Oil Prices

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone here trades in Oil futures? If so what are your thoughts on current oil price slide and would you be going long anytime soon ? Maybe around $50 per barrel?

Cheers.

I feel oil (and all commodities in general) will still weaken. It sounds clich?, but picking bottoms or tops are impossible, but wait for a solid consolidation and a small run up before looking to get in.

pinkboy

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it would be a good long option, Woodside just announced some new purchases in Canada / % in Wheatstone. Will be interesting to watch

I?m wondering why we haven?t seen the low oil price translate to lower fuel price?

Petrol prices have dropped more than 20% in the last two months, however it would have been more if the dollar wasn't falling at the same time.

Watch this space....

ACCC's new powers to monitor petrol prices take effect

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission's (ACCC) new powers to monitor petrol prices take effect today, with companies on notice they will be exposed if they are gouging consumers.

The ACCC will begin conducting its fuel price monitoring reporting quarterly rather than annually, and has the capacity to investigate specific regions of the fuel market.

Costco has opened their new service station here last week, and I filled up with diesel last week at 17 cents per litre cheaper than at my local.

And miraculously the local will match it not long after :mad:

It's been a week and they haven't yet.

It cost me 59 bucks to fill my car with diesel from dead empty, and it usually goes 3 weeks on a tank. It's been a long time since I've spent less than 20 bucks a week on fuel for the car!

And miraculously the local will match it not long after :mad:

Are you suggesting the fuel retailers have large margins in which to cut from?

Once upon a time my father used to own a number of stations, the margins on the fuel were 2-3 cents/litre at best.

Once upon a time my father used to own a number of stations, the margins on the fuel were 2-3 cents/litre at best.

It still is the case. I own and run 5 service stations across Sydney and the margins are very low on fuel. Money is made from goods sold and or mechanical workshop leased out/ute hire/trailer hire or a car wash.

As to the OP's question, no I don't trade in Oil futures.

However, our company does buy 1000's of litres of oil each year, and we are very happy to have a reduction in costs, even if it only lasts a short while.

So far it's been a saving of 29c a litre over last years highest price.

Last edited:

No, I am aware that the retailers are the "meat in the sandwich" but I am also aware the suppliers have lots of fat in the prices.

We only need to compare prices in Sydney and Canberra, I have read that prices in Canberra are much higher than Sydney. If one outlet starts to sell at a cheaper price the majors will usually soon match it

In Newcastle the local paper started a campaign because local prices were 10c a litre more than Sydney and Cessnock, two weeks later they were almost the same as Sydney.

How does one delete posts from a coffee lounge thread, for being off topic
POSTING GUIDELINES!!

As Ruby eloquently said on our first day:

Welcome to the Coffee Lounge (post #1)

Hello! and welcome to the Coffee Lounge.

This IS THE PLACE TO BE! Come, sit down, have a rest and enjoy the chat.

We are not confined to any specific topic, so feel free to chat about whatever comes to mind, (But please remember we are G-Rated).

Also, you are welcome to test out the new forum features here. Its great, and I’m sure you’ll love it!

Just make sure you visit here often. If you have any questions, Asy and I will be only too happy to help. Oh, and don't forget the tip jar is on the counter!!

Ruby

All discussion is welcome in the coffee lounge, sit down, kick back and post!

I like to throw controversial curve balls in to liven up discussion!

However, I would like to add regarding Shares discussion: Please ensure that no-one gives any 'tips', 'hot buy's' or any other form of "Investment Advice". Other forums have had ASIC problems regarding unlicensed investment advice, and we don't want to be one of them!!

Please fell free to discuss techniques, methods, generalisations, etc..

However any specific stock or market advice will be deleted immediately.

For example:

I believe the SPI went up last week because of the market trends in the NASDAQ... is OK...

I trade warrants and this is how I do it, what do you think? is OK...

I just bought XXY stock and you should to... is not

PLEASE NOTE!!!

ANY SHARES DISCUSSION IN THIS FORUM IS TO BE REGARDED AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY. IT IS NOT TO BE REGARDED OR RELIED UPON AS INVESTMENT ADVICE.

I hope this helps.

I can't wait for our coffee lounge to be transformed to the coffee pit! hehehe

asy
Coffee Lounge
Come on in, chat about anything... just don't spill the coffee on the keyboard ! Tea and Hot Chocolate also served.
Test messages are okay in here - but they may be deleted when the cleaner comes through to mop the floors.
for being offensive, personal or non g-rated I can see, but a thread in a forum that is supposed to go anywhere?

Yes it is appropriate to question the moderators

I believe the oil price is related to the warm Nthn hemisphere winter, last year was much colder by now, although winter is coldest in Feb-Mar, oil is the substantive heat source, prices rose.
This year stocks were pre-emptively built over Nthn summer, they can be seen in the height of floating tank lids at refineries all over, and the winter has not been so demanding,
Oil companies reduced orders, prices fell. If there is more than a 2 week Nthn cold snap, the extra supply will vanish and prices sky rocket, due to having to guess how long the cold will last, and obtain delivery fast

I believe the oil price is related to the warm Nthn hemisphere winter, last year was much colder by now, although winter is coldest in Feb-Mar, oil is the substantive heat source, prices rose.
This year stocks were pre-emptively built over Nthn summer, they can be seen in the height of floating tank lids at refineries all over, and the winter has not been so demanding,
Oil companies reduced orders, prices fell. If there is more than a 2 week Nthn cold snap, the extra supply will vanish and prices sky rocket, due to having to guess how long the cold will last, and obtain delivery fast

Haven't you guys heard? The US and Saudis are conspiring to lower the oil price for the sole purpose of crippling Russia so that the people will throw Putin out :p

Haven't you guys heard? The US and Saudis are conspiring to lower the oil price for the sole purpose of crippling Russia so that the people will throw Putin out :p

Canada is one of the largest producers of oil.

What ever the reason, after last years high oil price , and fiercely cold winter...I'm happy.

I feel bad for the Russian people...but Putin brought it upon himself.
Their economy is going to hurt, but it will also have a ripple effect...so it will eventually affect all of us.

Back