Notification

When threads are deleted could a PM please be sent to posters in the thread notifying them of it's deletion (preferably with a reason).

I don't mind content being moderated or even deleted but I'd like to know why.

When threads are deleted could a PM please be sent to posters in the thread notifying them of it's deletion (preferably with a reason).

I don't mind content being moderated or even deleted but I'd like to know why.

I wouldnt; mind an explantion of posts getting deleted too - more so than 1 word offensive.

As I've suggested to keith before, Im so stupid, if not told what I did wrong, I run a very high chance of repeating my apparently "offensive" posts beacuse I can't see the difference between mine that was delted and others with the same language & point which have remained.

When threads are deleted, there is always a reason given - it shows up in the thread list where the thread was posted.

We do have a mechanism to notify people if there is a problem which requires attention - it's called an infraction. Warnings are given for informational/educational purposes, and for more serious problems, infraction points are accumulated - get too many of them and you might get banned. That is only for serious offences though.

If it was just a minor issue, we don't tend to follow up on it.

Feel free to PM a moderator (or email me via the contact page) if you need further explanation about a thread deletion.

Sim, it's all over the news. Julian Assange was accused of making anti-semitic remarks. Maybe it's true, maybe it's not.......either way its in the public domain and he can defend himself, as he so ably does. So why was my thread about this topic removed?

I'm a huge Wikileaks fan BTW.

Please explain......why the lack of openness here on SS?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry - the previous thread was moved to the trashcan while under discussion by the moderators.

Generally, what I said previously was true - if a thread is deleted, we leave a reason. Unfortunately in the trashcan, you can't see it.

I've now rectified that by moving the thread back to the coffee lounge and deleting it there with a reason.

As for why it was deleted - the thread was getting too personal with multiple personal attacks, and it also falls under one of the usually taboo topics on this site (eg. religion, politics, etc). Topics like this almost always end up with personal attacks being thrown around, multiple deletions and infractions being handed out.

This is a forum about property investment - everything else is off topic and may be deleted if we feel it lowers the tone of the forum.

This is a forum about property investment - everything else is off topic and may be deleted if we feel it lowers the tone of the forum.

Didn't stop you having a Assange thread before...... now that he's been labelled an anti-semite, the entire Assange topic is suddenly taboo. Why not go back and delete ALL the Assange threads?

Didn't stop you having a Assange thread before...... now that he's been labelled an anti-semite, the entire Assange topic is suddenly taboo. Why not go back and delete ALL the Assange threads?

Umm ... it's not the Assange discussion that's the problem - it's the religious discussion or debates about anti-semitism etc, which tend to get very heated and lower the tone.

Umm ... it's not the Assange discussion that's the problem - it's the religious discussion or debates about anti-semitism etc, which tend to get very heated and lower the tone.

So, even though its in the public domain that Assange made anti semitic remarks, you will delete any threads that say the same and infract people who persist? That's almost akin to defending what he says.

So, even though its in the public domain that Assange made anti semitic remarks, you will delete any threads that say the same and infract people who persist? That's almost akin to defending what he says.

You're still not getting it.

It's not what he might or might not have said that's the problem. It's got nothing to do with Assange.

It's the topic of discussion and the personal attacks that have already come out of it (mostly from yourself it seems), that are the problem.

Thanks for the clarification Sim it's appreciated - I didn't know the thread had de-evolved into personal attacks and disliked the thought of threads just disappearing without a reason (people won't learn if they don't know why something happened).

Back