NSW Unit Trusts

The NSW Court of Appeal decision in Sayden P/L v Cheif Cmmr would have to concern many investors with a unit trust together with a significant number who have used various forms of "fixed trust" such as land tax unit trusts in the past. In that decision the taxpayer had a unit trust that wasnt consiered a fixed trust. Hence to receive the tax free threshold for land tax, the trust deed was amended. The court considered those amendments failed to create a fixed trust. The unit trust wasnt a fixed trust and so $6,000 more land tax has to be paid annually.

How ?
Clause 4 : The trustee had discretion over wnding up the trust. No apparent mechanism permitted unitholders to call for winding up.
Clause 9 : Unit holders had no "absolute right of redemption" The trustee had power under clause 9B to refuse a request to redeem. I call it the "trustee discretion problem".
Clause 6 allowed trustee to issue another class of units often referred to as "special units" to dilute present entitlements. (I would argue the trust could be a Hybrid unit trust NOT a fixed trust)
etc...

This is an emerging problem for not just NSW unit trusts but also for many unit trusts which hold SMSF property in accordance with SISR 13.22. A few years back a comprehesive review of many unit trust deeds in the market being purchased by accountants, lawyers and planners indicated most contained terms which were consistent with Clause 9. That appears fatal for a land tax unit trust in NSW and may yet be found fatal for a SMSF especially if a trustee can limit redemption values to cost or to value whic is not a proprtion of the market value of the trust at the time of the event. The Commissioner hasnt yet formed an opinion but has been considering the problem.

One major provider of trust deeds sold me a NSW fixed unit trust that contained some clauses which OSR even agreed were inconsistent with a NSW fixed trust. And they dont appear to have told practitioners. If they did they didnt tell me and I bought one. 40+ pages of A4 toilet paper.

Lets not misunderstand things :
1. The ATO position hasnt changed. They still have no idea if clauses which allow a trustee to refuse to redeem units owned by a SMSF trustee or which allow valuation of the units to be at some price which does not reflect present market value.
2. The NSW OSR havent yet indicated how they will apply the decision in Sayden.
3. What will Victoria do. They were the state the started the whole "fixed unit trust" problem way back.
4. This issue for now should only affect NSW landowners using a unit trust.

In the meantime as an accountant with shelves of ticking timebombs what should I do? I would seek some guidance. Not from the firm that sold the deed - You can imagine what their response will be. Instead I would seek the views of Macquarie Group Services. www.macquariegs.com.au

MGS is a private company that provides deeds and services to accountants and lawyers + planners. Its got no links to that well known bank. I used to work there and know Chris Batten is on top of this. Most deeds CAN BE AMENDED. But this case indicates it has to be perfromed correctly cause in Sayden's case it wasnt and it ended up with a failed appeal. Chris has the OSR ruling on his deed AND amending clauses.

Like Bamford, I would also be digging out every NSW unit trust deed and checking which trusts own land. For SMSFs I would want to pay attention to redemption rights that use anything except an absolute entitlement. I would want to be sure the deed is OK before OSR ask for a copy and seek to amend the past 4 years at $6,000 a year.

Anybody else got any good ideas on who else currently sells a trust deed that works in NSW with absolute entitelement based on market value, no trustee discretion problems AND a OSR Ruling?? The MGS deeds arent cheap but are good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the dangers of setting up a trust yourself.

I bet the provider of those deeds that don't meet the fixed definition will come up with an alert or a newsletter saying "the law has recently changed on fixed trusts.." when it hasn't!

I would suggest using the MGS deed because of their private ruling from the OSR.

Paul

curious why you ordered a fixed unit trust from a provider other than mgs when you know chris has spent hundreds of hours with the osr and legal counsel including barristers and obtaining rulings for his fixed trusts. Might be 40+ pages of dunny paper but curious why you were looking in the toiletry section for your writing pads when you should have been at office works. You worked there as well so perplexed why you were getting your deeds elsewhere.

given your knowledge of the mgs deeds and your decision to purchase one for a client without reviewing that providers deed i would think the client would have a good argument to sue you for the land tax as they could argue professional negligence. Agree we only ever use mgs deeds.

Mike

Truth be told I had a client approach who had bought deed and it looked wrong, real wrong. So I ordered a clean deed which was clearly described as a "NSW Land Tax Unit Trust" and Chris had a look. He sent it to OSR for their views who REJECTED it and said it was not a fixed unit trust. Yet they said it worked.

You know that was three years ago and to this day they havent told me the trust was defective and their sample deed still show some of the clauses which look "hybrid". I looked at some others too and they didnt look great. I'm still subscribed for their newsletters and they haven't mentioned the need to amend yet. The problem looks CLEAR in their DOCS.

I wonder how many have purchased these deed time bombs. This case just affirms that the problem is real. Now I'm also questioning discretionary trusts and even SMSFs too.

Agreed paul. Accountants ordering cheap trust deeds and smsf deeds to save a little bit. Even worse clients relying on the online deeds. Agreed a ticking time bomb.and why we at house of wealth are proud to say we NEVER order deeds from anyone else than macquarie group services

Truth be told I had a client approach who had bought deed and it looked wrong, real wrong. So I ordered a clean deed which was clearly described as a "NSW Land Tax Unit Trust" and Chris had a look. He sent it to OSR for their views who REJECTED it and said it was not a fixed unit trust. Yet they said it worked.

You know that was three years ago and to this day they havent told me the trust was defective and their sample deed still show some of the clauses which look "hybrid". I looked at some others too and they didnt look great. I'm still subscribed for their newsletters and they haven't mentioned the need to amend yet. The problem looks CLEAR in their DOCS.

I wonder how many have purchased these deed time bombs. This case just affirms that the problem is real. Now I'm also questioning discretionary trusts and even SMSFs too.

My understanding is that the company you referred to actually wrote to all people who had bought those defective deeds and offered free upgrades for a limited time.

Back