"Offers Over"

LOL!

That applies to everyone and in every walk of life, for everything.

Over my lifetime in retail sales and general customer service, the amount of work (and travel) folks go to in order to save a few bucks is astounding.

Not only astounding, but really sad that they have to be so frackin' tight and miserable about every dollar in their lives.

One particular event I remember was when I was a trainee Golf Pro at a really busy public golf course, and we had a particular golf buggy for sale for $44 (circa (1980)..

This pain in the @rse kept coming in saying he could get the same buggy for $40 over in another suburb - easily 20 mins or more drive away.

We said; "Great deal; go and get one". (of course; either he didn't want to drive there, or was basically talking through his rectum).

He kept at us every week for about 2 months about this frickin' $4 discount, and we kept saying frack off. He was endless.

Keep in mind this was back in the days of cash only, and no "Off Course" golf shops to compete with - it was virtually a captive market, and we sold mountains of stuff. We could care less whether he bought one or not, basically.

Eventually he ponied up the $44. Jeesus H.

LOL Bayview I feel your pain!
I held a garage sale some years ago to raise funds for my daughter's volunteer Cambodia trip and put out a brand new pair of shoes I'd never worn (impulse buy I know I know... it's a female thing :D) with a miserly $2 on the box (from memory they cost approx$30 new and were labelled) - a lady tried them on (yes they fit well) groaned about the $2 and offered me $1.... :eek: even when I pointed out I what I was raising money for it didn't deter her. I declined on principal :D

I held a garage sale some years ago to raise funds for my daughter's volunteer Cambodia trip and put out a brand new pair of shoes I'd never worn (impulse buy I know I know... it's a female thing :D) with a miserly $2 on the box (from memory they cost approx$30 new and were labelled) - a lady tried them on (yes they fit well) groaned about the $2 and offered me $1.... :eek: even when I pointed out I what I was raising money for it didn't deter her. I declined on principal :D

There are heaps of pent up hagglers out there with no space to argue over price! We need more street markets like other countries so those that feel so inclined can happily call each other names and grunt and groan over 50c.

Damn right.

When we moved to the USA, my wife decided we should have a garage sale to clear out some built-up stuff and get a few dollars. I was dead against it; I hate these things; full of penny-pinching tight @rse down-and-outers and steptoe bogan types who you see down at the sunday market trying to resell the stuff they bought from you. :rolleyes: (I'm such a snob).

It's like a scene out of the "Thunderdome" from the Mad Max series...devolution of the human species at it's finest.

So, of course; it all transpired exactly the way I envisaged, and we took about $180 for 5 hours of excrutiating mindless pain. I would have donated the whole friggin' lot to the Salvos or other.

One chick picked up a complete queen-sized doona cover, flat sheet and pillow case set we had. It was used but barely....price was $5. Retail price when new of about $100 I guess.

Not $50 - it was $5...for the complete set.

So, this steptoe chick offers me $4.00 :rolleyes:

Now; are you frackin' serious?

I have been known to go to the odd garage sale. I ask how much? and when they say the price I just hand over the bloody money.

If I ever found myself haggling over 50c, or dollar - I reckon I'd put a gun to my head.

Last edited:
I too tried to swipe one off the market on Friday prior to its scheduled first open home on Saturday. Agent wouldn't have a bar of it. Three others tried the exact same thing! So she's taking all four offers to the vendor tomorrow.

i was at an auction over the weekend and the house that was on auction advertised over $900K and guess what it sold for/?!?!?!

$1.3 million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

insane

LOL!

That applies to everyone and in every walk of life, for everything.

Over my lifetime in retail sales and general customer service, the amount of work (and travel) folks go to in order to save a few bucks is astounding.

Not only astounding, but really sad that they have to be so frackin' tight and miserable about every dollar in their lives.

One particular event I remember was when I was a trainee Golf Pro at a really busy public golf course, and we had a particular golf buggy for sale for $44 (circa (1980)..

This pain in the @rse kept coming in saying he could get the same buggy for $40 over in another suburb - easily 20 mins or more drive away.

We said; "Great deal; go and get one". (of course; either he didn't want to drive there, or was basically talking through his rectum).

He kept at us every week for about 2 months about this frickin' $4 discount, and we kept saying frack off. He was endless.

Keep in mind this was back in the days of cash only, and no "Off Course" golf shops to compete with - it was virtually a captive market, and we sold mountains of stuff. We could care less whether he bought one or not, basically.

Eventually he ponied up the $44. Jeesus H.

Perfect example, and this guy had done market research on a $4 saving yet people will not look at comparable sales on 500k purchase and blame everyone else but themselves....

Damn right.

So, of course; it all transpired exactly the way I envisaged, and we took about $180 for 5 hours of excrutiating mindless pain. I would have donated the whole friggin' lot to the Salvos or other.

One chick picked up a complete queen-sized doona cover, flat sheet and pillow case set we had. It was used but barely....price was $5. Retail price when new of about $100 I guess.

Not $50 - it was $5...for the complete set.

So, this steptoe chick offers me $4.00 :rolleyes:

Now; are you frackin' serious?

I have been known to go to the odd garage sale. I ask how much? and when they say the price I just hand over the bloody money.

If I ever found myself haggling over 50c, or dollar - I reckon I'd put a gun to my head.

For exact the above reason we did not organise garage sale when we recently shifted houses. The good stuff went to salvos and not so good stuff to skip. Personally I love garage sales, op shops and markets, but I am mad collector. :eek: and stupid one, I do not haggle, can not be bothered for the sake of a couple $.

Back