obligation to realtor

Can anyone tell me how long you are legally obligated to use the same agent on a property after contacing them.

In January this year I put in an offer on a property then withdrew. The property is still on the market and listed now with other agents. I am interested in making a second offer but do not like to use the same agent. Can I change now or am I still legally obliged to use the same agant that made the first offer back in January

I don't think you have any obligation to the agent at all. If there were any obligations it would be the seller to the agent, but it doesn't sound like that is the case given the lenght of time etc.

Some solicitors will (& should) add special conditions that indemnifies the vendors from any claim by a REA that introduces a buyer to the property, and puts the liability onto the purchaser. I would be touching base with you solicitor first.

Tika - I'd be interested to know what obligation you think you have? What contractual or other relationship do you think exists? I agree with s_t and don't think you have any.

I looked at a place a year or so before actually buying it. When I bought it, it was with another agent. The first agent called me to make sure I knew she was entitled to a cut as she had introduced me to the property. Second agent had already told her he would be sharing the commission, and that he knew she was entitled as introducing agent. This was a year later. She was just making sure I knew she was entitled to her cut. This call really annoyed me, as this should be between the agents, not my problem.

But check it out first so you don't get caught up in their problem.

i would be one of those ill fight you for the money things as agencys ard doing it tough, but if agent one couldn't seal the deal then agent one is not entitled to the dollers, but that agent would see it differantly of course. either way this is not your issue, and if your phone rings for the stuff that wylie said simply say i did'nt buy the place because i did not feel comfortable with you, then they won't go to court for a thing?

Good point wylie - even though there may be no contractual obligation, you're not in control of whether or not you get a call that that from an agent. Bit of a cheek on the part of the agent though! My first reaction would have been to ask why they're calling me!

I would notify the vendor and the selling agent in writing that I had seen the property with the other agent so they cannot pretend that I withheld that from them.

Can anyone tell me how long you are legally obligated to use the same agent on a property after contacing them.

In January this year I put in an offer on a property then withdrew. The property is still on the market and listed now with other agents. I am interested in making a second offer but do not like to use the same agent. Can I change now or am I still legally obliged to use the same agant that made the first offer back in January

You can use any agent you like to buy the property as it is the sellers who have a contract with the agent and must pay commission. They would probably have signed a contract whereby the agreed to pay commission to the oriignal agent if someone they introduced later purchases the property. So they may be up for double commission.

But be careful of the contract of sale, as stated above, as they may have a caluse in there that you warrant that you were introduced by the agent on the front page of the contract. That means you could be liable for any second commisison payable.

So i would be upfront with the new agent and tell them you were originally introduced by another agent and then also be careful with the wording of the contract.

This fee mess is one reason I refuse to give my real name to REA at open inspections. I use my given name plus my business name as my "surname" and have done that for years.

A dedicated name is also good to keep track of call backs.

Back