old fibro

W

WebBoard

I was wondering if there is a high danger in the fibro of old homes. I am wishing to renovate a bathroom and am not sure if I have to call the asbestos professionals in the remove its walls?

Any ideas

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1.1

shy new user

Reply: 1.1.1

All asbestos material (fill, lagging or sheet) in, on, attached to or in any other way associated with houses must only be handled by a licensed professional. That is the law, and what happens in practise is something else.

Michael Croft

Reply: 1.1.1.1

And if they stuff it up, like what happened in Melbourne the other day with demolishing that factory, the contractors will be heavily fined for breaching these laws plus the possibility of losing their building certificates.

Cheers
Robert

Property Inspection Reports @
http://www.creativefinance.com.au

The Sydney "Freestylers" Group Leader.

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1

I'd get some builders in if I were you for some quotes. You've got to start somewhere. Asbestos in fibro by itself is not a concern. It's only when you want to remove it or break it that the dangers begin.
Cheers, Jacque :)

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1

A lot of money has been made out of the fear factor associated with the words 'fibro' and 'asbestos'. As the previous post mentioned - the asbestos component of fibro(Usually produced prior to approximately 1972) only becomes a concern when it is released ie broken, drilled, sawn or the like that releases the dust/fibres into the atmosphere.Proper handling and disposal methods as set down by the relevant states building authorities or work place health and safety organisations minimise this risk to the handler as well as to the owner / occupier. In my experience as a builder over the years, if the product is sealed(as is the case by painting, or older types of wet area sheeting in good repair)then this product is a very stable and resilient covering. In the past I have found that it is not always the case to have to remove the existing lining, but simply tile over or use one of the varied re finishing compounds/companies that are now available to upgrade. This can usually be done at a fraction of the cost.Good luck because there are usually quite a few options if you keep asking.

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1

I havent seen the problem in fibros, except when the have to break it or move it, or demolish a fibro house, had a fibro house removed, it cost me extra, and they all suited up like it was nuclear waste ! goodness me! Im afraid im confused on the whole thing and just err or the side of caution and I feel safe......:eek:)

TW
~Before you criticize people, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away. And you have their shoes~

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.2

I havent seen the problem in fibros, except when the have to break it or move it, or demolish a fibro house, had a fibro house removed, it cost me extra, and they all suited up like it was nuclear waste ! goodness me! Im afraid im confused on the whole thing and just err or the side of caution and I feel safe......:eek:)

TW
~Before you criticize people, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away. And you have their shoes~

Back