Now that Barry is NSW Premier..

Now that Barry is the new NSW Premier, will you guys start looking at suburbs where he promised to build railway/roads/infrastructures?

We would definitely look at areas near proposed southwest and northwest rail links.

will you guys start looking

I think I get what you mean...Libs in = big run up for Sydney real estate....

Have no clue if there is any credence to that, but perhaps the horse may have already bolted.

We plonked a few down in Sydney last year, so here's hoping for the best.

Hi Joanne,

It might "feel" like NSW has just had a huge change of political tide, but for north-west Sydney today and next week and next year and the next decade it will be just a continuation of Groundhog Day.
North West Sydney is a black hole of political apathy.
Historically (for something like 60+ years) it has been a Liberal wasteland returning the same do-nothing MPs decade after decade. (Former MPs being Alan Cadman, Kevin Rozzoli (who? and who?) to name just two) (and that is NOT libel - to be libel it has to be untrue or damaging to reputation. So my comment is easily defendable in a court of law).

The ALP never really want to waste money on territory they can never own and the Libs do not see the need to waste money on territory that has forever been forgiving of lack of services and ready to forget past slights and contempt.

Bit like a tenant does not want to pay to fix up a dump and the landlord does not want to bother cause the place is already generating a great return with little or no investment. So it is with the political parties and north-west Sydney.

I think it was Moses who first promised better transport links to this part of Sydney, just after he lead the Chosen out of the wilderness a millennium ago.
The devoted followers are still waiting.

The new crop of eager-beaver Liberals about to park their posteriors into the comfy padding of NSW Parliamentary seats have already had lengthy terms on local councils in the area. There they have already perfected the fine craft of doing bugger all for their constituents while lapping up Sister City junkets and Local Govt study tours to locales far away, sunny and supine. All that happened on Saturday is that they now get to insert their over large snouts into bigger perks than on offer at the Local Government feed-trough.

There will be no North west rail line in Barry's term. Come tomorrow (Monday) morning he will open the proverbial State Budget cupboard and declare mournfully that is is bare.

A theatrical shrug of the shoulders and lament that he so very much wants to do something but ..... (insert script-written fudge spin here- you've heard it before, you can write it for him by rote).

As a resident of outer north-west Sydney of some 50 years I feel confident in predicting there will be no north west rail link in my lifetime (and I dont intend popping my clogs any time in the next 3 decades).

As a child I remember wandering around marvellous modern display homes as cow paddocks were converted into what are now thousand of acres of houses stretching right across The Hills district. A decade ago family member had 5 acres at Parklea - now all under tar and housing. Recently I was in the locality and could barely pick a landmark to locate their former home.

So I have observed first hand the development of north west Sydney over the past 50 years. With something like 60+ seats in the new Lib coloured Parliament this will not result in anything new for this location except more of the same. More houses, more cars and more empty promises re infrastructure.

IMHO.

And no - I am not a ALP supporter - just like the rest of NSW I was waiting with my baseball bat at the polling station on Saturday - but I dont have any illusions that change of government will bring any real infrastructure to the gridlocked streets of north-west Sydney.

I think it will be interesting to see how he goes trying to convince the Feds that the money allocated to the Parra rail link should now go towards funding the NW and SW rail lines.

maybe more people will buy at Oran Park and surrounds now they think a rail line is going through there but I don't think it will change anything in the NW - the prices are already quite high out there.

While I don't live there anymore, the big talk in recent times is the prospect of selling off a lot of the housing commission in Maroubra if the Libs got in. that would do great things for the suburb which has already taken off in the last 12 months. Can't see how they can wipe out half of a suburb in a hurry tho.

I hope he improves the transport systems for Sydney (I don't live there and I don't visit there, I just watch the lines of headlights on TV trying to get home after a long day of work).

I hope he improves health systems including mental health (and cuts out a lot of high paid people who do not deliver care) and cuts down the number of patients/clients/aged care people a single person has to look after as lots need additional 1:1 care.

I hope he reduces the ratio of students to teachers in primary and high school as lots of students need additional informal help.

These are my hopes for the people of NSW.

Lets see what happens over the next 4 years.

Regards
Sheryn

Hi Joanne

Like Tesla I've been a longtime North-West resident and have listened to the litany of empty promises over the last 12+ years regarding transport in this area, whilst Labor was at the helm of NSW. The North West rail link has become a standing joke amongst locals, a rightful topic of derision and cynicism (Tesla is an outstanding example :D).

However, lets not forget that it was a Labor govt promise, and now that we have a fresh change of govt after 16 long years, I remain hopeful that at least this politician will have the gumption and tenacity to finally see a viable transport plan through for this part of Sydney. He's promised for the work to be started in his first term- many North West residents will be watching and waiting in anticipation.

And, taking my hat of doubt off for a moment.... if it does eventuate, then I do believe property prices will be well affected. The epicentres around the proposed stations (from KVille through to the eventual link up at Beecroft/Cheltenham) will benefit most with rezoning more than likely occurring as a result. Interesting four years ahead perhaps.... ;)

Given the Libs now have a majority that will take three terms to whittle away, they won't have to do much.

And the Libs didn't really have much in the way of policies going into the election anyway.

Yep, there will be an 'Oh gosh, there isn't any money to do anything. We didn't realise it would be this bad' moment.

There will be a bit of fiddling at the edges and some committees set up.

I'm waiting for that creepy hard core religious right faction to stick its head up. We haven't heard anything from them for well over a year. They would have been told to keep their heads down so they didn't scare people off.

there will be an 'Oh gosh, there isn't any money to do anything. We didn't realise it would be this bad' moment.

.....or, they've been denied access to the true position of the data, and now they have access to it all, they'll be able to see there really isn't anything in the coffers.

After 16 years of a Labor Govt, I'd be surprised if the teaspoons in the parliamentary cupboard were still there.

Well if Julia hands over the dosh from the planned Parra to Epping rail link (all $2B of it) we could perhaps build one station..... however it seems unlikely that she'll do this. Time will tell..... :rolleyes:

usually serious money is spent on marginal seats and others are ignored. In this case with the Libs having such an overwhelming majority, they wont be spending money they don't have to.

I'll tell you one thing. Politicians are politicians, regardless of party. Always have been.

As for the election, its a sad day for NSW Labor, some long held seats (in the vicinity of 100 years) have been lost.

They self destructed over the years and the Libs seem to get in power just waiting for Labor to self destruct - as they do Fed or State - rather than being a viable option in itself.

Fatty O' Barrel is a stock standard, boring, bland Liberal minister. The first year will be very ummm interesting.

I was wondering where you went...

I'll tell you one thing. Politicians are politicians, regardless of party. Always have been.

Sounds very definitive....thanks for telling us.

What is my local State member (seat of Nedlands) like, I've never had the opportunity to meet him ?? You sound so definite on that statement, you've surely met him a few times before you could possibly come to that conclusion.

What i meant is they are mostly all liars, make promises they dont keep to get into power etc, you know what i meant Dazz. I wouldnt have a clue what your local member is like.

http://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=politicians+are+all+the+same

I was wondering where you went...

Sounds very definitive....thanks for telling us.

What is my local State member (seat of Nedlands) like, I've never had the opportunity to meet him ?? You sound so definite on that statement, you've surely met him a few times before you could possibly come to that conclusion.

.....or, they've been denied access to the true position of the data, and now they have access to it all, they'll be able to see there really isn't anything in the coffers.

After 16 years of a Labor Govt, I'd be surprised if the teaspoons in the parliamentary cupboard were still there.

Nah, they all do it. Libs and Labor. It's the first thing they say, 'Gee, we didn't realise it was this bad.'

I suspect they're going to can our Inner West light rail. I was looking forward to that being added to the smorgasboard of transport options round my way.

Yep, there will be an 'Oh gosh, there isn't any money to do anything. We didn't realise it would be this bad' moment.

There will be a bit of fiddling at the edges and some committees set up.

He's on record as saying this won't happen...

Barry O'Farrell sworn in as NSW Premier

SMH said:
Mr O'Farrell said he and Mr Stoner would be briefed this afternoon on the state of NSW's finances.

He reiterated he wanted a financial audit, but added nothing would stop him delivering the projects he promised during the election campaign.

"We want to start with knowing what the bottom line is. But, I say again, there’ll be no 'gotcha' moment," he said.

"There’ll be no announcement that, because of the state of finances, we can't deliver or won't deliver our promises.
"

Lets see if it pans out that way.

Cheers,
Michael

Back