NZ Property Market

Certainly more bang for your buck with some of the nice houses listed.
What are the negatives of buying in NZ?

Cheers Spades.

Yes, been there a few times as my mother lived there for a while. Didnt seem like much to write home about. Just another small town on the east coast between chch and dunedin.

It would be intersesting to know what has caused the 15x growth.

But i have the nz herald in my hands with a big write up on the market going crazy overe there. It has all the suburbs and how the median has changed over the last 12 months.

Oamaru- median drop -7% 225k to 209500 and a 3% rise in sales. This is data from reinz and fairfax.

Let me know if you want any other suburb data.

Some auckland suburbs are 40-60% change in median over the last 12 months

A couple of suburbs looking to hit a median of 2mill, one of them st marys bay up 61% from 12 months ago.

The market is going strong by the looks.

Thanks for the info.
Interested in watching the NZ market, may be already too late to jump in.

Cheers
MTR

Certainly more bang for your buck with some of the nice houses listed.
What are the negatives of buying in NZ?

Cheers Spades.

not so much negatives, you can find good oportunities in most markets.
maybe earthquakes are negatives :D
and limiting no of high lvr loans may have some effect.

but positives are no stamp duty or cgt. some good yeilds and now a bit of cg.

cheers

For those currently looking NZ - cash flow properties, received this via email.

I have no vested interest in any of these deals or the company, though I have purchased using this company/person.

Not necessarily recommending any of these properties, just posting for those interested, of course do your own DD to establish whether they are good deals.

Two Deals

We have two really exciting properties for you heading into the Christmas break.

10% equity with good cashflow is hard to find in Hamilton, especially with so little work required. We were able to secure at this price only because the vendor needs to settle on another property and this deal will not be availble for long so get in touch.

We also have another viticulture rental property in Blenheim with the same excellent cashflow numbers as we have sourced earlier in the year. If your rental income doesn't cover the mortgage then you have to, so we encourage you to take a look at properties like this

Equity & Yield in Hamilton

We've got something for you that there isn't a whole lot of in the property market today, a hot deal in Hamilton.

This spacious three bedroom home is the ultimate step onto the property ladder, both for investors or home owners. The house is on a well positioned 718sqm fully fenced section with good garaging and plenty of room for kids.

There is a double garage and access for more cars to park on the back of the section if needed. The property is handy to schools, parks, main city transport and easy access to Te Awa - The Base Shopping Center.

The previous owner had lived in the property for 10 years so some tidy up would definitely increase the value. In it's current condition we have a verbal valuation of $270-275,000 and a small $10K reno will see this property value north of $290K.

The rental estimate is $350 per week, however a property next door is rented for $380 so we are possibly being a shade conservative. $350-380 per week nets out to a strong 7.3-7.9% yield in a very well established area of Hamilton.
More details and pictures can be seen here

Email or call Mark 021 402990 for more information or inspection of this property.

Great Cashflow! $11-14K on 100% Lending

We are excited to offer another viticulture worker accommodation property. Mark is based in Blenheim and his connections with the local property community means we are offered these deals first.

We are careful to only bring you properties of this nature that are well run by operaters with a strong track record and this is no exception. The property comes with a furniture pack and has been run perfectly well as a going concern supporting a core industry in Marlborough for the last 7 years.

The property is just 600m from town and and has 4 bedrooms and a recently renovated bathroom. In addition there is a relatively new sleep out with a bathroom and small deck.

It is in a good area of town, surrounded by other lovely family homes and is popular with workers who enjoy the location and it's spacious section.

The numbers on this property are great. On 100% lending this property will pay the owner between $11,000 ? $14,000 Pre Tax Cash-flow, thats after every expense.

Income
? $54,600 (42 weeks @ $1300 a week ? This is assuming just winter Pruning and Summer Maintenance periods)
Expenses
? Power $7,200
? Insurance $1,300
? Rates $2,500
? Cleaning $1,680
? Lawns $500
? Property Management $5,000
? Maintenance $3,000
? Lending $21,900 (100% lending @ 6%)
? Total Expenses $43,080

Pre-tax income is $11,000 per year. That assumes 42 weeks occupancy. 45-46 weeks is common, which would push your profit north of $14,000 per year.

One very easy strategy with this property would be to fix most of the loan at today's rate and use the income to quickly reduce your mortgage, protecting you against future intrest rate increases. More details of the property and further pictures are available here.

Email or call Mark 021 402990 for more information or inspection of this property.

Thank you and regards,

Mark Honeybone
Co Founder and Sales Manager
Licensed Salesperson REAA 2008
Property Ventures Buyers Agency
IFPNZ Ltd - Licensed Agent REAA 2008

Mark Honeybone
Licensed Salesperson
REAA 2008
021 402990
[email protected]

There are terrific opportunities in the NZ market, particularly Auckland with apartments at half the price of Melbourne. Not alot of awareness about NZ property imo. I see further growth in NZ in the next 12 months.

Dear Redwood, Is there any Australian Bank that will lend on NZ properties. If you are living and working in Australia (Australian Citizens).

not so much negatives, you can find good oportunities in most markets.
maybe earthquakes are negatives :D
and limiting no of high lvr loans may have some effect.

but positives are no stamp duty or cgt. some good yeilds and now a bit of cg.

cheers

Thanks HD_ACE,

Definitely food for thought.

How would you go with finance?

Cheers Spades.

I'm part of the Property Ventures site that MTR linked to, in fact I authored that email to our investors :)

Full disclosure I found this site today because it showed up as a source of traffic to our site - I can could that MTR is not affiliated with us in any way, but thank you for saying nice things about us.

I'm happy to answer any questions anybody might have about the New Zealand market. There is a lot of opportunity for investors looking to do something - regardless of the price point you're working at. Christchurch and Auckland are very strong right now - we will be putting together some investments into Christchurch this year - and Wellington is poised to be next.

So whats your thoughts on the auckland market atm nick?
South, east west north and central.
Throw some numbers at us :D

Cheers

This is normally not an issue. No stamp duty or CGT either ;-)

Yeh I'd be keen to hear some more of your thoughts. Do you know much about the process and costs for small developments in nz, eg retain and builds duplexes and triplexes - something I could be interested in. Also I have family with some investment properties in chch, they have experienced really good growth the last few years due to lack of supply after earthquakes, can this continue? And are they getting on top of true supply situation because I know there's a lot of construction and new subdivisions going up at the moment.

Cheers

Blair

Auckland - my business partner is far closer to the market there than I am. I could only speak in "macro" concepts that you could probably get from any news site. He's back in the office from tomorrow so I'll sort out a decent reply.

New developments - they're still profitable if you can get the sections cheap. It costs more to build in NZ than Australia for some reason, despite us growing your wood! I would target Tauranga for this kind of project. Very fast growing town and a lot of money moving there from Auckland, similar story to what I hear happened with people moving to Brisbane back in the day.

ChCh - probably has 2-3 years to run. I'm not sure if prices and rents will stay at their levels once more supply comes online to be honest. A lot of people left that town. We are seriously looking at doing some projects in ChCh this year, relocating and fixing up damaged homes to a near-new standard. If this kind of a venture is interesting to you please feel free to send me a PM and I'll provide more details - I'm sure there are rules about promoting on the forums.

I just came across this thread and it's interesting, I've been thinking about NZ property recently, Oamaru as mentioned but also Invercargill. Yields are great, plus Invercargill from limited info I have is surrounded by dairy farms, and dairy is going through a boom due to demand from Asia.

The polytech there offers free tertiary education, not sure if there's an end date to this, but it provides a large pool of potential tenants. There's talk of Shell Oil drilling for gas in the Great South Basin in the next few years which should be good for the region.

Thanks to all who provided the various links too.

I just came across this thread and it's interesting, I've been thinking about NZ property recently, Oamaru as mentioned but also Invercargill. Yields are great, plus Invercargill from limited info I have is surrounded by dairy farms, and dairy is going through a boom due to demand from Asia.

The polytech there offers free tertiary education, not sure if there's an end date to this, but it provides a large pool of potential tenants. There's talk of Shell Oil drilling for gas in the Great South Basin in the next few years which should be good for the region.

Thanks to all who provided the various links too.

I think Steve McKnight is buying up in Oamaru, we know what happens when he does this, prices soar, investors jump in.

Cheers
MTR

Back