offset accounts - NOT tax advantages!

New (financial) Year's Resolution

Reply: 4.1.1.2.2.1

I have 2 New Financial Year Resolutions

1) Get my paper work in order (same as every year)

2) Leave the J.O.B (should be by Xmas at the latest)

Owen

"Gambling promises the poor what property performs for the rich – something for nothing"

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 4.1.1.3.1

Well said Rolf.

sim.gif

Last edited:
RE: New (financial) Year's Resolution

Reply: 4.1.1.2.2.1.1

> 2) Leave the J.O.B (should be by Xmas at the latest)

Owen, great goal.. May I ask how old you are? Will it be the "Buy/Reno"
route to the Rat Race exit?

Regards

Duncan

Reply: 4.1.1.3.1.1

Hi everyone

Thanks for your replies. Your hostility against someone looking for advice is strange and bewildering though. It makes me think you abhor anyone who may contradict your own opinions and that seems like the ultimate path of ignorance and the sign of a truly closed mind.

It's been argued on this forum before about people having the right to keep themselves anonymous. I've chosen that right and am sticking by it.

Anon

Reply: 4.1.1.3.1.1.1

On 7/2/02 6:48:00 PM, Anonymous wrote:
>
>It's been argued on this forum
>before about people having the
>right to keep themselves
>anonymous. I've chosen that
>right and am sticking by it.

You have the right to remain anonymous, only if you tell us who you are first.

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 4.1.1.3.1.1.1.1

G'day Anon,

You said "This accountant told me that the above strategy is absolutely NOT legitimate. He told me that since money in the offset account IS effectively reducing the balance upon which the interest is calculated, then that money is effectively diluting the tax deductible proportion of the loan. Not only that, but since the bank treats the money in the offset account in this way, then effectively you CANNOT separate money in the offset account from the home loan in the eyes of the ATO."

Les>> I think most respondees have answered this as though it were an Offset against an IP. An Offset against a PPOR certainly has different implications. e.g. your quote "that money is effectively diluting the tax deductible proportion of the loan" does not apply to a PPOR. You are effectively diminishing the Interest paid to the Bank, but I would BET you've paid your share of Tax in putting AFTER TAX dollars into the Offset in the first place. To MY mind, that makes it YOUR money, and yours to do with as you wish. You've already paid FULL Tax on it.

You also said "A lot of people on this forum have said that offset accounts are a great way to "park" extra funds and so reduce the interest payable on an IP loan, but allowing you the flexibility to withdraw the money later on without effectively reducing the tax deductible portion of your loan. It sounds like having your cake and eating it too which, as this accountant today pointed out to me, the ATO is not dumb enough to let you get away with."

Anon, I would say that in having it "parked" in the Offset account against an IP, I am REDUCING my Tax Deductions (because of the temporary Offset to the mortgage), AND I've paid FULL Tax on the amount that is REDUCING the mortgage - so I don't see the ATO has missed out anywhere, can you? And when I choose to take my own funds out of the Offset to apply them wherever, the mortgage has not changed (has it?) and I again claim the original amount, because I'm no longer "parking" surplus cash in the Offset. Effectively, I had been SAVING the ATO money - but now, I want to use the cash elsewhere - isn't this my right?

As far as "having my cake, and eating it too," - it doesn't sound that way to me (from the above). A strange thing for an Accountant to say, IMHO..... but maybe it was because of the specific "Offset against a PPRO" that made the difference.

I wonder, though, Anon - what would the ATO have you do instead? Park your money in a Savings account so that you can pay more Tax on the Interest from the Savings? If so, who then is "wanting their cake and eating it"?

Try for a second opinion IMHO,

Regards,

Les

- "Eschew Obfuscation" - ;^)

RE: New (financial) Year's Resolution

Reply: 4.1.1.2.2.1.1.1

Duncan,

I'm a grand old man of 37 and yes, the buy/reno route is the one I have chosen. I just have to ensure that my capacity to borrow isn't reduced too much that it stops me moving forward. It's just a matter of getting the right ideas in place for me and I'm off ie cashbond?, LOC's?, No-Doc loans?, structure? etc. I'm nearly there.

Owen

"Gambling promises the poor what property performs for the rich – something for nothing"

Reply: 4.1.1.3.1.1.2

HI Anon,

yes anonymous has been discussed on this forum before, it just gets a little confusing when you have more than one anonymous posting, also a this is a community, its nice to be able to build up a rapport with people and know who you are talking to, even if your name is TW, or GH, or wild cat, or gunnadoit, or something like that, you are still anonymous, but then part of the community, because you have a name.

Some people put a lot of time and effort into looking up information to answer people’s questions.

It would be like asking someone a question in real life, and not introducing yourself first, a bit rude.

So, you can still remain anonymous, but have a nickname (pick anything, it could even be "That_Anonymous_Person), it just shows some manners, or should I say netiquette.

Cheers TW the_formaly_anonymous_but_now_partyied_to_much_with_everyone_so_now_they_know_me_poster

Reply: 4.1.1.3.1.1.1.1.1

Les,

Good pick up. This was a typo:
"A lot of people
>on this forum have said that
>offset accounts are a great
>way to "park" extra funds and
>so reduce the interest payable
>on an IP loan,

I meant to type "...reduce the interest payable on an IO loan"

Hey, the "O" and "P" are right next to one another.

So that's what I meant....that while you're living in the property, you can effectively reduce your interest rate but preserve the tax deductible loan (well, the portion of the loan that will become tax deductible one you move out and convert the property into an IP)
This seems like the best of both worlds.

With regards to netiquette, I'd say that not belittling or bullying others when they ask a question or try to argue a point is more important. If that's the kind of behaviour condoned on this forum, community my ass!

Anon (and proud of it!)

On 7/2/02 8:39:00 PM, Les . wrote:
>
>
>G'day Anon,
>
>You said "This accountant told
>me that the above strategy is
>absolutely NOT legitimate. He
>told me that since money in
>the offset account IS
>effectively reducing the
>balance upon which the
>interest is calculated, then
>that money is effectively
>diluting the tax deductible
>proportion of the loan. Not
>only that, but since the bank
>treats the money in the offset
>account in this way, then
>effectively you CANNOT
>separate money in the offset
>account from the home loan in
>the eyes of the ATO."
>
>Les>> I think most
>respondees have answered this
>as though it were an Offset
>against an IP. An Offset
>against a PPOR certainly has
>different implications. e.g.
>your quote "that money is
>effectively diluting the tax
>deductible proportion of the
>loan" does not apply to a
>PPOR. You are effectively
>diminishing the Interest paid
>to the Bank, but I would BET
>you've paid your share of Tax
>in putting AFTER TAX dollars
>into the Offset in the first
>place. To MY mind, that makes
>it YOUR money, and yours to do
>with as you wish. You've
>already paid FULL Tax on it.
>
>You also said "A lot of people
>on this forum have said that
>offset accounts are a great
>way to "park" extra funds and
>so reduce the interest payable
>on an IP loan, but allowing
>you the flexibility to
>withdraw the money later on
>without effectively reducing
>the tax deductible portion of
>your loan. It sounds like
>having your cake and eating it
>too which, as this accountant
>today pointed out to me, the
>ATO is not dumb enough to let
>you get away with."
>
>Anon, I would say that in
>having it "parked" in the
>Offset account against an IP,
>I am REDUCING my Tax
>Deductions (because of the
>temporary Offset to the
>mortgage), AND I've paid FULL
>Tax on the amount that is
>REDUCING the mortgage - so I
>don't see the ATO has missed
>out anywhere, can you? And
>when I choose to take my own
>funds out of the Offset to
>apply them wherever, the
>mortgage has not changed (has
>it?) and I again claim the
>original amount, because I'm
>no longer "parking" surplus
>cash in the Offset.
>Effectively, I had been SAVING
>the ATO money - but now, I
>want to use the cash elsewhere
>- isn't this my right?
>
>As far as "having my cake, and
>eating it too," - it doesn't
>sound that way to me (from the
>above). A strange thing for
>an Accountant to say,
>IMHO..... but maybe it was
>because of the specific
>"Offset against a PPRO" that
>made the difference.
>
>I wonder, though, Anon - what
>would the ATO have you do
>instead? Park your money in a
>Savings account so that you
>can pay more Tax on the
>Interest from the Savings?
>If so, who then is "wanting
>their cake and eating it"?
>
>Try for a second opinion IMHO,
>
> Regards,
>
>Les
>
>
>- "Eschew Obfuscation" - ;^)

Reply: 4.1.1.3.1.1.1.1.1.1

Hi Anon

So where to from here ?

To offset or to not offset ?

Ta

Rolf

Reply: 4.1.1.3.1.1.2.1

Anon,
Reading your posts, you were not asking a question, but actually stating that the info. you were giving was correct. Even when a very property savvy accountant says it could be done, you seem to have disagreed. I too would be upset with someone who tried to tell me that I was wrong about something I know backwards, especially if that person hasn't got the courage to post under their own name. What do you have to hide by being anon?

Mark
"no hat, some cattle"

Back