Off to an auction tonight - Marrickville property.

I came home a couple of weeks ago and said, ‘I want to buy a welder. His name is Albert.’

Then I had to back up a few steps.

This is the property:

http://www.commercialrealestate.com...or-sale/nsw/marrickville/industrial-warehouse

Zoned light industrial and being sold as a ‘going concern’ – Albert the welder is in situ.

That knocks out of contention groovy young Inner West things who want to buy a warehouse to live in – bigger deposit, probable commercial lending rate, possible GST issue down the track. And they can't live in it.

And as a commercial property, it’s not ideal - there is brand new stuff in the suburb at a reasonable cost.

So it’s going to be people like me interested - people who have the equity and serviceability and the propensity for a punt. I’m getting it through as a resi lend and I’d be banking on it going up in value.

I wasn’t even looking for something. I was sitting here at work minding my own business and reading one of those Somersoft threads on the Inner West. I thought I would have a look at RE.com.au to see what was happening in Marrickville, and I saw this place.

Then a couple of days later, it disappeared. I called the agent to find out what was happening and he said, ‘We were getting too many calls so we pulled it off the resi site and left it on the commercial RE site only.’ I made the observation that there were possibly worse problems than a listing attracting too much interest, but I saw his point – every person who called would have wanted to live there.

I tried to ignore it, but the planets were lining up:

- I know Albert the welder – he’s done some aluminium stuff for me over the years.
- The bloke I play tennis with used to work for the selling agent.
- My tough and very clever Greek conveyance knows the agent – her son went to school with him.
- A pub I used to go to occasionally is just around the corner and currently being glammed up.

So I had no choice but to have a go.

I was going to get Propertunity to bid for me at the auction because he’s always in the Inner West and because I’m a bit ill disciplined, but I thought that was a bit of a cop-out.

Albert the welder is keen to stay. I told him if I bought it he’ll be clearing out upstairs and just keeping downstairs. And he’ll be paying more rent than he’s paying now – he’s not as keen on that bit. But I told him that looking on the bright side, he would only be paying half the outgoings and I said I would help him ramp up his business to cover the extra rent. Off the top of my head, I suggested as a start a sign that says what he does might be useful. And I went out on a limb and said that I didn’t think it would be over the top for him to have his phone number displayed somewhere so people could perhaps call him. He thought they were reasonable suggestions. I think Albert and I would get on famously.

If it goes for more than I want to pay, I won’t be disappointed because it’s going to be a bunfight for a while and interfere with my nice, uncomplicated life.

I was in the front of the ambulance, so I was fine. My 12 year old daughter was in the back: the old 'soccer ball to the face and possible dislocated jaw' scenario.
My wife met us at the hospital for the handover.

Prop, you're right. That's what it's worth as a commercial property. But this is 'mad Marrickville' so who knows. I'm looking at it as something for down the track - possibly when we downsize. By then, residential might be possible.

I was in the front of the ambulance, so I was fine. My 12 year old daughter was in the back: the old 'soccer ball to the face and possible dislocated jaw' scenario.
My wife met us at the hospital for the handover.

Prop, you're right. That's what it's worth as a commercial property. But this is 'mad Marrickville' so who knows. I'm looking at it as something for down the track - possibly when we downsize. By then, residential might be possible.

Hey Scott

Hope your daughter is ok- just been through another soccer injury with my eldest daughter (just had second knee recon two days ago)- so much for a gentle sport :rolleyes:

Best of luck with the auction tonight :D

A couple of X-rays and some prodding and the jaw is fine. She's home now and singing, so that's a good sign - and evidence of some potent pain killers.
The property went for $655K. I was the under bidder. I knocked everyone out and a bloke came in with a couple of feisty late $10K bids. He was going to keep going. I decided I would go to $650K and I stuck to my guns.
I'm glad I gave it a go and glad my uncomplicated life can proceed as normal.

Okay, it's the morning after and I'm in that glum 'morning after being beaten at an auction' mood.

How are you getting it through on resi rates Scott?

Because I have an embarrassment of lazy PPOR equity and decent income. The bank said they would do it as a resi - and there was no need to cross coll.

can it be converted to residential ?

Right now, no. But half the small warehouses in Marrickville have people living in them - illegally. Down the track, there will be zoning shifts as industry moves out.

How much was it being rented out for if I can ask?

Albert the welder had a lease that expired in 2003. He's paying $250 per week for the whole building. I could have got him up to around $400 for downstairs and then rented out upstairs to someone else.

I had a beer with the agent afterwards. He was one of the commercial agents and was surprised at the price. I told him as a commercial property I thought it was worth about $550K. But those few days it spent on RE.com.au produced the extra $100K because it exposed the property to people like me.

I feel sorry for Albert. All his work would come from people just dropping past with little jobs. He'll probably just close up. I have a job I need him to do so I'll drop it down next week - and ask him if he wants to sell his cold cut saw.

No, for exactly the reasons as have unfolded for the OP. As a pure commercial transaction I can figure its worth in relation to net lettable area and likely rental return- in the absence of development potential. This one is marketed as residential so pricing notions become a bit skewed as we are now comparing apples with tangerines.

Back