NSW Street names database

Does anyone know where I can get a hold of every street name in NSW for free?

Conveniently in a huge spreadsheet or database format would be ideal, but even if there is a web site that lists them all, I can write something to suck them down.

Many thanks.

I found this site that has postcodes and distance from CBD. http://myboot.com.au/

My only suggestion is to scan the index pages from a street directory and use Optical Character Recognition software to convert it into data. Certainly meets the requirement of Free.

Does anyone know where I can get a hold of every street name in NSW for free?

This begs the Q, "What are you going to do with that info?" :confused:

A GPS springs to mind. Not sure how you'd extract the data though. Ot the OCR software & scan of a paper street directory as andymac4321 suggested.

It's for a web site that needs the data on-hand behind the scenes. Nothing evil or with bad motives ;) lol.

I won't reduce myself to being a paper scanner, there has to be an easier way for example if I can even find some web site somewhere that reveals them on a page-by-page basis then I can automate requests to that page and suck them all done electronically.

I have contacted all the various local councils and also Australia Post PAF providers, but they say they won't supply you with a dump, you have to rather send individual addresses to them to be validated.

So probably the only commercial offering seems to be GNAF which I have used in a corporate environment before and goes for about 30k/yr from memory. It's just an amazing dataset however with every individual address including lat/long of every house in the country!

But I simply need a list of street names. It may be possibly to suck them out of one of the Google APIs I am investigating if they reveal enough to let you do that, but I think it will be slightly convoluted.

Great find Andy and thx for passing it on. Totally do'able.

But I have just ran a few tests and unfortunately the list that they return in those js files only include streets which they have records for. E.g. if there were no "old listings" in a particular street, then they don't return it. It's not a definitive list of "all streets" kind of thing..

But that is totally the type of thing I am after if you can find something with more complete data, I am getting excited!! Cheers :)

Back