Offer before an open

Found a property I really like and the agent wont show me before the open. On the phone he gave me the impression that he just couldn't be bothered. :confused:
However, I know the area well and the numbers stack up. Am sure that there will be other offers if I leave it until the open.

My question:
How likely is it that a REA will pass on a genuine offer to a vendor before an open if I haven't seen inside the property? I don't want to give him price ammo to use.

(PS. These days do REA's still automatically add 10% to the price they really want? I haven't sold a house for several years now.)

Cheers all!

Hi Laurie

If you're genuinely interested and you feel that you've got a strong offer than put it forward.

Some agents are less proactive and efficient than others - but any offer should be presented to the vendor.

The listing price is usually higher than the expected sale price - it gives the vendor some wiggle room in negotiations and also enables them to drop the price if there's little or no interest early on.

Is the property in Canberra?

Cheers

Jamie

Thanks Jamie.

Yes I am often amazed at how lack lustre and apathetic some agents are in their selling process. They seem to forget that buyers are often future sellers too.:rolleyes:

Think I will put in an offer and see how I go. This ones in NSW but am also looking in the ACT too.

Thanks Jamie.

Yes I am often amazed at how lack lustre and apathetic some agents are in their selling process. They seem to forget that buyers are often future sellers too.:rolleyes:

Think I will put in an offer and see how I go. This ones in NSW but am also looking in the ACT too.

What part of NSw, some parts of Sydney are listed offers from and going for up to 10% from the list price

No looking in newcastle (and canberra and cairns).

Last time I sold a house the agent asked me what price I wanted and then added 10%. Is this still common practice?

The agent should pass on your offer pretty much as soon as he receives it. I would ask the agent to prepare a contract and ask that it be presented immediately. You may want to put a clause in the contract that the offer is only valid for 24 hours. This will hopefully get the agent moving!

My understanding is that Newcastle is reasonably warm to hot at the moment. I've noticed that in a slow market agents work a lot harder and they tend to get a bit lazy in hot markets. The agent probably knows that if they don't sell it to you today, they'll almost certainly sell it to someone else. :(

Last time I sold a house the agent asked me what price I wanted and then added 10%. Is this still common practice?

This is the new industry standard. Valuers just turn up at your house, ask you what you think it is worth and add 10%. It makes their job a lot simpler.

I don't want to be rude but are you serious?

Newcastle agents can be painful. I made a written offer on a property recently with a sunset clause, the expiry date came and went with no contact from the agent, rang the agent to see whats up and did they even get the e-mail, he said he took the offer to the vendors and they rejected it, he just forgot to contact me to let me know :confused:

If we're going to make an offer around first open , I'll look at what other properties the agent has open on that day and ring up just after his last open has closed to make the offer .

Not sure if it does anything , but my reasoning is that it doesn't give the agent time to tell other potential buyers what other people are doing on the day of the inspection , but it does give them a chance to tell the owner so they have the weekend to think about it.

With a good agent it shouldn't make a difference as they will usually contact all other interested buyers on monday.

I would be surprised if they accept an offer before the first open . I'd expect the agent to encourage the owner to go with the first open and then tell everyone they're had an offer and probably what that offer was . This gives other buyers time to think about what they might offer while their looking at the property.

The reason for making the offer after the agents last open , is that you will often see the same people at opens and I have been " updated " about offers by agents at subsequent opens.

Cliff

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Cliff, I like your advice about putting in an offer after the first open and might give that a shot for the ones I want to offer on this weekend. Most of the REA's I have been dealing with have been ignoring my sunset clauses, and won't go out of their way to show me through anything before the first open.

Turns out the place I was really interested in was in the process of trying to be subdivided so the owners can build a house in the rear yard. (what I wanted to do :rolleyes:) Only found out that from the contract not from speaking with the agent or form the ad itself, where no land size was quoted, the rotten stinkers! All these weird conditions in the contract about what will happen if the council accepts/rejects the DA application, etc etc :eek:

I would also second newcastle market being fairly hot atm. Luckily, there are still some lazy agents, hopefully they will list something that interests me soon. Cheers everyone :D

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Cliff, I like your advice about putting in an offer after the first open and might give that a shot for the ones I want to offer on this weekend. Most of the REA's I have been dealing with have been ignoring my sunset clauses, and won't go out of their way to show me through anything before the first open.

Turns out the place I was really interested in was in the process of trying to be subdivided so the owners can build a house in the rear yard. (what I wanted to do :rolleyes:) Only found out that from the contract not from speaking with the agent or form the ad itself, where no land size was quoted, the rotten stinkers! All these weird conditions in the contract about what will happen if the council accepts/rejects the DA application, etc etc :eek:

I would also second newcastle market being fairly hot atm. Luckily, there are still some lazy agents, hopefully they will list something that interests me soon. Cheers everyone :D

In the Sydney market at the moment , the agents know they're going to sell unless the owner is totally unrealistic. With the house we bought in Turramurra about ten weeks ago now , the house had had a tenant was leaving and the house was vacant for about two weeks before they had the first open . It was advertised on the net . We sent emails , rang the agent on their mobile and the office number and the agent didn't get back to us . The only reassuring thing was that I knew anyone else would be getting the same lack of service and when we made our offer , as I outlined , we never had any feeling that the agent was chasing up other people and we were able to negotiate and exchange before the next weekend.

Cliff

Back