Old Friends Getting In Touch via FB or Other

I'm not a huge FB user and stumbled by accident over the 'Other' folder when I was looking for something else about 12 months ago. (The 'Other' folder is where messages go from non contacts in your list(s).

This is the message that was in there -
HI OLWYN, THIS IS A SHOT IN THE DARK BUT WERE YOU BORN IN CARDIFF AND MOVED TO OZ WHEN YOU WERE 11/12 ? I WENT TO JUNIOR SCHOOL WITH AN OLWYN AND WE WERE BEST FRIENDS AND HAVE NEVER FORGOTTEN HER.

Yes it was me so I answered back, and then her reply came back with lots of things she remembered from those days. Part of the reply was this -

"It broke my heart when you emigrated . You were my first BEST friend. You gave me all your Enid Blyton books. Secret Seven, Famous Five and The Faraway Tree Books. I spent the whole of the Summer Hols reading your books, they transported me ! I can never thank you enough for awakening the love of reading by giving me your books."

I teared up when I read this bit. I don't remember giving her those books, but I'm glad they had such an impact; I feel I've left my mark on the world. :)

Needless to say we've emailed each other a few times since and last month met up!!! She had 3 days in Sydney as part of a cruise her and her husband were on. We met at the wharf at Circular Quay, had a hug, linked arms, shared the umbrella in the drizzly weather then went to Manly and gasbagged all day! It took 50 years for us to re-connect and we only had a few hours together, but it was fantastic!

Just wondering has anyone else had something similar happen either via FB or elsewhere?

Attachments

• Me-Caroline-before-after.jpg
    Me-Caroline-before-after.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 149
That's great. I don't have a similar story, but I like the reading bit. It's great when somehow the reading thing gets turned on in a kid - it truly is a gift.

I love stories like this.

There was a great one on Australian Story early last year about a white girl who was born and raised in ?Zimbabwe I think, who was best friends with a black girl, until many of the whites were driven out when she was around 12 or so.

2 or 3 decades later after much searching for her friend, including returning to Africa and putting in exhaustive efforts to find her, found her here in Sydney (friends in Africa eventually tracked her down for her).

It was very touching and a similar story of memories between best friends.

If i find it I will post the link.

Lovely story.

I had no idea that folder existed and just went searching for it. Lo and behold I have 4 unread messages. Two from a couple of random strangers, 1 that about a group PT session and one from a few years ago that was an invite to my high school reunion that was held... whoops.

FB has given me the opportunity to get in touch again with a bunch of old friends from high school. It's a great and easy way to stay in touch with people that are difficult to stay in touch with.

Lovely story.

I had no idea that folder existed and just went searching for it. Lo and behold I have 4 unread messages. Two from a couple of random strangers, 1 that about a group PT session and one from a few years ago that was an invite to my high school reunion that was held... whoops.

Oh Dear! :D

When I first replied to her, FB says something like " This will go in the Other folder where messages for non contacts are stored. If you want this message to go in the FB Message folder it will cost you................and I can't remember the exact amount but it was about $6.00! $6.00 isn't a huge amount these days but to put a message in one folder or the other I thought was a bit excessive.

I love stories like this.

There was a great one on Australian Story early last year about a white girl who was born and raised in ?Zimbabwe I think, who was best friends with a black girl, until many of the whites were driven out when she was around 12 or so.

2 or 3 decades later after much searching for her friend, including returning to Africa and putting in exhaustive efforts to find her, found her here in Sydney (friends in Africa eventually tracked her down for her).

It was very touching and a similar story of memories between best friends.

If i find it I will post the link.

Hope you find the link - I'd like to read that.

Just another little snippet -
We were standing outside 2 restaurants in Manly trying to decide which one to have lunch in when a waitress from one of them asked if we'd like a table.

Caroline said, "Where are you from chick?" "Wales", she replied, to which Caroline said, "I know that love, I recognise the accent, but where in Wales - I'm from Cardiff". I jumped in at this point and said "I sound like an Aussie, but I'm from Cardiff too originally".

No prizes for guessing which restaurant we ate at - it was karma! The waitress took our photo. :D

Just checked my 'other' msgs folder - cannot believe some of the crap in there! Including random people with no mutual friends commenting on the 2 photos that are defaulted to public... er, no thanks. I don't want to be friends with you or start a convo on your opinions on how I look or my hobbies!

Not facebook related, but my dad recently reconnected with his brother who he hadnt seen in more than 45 years.

He moved to the US in his early twenties in the 1960's and dad hadn't seen him since. He moved back to Australia a few months ago. It was a big moment for my dad.

I'm yet to meet him, however I think there is quite a culture difference. Dad's taking it in small doses.

On a slightly unrelated note... My family had a big family reunion out at Horsham recently. My Uncle was chatting to a bartender at his local pub about weekend plans and he tells her he's got a family reunion on. She replied with what a coincidence as she has one on the weekend too. Turns out it was the same reunion and they're distantly related.

Small world.

I worked with a young girl whose mum had died when she was 3. Her Dad had a falling out with his wife's family, then with a new wife emigrated to Aust. When she was 16 she found one of her maternal cousins on Facebook, they'd been looking for her for years. They paid for her ticket back and she met two grandparents, one died while she was there & the other during her flight back. Was just fantastic she now knows about her mum and her family.

Hubby answered a call couple of months back saying on the offchance was that that "me" and yes it was! Old school friend had tracked me down thru fb. She is living in Qld but coming down for a holiday, so we met up and talked flat out all day. We are now trading emails. I tried to track down another school friend but even though I know her married name -no luck. Trouble is these days they could be divorced and even 'passed on'

Back