Note to self....

Hello Fellow SSers,

A simple observation from a prodigal poster who after returning from a long sojourn has come back to find herself embroiled in (not one, but 2) run-ins within 24 hours. I guess I'm just one of those people who just NEVER learns!!! :rolleyes:

There are a few basic rules associated with public forums (so it seems):

1. If you want a public response, POST IT
2. If you want a private one, PM IT
3. If you want 100% agreement for absolutely everything you think, feel or do......KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!!

I have my critics, as well as my fans on here, not that I ask for either because frankly love or hate me, I am happy with who I am, what I've achieved and am neither bothered by anyone's ridicule or in need of their approval.

Then why post this I hear you ask?? :confused:

Dunno, seemed like a good idea at the time; a note to self perhaps??? ;)

Hi Jo.

JUST BE YOU. Nothing at all wrong with that.

Regards
Marty
Thanks Marty, but in here (I'm afraid) it's not that simple; I wish it were.

Even with acceptance of fellow investors, in which one can share experiences, it is not a simple case of being one-self. To do that risks confronting other people's opinions, morals, expectations etc.

And that's a tough job to endure.....

Hi Jo.

JUST BE YOU. Nothing at all wrong with that.

Regards
Marty

Public forums are not the place to "let it all hang out". To let most of what you disagree with just pass to the keeper is good for the health of both the site as a whole and the for individual.

I have learnt this the hard way. :(

Public forums are not the place to "let it all hang out". To let most of what you disagree with just pass to the keeper is good for the health of both the site as a whole and the for individual.

Indeed Sunfish :)

And that includes not allowing yourself to get caught up in the emotion of it all....I am far too passionate for my own good.

I bring far too much "stuff" to the board, that I should have let wash away with all the blood on the streets!! My bad :(

There are good people here; I don't claim to be one of them.

But I also find it hard to put a cork in hiding what I think could hurt someone.

I'll try harder; thanks for the tip. ;)

Whilst I don't entirely disagree, we (forum participants) also have to realise that anything we post is open to disagreement/debate and not everyone will see things in the same light so naturally those that are a bit more 'bull-headed' will have their say.

IMHO, regardless of ones view doesn't make them wrong or right, it's just an opinion. Some will not be able to handle constructive criticism and may react (via a post) whereas to others it will be water off a ducks back.

I suppose I'm trying to say that if you don't want a post dissected, don't post, but that would make for a boring place.

Regards
Marty

Thanks Marty, but in here (I'm afraid) it's not that simple; I wish it were.

Even with acceptance of fellow investors, in which one can share experiences, it is not a simple case of being one-self. To do that risks confronting other people's opinions, morals, expectations etc.

And that's a tough job to endure.....
I still say, just be you ;):D

Regards
Marty

who's confrontation?
Generally speaking.

If you post something that instils feeling of uneasiness among your readers you risk being confronted by their reponses which may prove less than positive.

If you don't want to risk backlash, exercise caution with the nature of your topic. For instance religion, single-mothers, aged, unemployed, minority groups or just generally any subject that may tug on emotions, is fraught with danger!! And unfortunately (emotional) people like me, will bite every time!!

Monopoly - i usually think you are a great forum member with a level head and common sense.

however, in the case you bought up regarding kathryn ... methinks you bought to much emotion and kneejerk judgement to the party on that one. my reply is on that thread as to why i don't have a problem with what kathryn is doing.

stay level headed and commoned sensed and keep posting.

Monopoly - i usually think you are a great forum member with a level head and common sense.

however, in the case you bought up regarding kathryn ... methinks you bought to much emotion and kneejerk judgement to the party on that one. my reply is on that thread as to why i don't have a problem with what kathryn is doing.

stay level headed and commoned sensed and keep posting.
Fair enough Lizzie, you're entitled to your opinion as is anyone else.

My golden rule is that late at night after far too many wines, when everything becomes suddenly clear....

STAY AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER!!

There are ways and means of debating, and if you stick to the discussion and not personalise the discussion then I dont think you will have too many issues. If on the other hand, someone decides personalise the argument, and many here do exactly that, well, that will lead to trouble.

I havent found any problems with Sunfish, even though we might disagree on a lot of things he tends to keep to the argument and not attack the person.

Well...it takes all types to keep the forum interesting.

I would not be too hard on yourself...it was an issue that you were passionate about and your stated a strong opinion. You did not abuse anyone so...all is well.;)

A sense of humour ...with a jest usually gets points across quite well.

I for one do not like the idea of censorship of views unless it is really deragatory.

The one thing I do not like is that some people seem to have an agenda with such religious fervour that they are beyond questioning. This is where the internet is the greatest equalizer....probably why the Chinese government spends such a large amount of their time trying to control this medium.:D

Great to see someone be themselves.

Hello Fellow SSers,

A simple observation from a prodigal poster who after returning from a long sojourn has come back to find herself embroiled in (not one, but 2) run-ins within 24 hours. I guess I'm just one of those people who just NEVER learns!!! :rolleyes:

There are a few basic rules associated with public forums (so it seems):

1. If you want a public response, POST IT
2. If you want a private one, PM IT
3. If you want 100% agreement for absolutely everything you think, feel or do......KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!!

I have my critics, as well as my fans on here, not that I ask for either because frankly love or hate me, I am happy with who I am, what I've achieved and am neither bothered by anyone's ridicule or in need of their approval.

Then why post this I hear you ask?? :confused:

Dunno, seemed like a good idea at the time; a note to self perhaps??? ;)

Generally speaking.

If you post something that instils feeling of uneasiness among your readers you risk being confronted by their reponses which may prove less than positive.

If you don't want to risk backlash, exercise caution with the nature of your topic. For instance religion, single-mothers, aged, unemployed, minority groups or just generally any subject that may tug on emotions, is fraught with danger!! And unfortunately (emotional) people like me, will bite every time!!

The post was from Almost Bob, made by accident.He was using my computer and forgot it was logged in under my name.
I just returned home from work.

No hard feelings Monopoly.
Even though your dislike of me goes back to when I first joined, and almost got myself banned, because I was unfamiliar with the rules of a forum.
You're still as passionate as ever, about something when you disagree.
To each his own.
That's what makes SS so interesting.

The post was from Almost Bob, made by accident.He was using my computer and forgot it was logged in under my name.
I just returned home from work.

No hard feelings Monopoly.
Even though your dislike of me goes back to when I first joined, and almost got myself banned, because I was unfamiliar with the rules of a forum.
You're still as passionate as ever, about something when you disagree.
To each his own.
That's what makes SS so interesting.
Apologies for the mix up between yourself and AB.

I don't dislike you Kathryn, never have quite the contrary. As for the rules of the forum, unlike you I was never so well behaved as to not get myself banned. I take my hat off to you for that.

Our views are different, my approach less than commendable however (as you said) to each his (or her) own.:)

Meh.

I disagree with people all the time. IRL too. Often with those people who I respect the most (and of course sometimes just with complete twits). So far I haven't had any negative backlash from it. Or at least if I have I was too dense to notice...

Honestly, I think there is nothing wrong with different opinions or critism (can be frustrating, but nothing wrong with it). Rather it is actually important, and can bring a different perspective or POV, which may not have been considered before.

I think you can post whatever you want to post - the thing is that unless you want to be shot down in flames you need to:
a) stick to the topic
b) don't get personal.
c) don't get overly emotional

This is afterall cyberspace and you can never entirely be certain who is on the other end typing or if you have even interpreted (or they have conveyed) what is intended accurately. And in the end, who cares if you disagree (even on something you think is important) with a stranger.

If you are too passionate about a topic, maybe you should 'walk away' from it and leave it until you are in a calmer state of mind before delivering a response...

Back