On the road to Beijing

I am not sure its its just bad timing or a tragic coincidence, but I am on the way to Beijing tonight.
Currently in transit at Singapore airport with four hours to kill with a free internet terminal ( that expires every 15 mins..)

I must say its a refreshing change to get out of Aus for a week and see the world from the other side of the fence.
'Wash the eyes' as they say in Asia.
Not sure what to expect after the terrible earthquake up there, but I am told its OK in Beijing.

We're on the road sourcing building materials to get our costs down in Aus.
I am excited at the opportunity to see what is going on up there on the ground and will try and update this post whenever I have a free moment.
Better go before this terminal logs out...

kp

good on ya!

i'm currently drawing up plans for a set of units that will come into Aus from China in a sea container. i think there's about a 35% saving over building it with local trades.

they're actually BUILT on the factory floor in China, then disassembled and sent to AUS in a sea container. when landed, these 5 little blokes run out of the sea container and assemble a full blown 3x2 with double garage and then catch the next flight home again.

what materials are you sourcing?

Hiya BC
I have heard about these container homes. Would be interested to see one once it is up. Whats their construction time and are they approved for urban areas ( as in local Perth suburbs)?

Were sourcing insulated panels first to replace the ones we are currently using, and then looking into other finishing products like granite tops and tiles, kitchens, aluminium extrusions, frames, etc.
We have a building certifier and an engineer with us to make sure it all complies fo Aus standards.

Well I got in late last night, and got throught the new airport without any problems.
Its a big contrast from Singapore but you would expect that.

Went for a stroll this morning looking for some breakfast and the biggest building that stood out..... was an old church.
There were blue skies looking up so its not as bad as I was told it would be. ( Haven't had an asthma attack since i was a kid, but was told to bring an inhaler anyway, and I'm still breathing)
Its a real contrast between the old and new here. Lots of new construction going on with the usual advertising billboards.
Channel surfing across the 60 channels, most with stories on the earthquake damage, but most of the pictures are of soldiers being mobilised.
One footage showed a construction crane coming off the top of a building and the aftermath of it landing on the street with cars crushed beneath.

Will update later as the week unwinds.

kp

looking into other finishing products like granite tops and tiles, kitchens, aluminium extrusions, frames, etc.

kp

KPH,

I went to the Guangzhou fair a few weeks ago looking for the same. I have a few contacts now that Im dealing with. Send me a pm when you get back if you like and we can compare notes.

I'm thinking about steamed dumplings. Enjoy your time in China.

{I hope the quake-affected regions are recovering and receiving swift support}

hi kph, they're an R6.0 insulated panel for a 75mm wall, but you can order in any thickness you want.

they comply with cyclone wind loadings for Karratha and such so i imagine they would be well up to the N1/N2 wind loading we have in Perth.

you really need to specify EXACTLY what is required otherwise if you just ask for "as cheap as possible" you get factory seconds, offcuts etc.

i'm not full bottle as yet but i have to design these things first before we get the details of how to fit and assemble them, only then will i be able to re-specify things to meet the relevant AS.

KPH,

I went to the Guangzhou fair a few weeks ago looking for the same. I have a few contacts now that Im dealing with. Send me a pm when you get back if you like and we can compare notes.

I thought the trade fair was on in June?
Must be a different one I guess.

Would be interested to compare notes once I get back and have more info on what we discover between now and next week.

We have an engineer with us and are trying to explain the tests we want to perform and witness before we are happy on the performance of the material.'
It just seems to be stressing and confusing everyone.

Not off to a good start.
kp

BC,
Reckon I need to catch up with you in Perth.
We're using 140mm external and 90mm internal for walls. R values are not as high as what you are suggesting.
We are already using them in a panel system so would be very interested to compare products.

kp

Hi,

This thread seemed the most appropriate at the moment for my question.

Just wondering what are the faster (cost effective) methods of building a simple 3br home.

Traditionally we have timber frame, brick veneer.

However I've seen compressed polystyreen (I think) which bolt onto a house frame, apparently delivery, fit and render is 5 days for average house.

So I'm wondering, is there a quick way to build the frame and insides?

I'm wondering what would be the fastest way to build a home with all the new building technology available nowadays.

Regards
Michael G

KP,

The fair is on twice a year, April and Oct I think plus there are other fairs happening at various times. Its helpful because you get to see a large number of companies under one roof although its still advisable to visit their factory to see for yourself. Its also advisable to travel back to inspect your first shipment as its very common for the product to change from the sample you saw in the first place.

Have placed some orders with a few different companies but still waiting for goods to arrive but these are not building products. We will be placing orders for the building materials in the coming weeks and Ill let you know how I go.

Im not living in Perth anymore but will be back for a visit in six weeks.

Hi,
I've been exporting stuff from China for a few years now, through my employer. I guess I would suggest some caution!!
I would never ask for as cheap as possible, because you will get absolute crap. It usually takes us around 12 months to find an external supplier who will provide a consistent quality. The sample may be good... but the next one will be cheap and nasty.
We have our own factory in China so that we have extra control over the manufacturing process, but they still have to buy in some parts - and even things like screws and nuts can have such varying quality that it can ruin the whole product. In our own factory, manufacturing generally becomes reliable around 12-18 months into a product's lifespan.
I sat next to a guy once on a trip to Beijing who had been sourcing windows there. When I asked him how it was going, he rolled his eyes, and said that he had been very specific in his requirements for the job - type of aluminium, glass etc. when they'd arrived, they were nothing like what he had asked for. They didn't use safety glass, so many of them had smashed on the way, and the aluminium was poor quality. When he questioned them, they said "we wanted to be able to get you a better price".
So, be aware that the quality of the sample may not be the quality of the final product, and that you may not get good quality for quite some time!
We are moving some of our production to Vietnam, where costs are lower, they are able to cope with manufacturing smaller quantities, and they seem to have more reliable processes...... but only time will tell!
On the plus side, I have found our factory extremely easy to deal with, in relation to replacing faulty products, and in product improvements. They are very flexible to make changes to products to improve their quality/ usefulness. But this may well be the flipside to the problems with quality - they change their processes way too quickly and easily!
Pen

Well we left Beijing after the first day and travelled to Shanghai instead.
I am travelling with a building surveyor and an engineer and we soon realised we were not going to get the result we were after with the supplier in the first factory.

They had come up from Shanghai where they had already met with some suppliers and had seen some products that were more in line with what we are trying to source.

I have been involved with importing from Asia ( including China) many years ago and am well aware of the pitfalls and problems you can encounter.

We are after products that comply with our and Aus. standards, hence the reason why the surveyor and engineer are here. ( Not sure I suggested cheap or cheapest was our aim?)

Anyway, Shanghai seems a better destination than Beijing to me.
They are both massive cities ( hard to imagine this is still a communist country), with a fleet of new vehicles, people are polite and friendly and always helpful.

Lots of achitects on happy pills seem to have been let loose up here with the buildings on the skyline. They all seem to be trying to outdo each other with the unbelievable shapes and scale of the construction.

I agree that the next labour centres will be elsewhere such as Vietnam but I reckon the factories will still be Chinese owned.

kp

Hi,

Just wondering what are the faster (cost effective) methods of building a simple 3br home.

Traditionally we have timber frame, brick veneer.

However I've seen compressed polystyreen (I think) which bolt onto a house frame, apparently delivery, fit and render is 5 days for average house.

So I'm wondering, is there a quick way to build the frame and insides?

I'm wondering what would be the fastest way to build a home with all the new building technology available nowadays.

Regards
Michael G

If you are just after speed, then there is a product which folds out like mechano, and can be put together in 2 to 5 days. BUT.......
Not sure if it will comply with local council requirements, and you need to think in terms of whether the wiring/plumbing etc will comply or be able to be certified by your local sparky/plumber before you hool it up to services.

We are aware of a Qld supplier sending transportables to WA and having trouble getting the electrical installation certified as all states have seperate regs. If we have trouble between the states, what hope would you have with an overseas supplier ? Anyway, its all fixable as long as you are aware of the pitfalls up front.

We have seen the product and are going back tomorrow for a second look. It is already being exported to Aus.

So I guess it depends on where you want to build this 3 brm house... in the burbs or on a bush block.

Personally, I reckon you will see more and more of these types of products coming into and being accepted in teh market, as they will be required to address the affordability problems which are not going to go away.

kp

Hi,
I've been exporting stuff from China for a few years now, through my employer. I guess I would suggest some caution!!

Hi Pennyk,
I am interested in bringing pre-fab house or granny-flat from china for my IP-to be put in the backyard apart form existing house in front. Could I possibly have contact numbers from you?

Hi,

Hi Pennyk,
I am interested in bringing pre-fab house or granny-flat from china for my IP-to be put in the backyard apart form existing house in front. Could I possibly have contact numbers from you?

I dont really have any contacts in that line of business.... mine are for medical equipment and "parts",
sorry

Hi,

Hi Pennyk,

u seem chinese - just go to alibaba and look up. 1000s appear. besides. it's not that simple - all need to comply with AS standards.

Not sure if it's worth/practical bringing prefabs to oz

Thank you Melbournian, yes, I am looking at alibaba now. I am sure it would be difficult, but wondering if it would be worth or practical to overcome difficulties to meet up those AS standars? Anybody here in this forum ever broght pre-fab houses or granny flats into australia?

u seem chinese - just go to alibaba and look up. 1000s appear. besides. it's not that simple - all need to comply with AS standards.

they're actually BUILT on the factory floor in China, then disassembled and sent to AUS in a sea container. when landed, these 5 little blokes run out of the sea container and assemble a full blown 3x2 with double garage and then catch the next flight home again.

Sounds like what the Germans do with the Huf Haus. They ship their own team over - work flat out for 6 days - then leave the fully assembled house and go home. Doesn't include final fit tho - that takes another 3 weeks by another German team.

Poetry to watch and unfortunately only in Europe.

Thank you Melbournian, yes, I am looking at alibaba now. I am sure it would be difficult, but wondering if it would be worth or practical to overcome difficulties to meet up those AS standars? Anybody here in this forum ever broght pre-fab houses or granny flats into australia?

yup.. you have to find companies who do it. do the tests yourself or get an architect who isto the field.

i personally am attempting a prefab house all the way from china to be installed here.

The thing is majority of things are made in china exported here. There is an apartment block in carlton where the windows etc were all done in china and slashed the cost by 70% . Furniture (high end ones) are producted in shanghai like _ _ _ _ Furniture charged like 500% more when it gets landed here. So are many other brnads. your toilets suites just rebadged etc.

I see all the architects like the high end designers buying high end stuff here as they're just one best and highest price. yeah right - end of the day its comes down to the buck.

Back