Novice in a new world

Hi all, and a happy & prosperous New Year to everyone.
My dilemma is, (being a novice to PI) is trying to find a property in our price range and finding the right area to invest in.
Being in Darwin is a catch and surfing the real estate sites is time consuming when they do not reply.
What can we do to research an area that we are interested in?
:confused:

Philby,

You could always use a buyer’s agent in the area that you’d like to invest (they are in all major capital cities).
You pay them a small starting fee (shows you are committed), then you pay them a % of the property price when they find what you are looking for.
A good one will know the values in the area and be able to give you all the statistical data on the suburb as well.

The nice thing to know is that they are on your side unlike an r/e agent who’s acting for the vendor.

We bought our last Reno like this primarily due to a lack of time.

We were very happy with the service.

Ed.

Philby.

I didn't know what area your interested in but THIS agent is not in Darwin - and I spelt it wrong anyway.

If you want to make a go of things, you have to get into the swing of things - that means research everything.

Philby

There are no short cuts and taking a few months to work things out for yourself will not make a difference in the long term.

Spend time reading through the posts here, then read the books that you will see recommended, come up with a plan , look at properties on the web , ring up and talk to agents.

Use a buyers agent , by all means , BUT only once you know what you want them to find for you. Buyers agents are not financial planners / investment advisors and in reality neither are "financial planners"

Personally I prefer to look myself , and I'm prepared to spend the time to do that.

In all investments , the harder you work , the luckier you get.

see change

G'day Philby...I haven't had a close look at Darwin but I would if I have a few dollars to spare. You have a new railroad coming in and the ADF is growing stronger in your area all the time. I think you could be sitting on a very 'hot spot'. Good Luck anyway
Elwyn D.
love all the mottos..mine "50% of somthing is better than a 100% of nothing"

elwyn.d
Darwin is a "Hot Spot" more ways than one(keep shutting down computer due to lightning storms) but prices are high(cyclone codes mainly) and a glut of new housing seems to be a negative against the rail and the defence force movements. But?
Ruk
am looking at brisbane/beenleigh, so whats the correct spelling.
see_change
thanks for the great advice, have been following that for the last 10 weeks, just working up the courage to take the BIG step, but viewing properties in southern locales - tyranny of distance!
Mr Ed, thanks too can you recommend a buyers agent for brisbane/beenleigh area

Originally posted by Philby

- tyranny of distance!

That was a problem that we were faced with as we're in Canberra & wanted to buy in Brisvagas. So flew to Brissy & met with two buyers agents. The name of the one we used was

Scott McGeever
propertyresearch.com.au
[email protected]
Mobile - 0418 971 800

For many reasons but one of the main Scott was doing the same as us buy reno sell/hold. He suited exactly what we wanted to do. Give him a call mention my name he'll have a laugh (only because we had a few challenges along the way, with brokers & draw down pmts). There are also a few others up there they regularly advertise in API so give them a call as well.

My tip with a buyers agent though the same as what has already been mentioned is "know what you want". And make sure that they don't get any kick backs from anyone else ie selling agent. If they do get a split of the commission from the listing agent and you are the highest offer by 500 dollars or so you'll miss the IP, why because the selling agent will have to split his/her comm with the buyers agent. You will never know this & neither will your agent you'll just get an excuse of there was a higher offer.

Take a trip down to BNE & speak to all of them in person and make your own decision.

Hope that helps you somewhat.

Ed

Ps. I have no connection with Property research and get no pmt from them just really happy with Scott and his knowledge of the market ad the service he provided, and I'd use them again.

Happy hunting!

thanks mr ed

Mr Ed, thanks for the great info, will follow up. Have a good 2003
One more question you may have an answer to - Gated secure communities?
Are they worth looking at or steer clear?
Cheers.

Gated secure Communities? I have to say that I know very little on these, someone else maybe better to comment. But I always picture these types of properties for the affluent, & that’s about the length of my knowledge like I said very limited.

Happy new year. :D

I've seen the Gated Secure Communities in the US. I could not even drop in on a friend who lived in one without warning - I had to be known beforehand, and to have been invited in.

It strikes me that this sort of community would have to be very much owner occupied- I suspect the rental opportunities would be low, especially as prospective tenants may not be allowed to view the property.

I've just seen places on the Gold Coast which appear to be this sort of development- but I'm not sure.

Obviously, the cost of security on a place like that would add substantially to the annual costs.

The place I visited in the US was in Palm Desert- not that far out from Palm Springs- so obviously, a VERY affluent area- so take my remarks with the corresponding grain of salt.

The other place I've seen such communities is in Sout Africa- and there, out of necessity. I hope it does not come that way here- but, if it does, and you have such a property, you're in on the ground floor.

Gated communities are the future.

Where to invest - Cairns

Get your finance from Kellie 0413-925-943

Thats all for now folks!

thanks to all those who replied to my gated community Q
Am interested in one but still hesitant
So again thanks to all
:)

Originally posted by lawsjs
Palm Springs is NOT necessarily an affluent area! Very much cheap I would say..........
Jeremy,

Point taken.

The area I visited was in Palm Desert, out from Palm Springs, but that was in 1986. Maybe not "obviously" affluent as I said- but it was a gated community with two private golf courses. Only one golf course was ever in action at one time- the other was ripped out, and replanted from seed annually. With the spring water and all the sun, it grew well- but, naturally, expenses were extremely high.

That's not really relevant to the original post- except that it might point out that running expenses in any gated communitywill be high. Golf courses are not thenorm- butguards are- and the cost of guards will probably rise faster than inflation (guessing here- public liability etc).

Originally posted by beech
Where in particular do u see the Gated community popping up in Aus Jeremy?

Darren
Darren,

It looks as if there are some in the Gold Coast already. Well, at least walled, I don't know if guarded.

There are gated-communitiies on the Gold Coast up near Sanctuary Cove. Not guarded just a large security gate at the entrance of the walled complex.

There is also one on Ormiston, Brisbane just near the bay. It was developed by Mirvac and from what I understand it was their first venture into the concept. It has a central green area with a community pool and a ring road within the complex. Body corporate rates apply for these areas.

I see it as a great concept for those with young children who want their kids to be able to play outside in safety without the threat of some stranger walking in off the street and for the older resident who wants that extra bit of security. As the baby boomers are moving North and towards the coast, these gated-communities would seem to be growing on popularity.

Steve K:cool:

Originally posted by lawsjs
Gated communities are the future.

Where to invest - Cairns

Get your finance from Kellie 0413-925-943

Thats all for now folks!

lawsjs,
Just wondering for us newbies - why you think Cairns is the place to invest & who is Kellie?
Thanks
Roz

Back