NSW new strata law

"All older buildings will need to be retrospectively fitted with the devices within five years."

Plenty of time (to sell)

Lets see, 50 windows at $15 = $750

Not too bad I suppose

"All older buildings will need to be retrospectively fitted with the devices within five years."

Plenty of time (to sell)

Lets see, 50 windows at $15 = $750

Not too bad I suppose

That would be if you can install yourself - given I'm interstate I'll be having it done and Labour is what hurts the most.

To be honest it's not even the cost it's the ongoing change to sanatise the home, which I don't think will work as much as well as they hope - children (and stupid people) will almost always find ways to hurt themselves unless looked after 24/7.

Next year it will be something new.

From May, all windows above ground floor in new strata buildings will have to have locks or devices to prevent them opening more than 12.5cm, Fair Trading Minister Anthony Roberts said on Wednesday.

Hmmm... so what happens on hot days... lets use more electricity and turn on the AC! :)

Just ban kids from living on any floor above ground. Otherwise ban the installation of furniture within 900 mm of windows (as per food courts in shopping centres).

Given that the windows in NSW unit blocks are normally common property, it will probably become the responsibility of the owners corporation to fit the locks. So that's extra funds that will be required, and that's assuming the owners corporation can get access to every unit that is affected. Then what has to be done to ensure the locks remain in place - annual inspections? That's more costs and more access issues, just like annual fire safety inspections.

I could comment ad nauseum on the lack of personal (let alone parental) responsibility that is expected of people these days, but I'm sure most people here feel the same way. Anyway, I'm just a greedy landlord so I suppose I should just cough up and shut up.

Hmmm... so what happens on hot days... lets use more electricity and turn on the AC! :)

Exactly, please look at the long term implications of this..

If your unit does not have AC tenants are going to demand it if they cannot open windows. They are going to want AC in all bedrooms as well as the living areas.

look at the cost of security screens (not fly screens) instead, overall a cheaper option (and better for the environment)

Last edited:
Given that the windows in NSW unit blocks are normally common property, it will probably become the responsibility of the owners corporation to fit the locks. So that's extra funds that will be required, and that's assuming the owners corporation can get access to every unit that is affected. Then what has to be done to ensure the locks remain in place - annual inspections? That's more costs and more access issues, just like annual fire safety inspections.

I could comment ad nauseum on the lack of personal (let alone parental) responsibility that is expected of people these days, but I'm sure most people here feel the same way. Anyway, I'm just a greedy landlord so I suppose I should just cough up and shut up.

And how do you ensure that your tenants keep the windows locked anyway? It's fine to have them there, but you can't enforce that they keep them locked can you?

We have a 1st floor 1970's unit that I would not personally lean on the glass so window locks would not resolve my issue.

We have sought legal advise for this particular property and

- placed our concerns in writing to the strata manager and executive committee

- offered to replace the windows and fittings at our costs

- noted the objects and non approval from the strata

- filed away correspondance and issued copies to our insurance company as well as the strata corp's.

What is really stupid is that with the block of units that we own, there is no requirement to undertake these works as they are not on stratum.

This is just another cost of doing business.

Lets consider this: Kids climb. Kids can move furniture. No amount of supervision can cover all angles.

You can buy locks for say $100 and fit yourself. IT that too hard to reduce accidents by 95% as cited in New York. Are tenants in any state to pay on time when they just seen their child die in their arms.

Those complaining could say the same thing for smoke detectors and pool fences but they work and save lives.

FYI our smoke detector goes off if you burn toast. OK we all find it annoying except when as at X mas, we actually had a real (small) fire.

What happened was Candles for decoration, slowly melted hot wax over cardboard, smouldered and caught alight over 4 hours. Depite being in full view of guests no-one noticed until alarm, it was at the back the melt. I was asleep ( as you do ) on X mas arvo :D woke me up. All over in 10 seconds. No alarm, who knows. :confused::confused::confused:

FYI Peter 14.7

Back