oh so the Key did work?

Hi everyone,

PM called and said tenants were having trouble opening locked sliding windows in house.

I questioned that the keys that were handed over to the Tenants also included keys that fit the window locks.
PM said no they dont fit blah blah blah.

Nevertheless a Locksmith was sent out to cut new keys etc he discovered that the tenants had the keys all along and the windows opened fine.
Operator Error.

Invoice: $77 Service call, $20 Labor, $5 for keys.

Now yes only $100+ but should I push back onto the PM and make the tenants pay ??

Or just forget it and put it down to the Joys of being a landlord.

Cheers,

Wirra

Either the tenant or the PM. but definitely not you! Sheesh.. we're already 3 weeks into our property rental with an extra key provided that doesn't seem to open anything, and with a locked kitchen window that doesn't open, and various other windows in states of either locked/unlocked without any keys supplied.... if I had an inkling that our property manager/landlord was like yourself I'd stop being patient and waiting for the property manager to arrange for the locks to be replaced/supply the keys and call out a locksmith to do it and then charge it back to the owner. In your case, you supplied the keys, and told the property manager so.

Part of the PM's responsibility at the ingoing inspection report prior to the tenant taking occupancy is to ensure that all keys are present and fit all locks.

Advise the PM if the tenant is not willing to pay for the cost of the callout then it is up to their agency to ensure the contractor is paid.

Remember to ensure that all correspondence is in writing.

OK Lesson learnt.

What you should have done was say that you know the key fit.
If a locksmith is called out and the keys DO fit then it will be at cost to the tenant. Have them agree to this. If they agree THEN send out the locksmith.

We had a nw intercom fitted at one of our units (the whole block). Our tenant said hers didn't work so I said as above. The serviceman went out and it worked. Cost her $200.

Come down like a tonne of bricks on the agent. If you have supplied 3 sets of keys (& checked that they work and are not for anything else), & the agent has done an incoming inspection report (this has a tick for window locks working), and the tenant hasn't disputed it, then unless it has been broken it is not your problem. Tell the agent that that it is their problem to resolve as they have done the incoming report and inspected and checked the property (& charged you for the privilege).

Something similar happened with one of my tenants. Oven only worked when an air flap was opened. Tenant's daughter came over and tried to use the oven, it wouldn't work so a oven handyman was called. Nothing wrong.

I made the tenants pay for that.

Back