos if worst comes to worst.

My understanding is government regulations dictate buildings built after 2003 have no asbestos material, meaning anything built or been renovated before 2003 is just a lottery game.

Am new to IP Reno. Only project-manage. So will attempt basic cosmetic renovation first, no structural change. But at least have to have new bathroom(s), new kitchen, new ceiling, new timber floor, new wiring for lightnings. Am concerned with risk of ripping old stuff out although I only project manage.

Cheers, Jack (jackplee@hotmaillcom)

The use of asbestos was banned around 1984 and its availability soon dwindled thereafter. The OHS act 2010 NSW provides a date of 2002 (I think) but this is for commercial premises and does not apply to residential.

Looking for post 2002 properties which have reno potential leave you with a very small pool to find something which needs refurb to make a profit unless it is a basket case.

Asbestos is fine unless you break it. In those situations just pay someone to remove it.

As Scott has said, if you try to find a place with no asbestos, your pool is drastically reduced.

Back