NSW Builders License Course

Hi there,

In order to become a licensed builder in NSW (residential, multi-res), what TAFE course would be the most applicable to do?

I'm not a trades person (i.e. office worker) however becoming a licensed builder would help me with our projects.

Thanks
Al

Thanks for the information guys. Looks like the requirements and experience are outside of my professional training.

Think i'll continue using contract/project builders for my projects.

Or if you go down to woolworths I think they are handing them out in cereal boxes now .

What experience do you have in the construction industry. There are rpl companies that you may be able to go through.

You can complete the requirements through TAFE/OTEN http://oten.tafensw.edu.au/course/building-and-construction-building-certificate-4/ or if you want to make a career of it via uni pathways.

Course is also available through the Master Builders Association

Scott,
Do you also require experience as other guys mentioned.
You need to meet the yearly points thing now don't you? Continuous learning whatsit called??
I though you could do the theory without trade then meet requirements by further study or evidence of an owner/builder job.
I haven't looked into it for ages. I did a dip structural engineering which covered the stuff for builders licence it was then just jumping hoops for fair trading plus their buckets needed cash dropped in

A select couple of unis offer the course 4yrs + industry experience or 6 yrs p/t (I took the latter option - actually not an option in those days). CPD is part of it, able to knock it over in a day with an MBA course.

The requirements now are a lot tighter through Fair Trading as residential occupiers/investors need protection from builders.

Mind you, it is still possible to strap on your nailbag and build an Opera House or 60 storey office block tomorrow cause you don't need a licence at all :eek:

A select couple of unis offer the course 4yrs + industry experience or 6 yrs p/t (I took the latter option - actually not an option in those days). CPD is part of it, able to knock it over in a day with an MBA course.

The requirements now are a lot tighter through Fair Trading as residential occupiers/investors need protection from builders.

Mind you, it is still possible to strap on your nailbag and build an Opera House or 60 storey office block tomorrow cause you don't need a licence at all :eek:

sweet. nothings changed then. i dont have the patience to go to uni and deal with those "educated" people! they can keep their expensive paper

Whats with the office block no licence?? Is that a shot at the commercial builders who do not require an official builders licence when its a large contract build??

sweet. nothings changed then. i dont have the patience to go to uni and deal with those "educated" people! they can keep their expensive paper

Whats with the office block no licence?? Is that a shot at the commercial builders who do not require an official builders licence when its a large contract build??

No perfectly legitimate - if you can scrape together $X0,000,000 you can afford a lawyer. The law is there to protect homeowners which is also why security of payment legislation doesn't touch owner occupied (in nsw).

Back