One for the brokers...

Hi guys,

I'm about to buy another investment property (yea its a studio again :p). I"m buying a 27sqm unit. I've got 20% financed by equity and I can get a loan through commbank (I'm on the professional package) with no fees for 7.27% variable or 7.2% fixed.

I'm aware that not many lenders will finance small studios just curious to get a brokers opinion, is it possible to get a cheaper loan for a studio financed at 80% LVR?

My research says not but then again I have access to limited resources compared to brokers (i.e. infochoice.com.au, cannex.com.au) :)

Any comments from brokers would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

- Tim

Tim

Not a technical answer, sorry.

But does a 27sqm unit have growth potential?

And even if it does (for purchase), could the small size limit you from drawing against any equity later on?

I would be assuming that it's purely a cashflow investment- is it?

Tim

Not a technical answer, sorry.

But does a 27sqm unit have growth potential?

And even if it does (for purchase), could the small size limit you from drawing against any equity later on?

I would be assuming that it's purely a cashflow investment- is it?

Hi Geoff,

Good question :) I'll try and respond.

I'm buying it because I know the area pretty well, and from my research its well below market value. I'm getting it for $142500K one sold in the building according to rpdata for $158K last year.

Granted growth is fairly limited but I modelled it using PIAPro and if I get at least 5% annual growth (which units in the building have previously shown) IRR is 17.59%.

So in summary two big reasons I"m buying are its a good yield (I want to travel so I don't want to be locked into a huge negatively geared investment) + by my estimates its 10% below current market value.

Cheers

Tim

Its currently rented for $200 a week (my estimate I can relet for $220 when lease expires) $500p.q. strata...

So assuming 10% vacancy I"m out of the pocket $70 a week which isn't too bad.

hi

im also interested in the answer..

to my understanding, lenders dont like
-studio's
-small property close to sydney cbd

hear its because of oversupply of units in cbd
but what if its a good buy or has good yield..

ta

Hi all,

Sonic,

Just on Geoff's point. You have a property that has just lost 9.8% of its value in a year, and you expect it to go up by 5% pa, and to get this 5% pa you are prepared to lose 2.5% in 'costs' (providing rent is 10% higher than current)??

To me there seems to be a little discrepancy between reality and expectations.

bye

Reactions: Les
Hi Tim,

I'd suggest that you'll have a lot of trouble getting any better finance than what you've already been offered. Most lenders simply won't look at anything under about 40-50 sqm.

Hi all,

Sonic,

Just on Geoff's point. You have a property that has just lost 9.8% of its value in a year, and you expect it to go up by 5% pa, and to get this 5% pa you are prepared to lose 2.5% in 'costs' (providing rent is 10% higher than current)??

To me there seems to be a little discrepancy between reality and expectations.

bye

Hi I'm glad I raised this post, as its always good to get an alternative view to 2nd guess my investment decisions. Also the posters on this forum are way more experienced in investing than me so I'll obviously always listen to everyones opinions seriously.

My personal reason for investing in studios is because its a good entry point into the Sydney market for me (I'm reluctant purchasing outside Sydney as I can't realistically check the place out). My strategy is to look at heaps of units and only make a purchase if its below market value.

My research shows that the price I'm going to buy it is 9.8% below market i.e. the last sold value of $158K is fair market value as it:

1) sold very quickly
2) 2 units sold in the building for $165K a bit more slowly.

THe reason I'm getting this one cheap is because its been on the market for ages and I've been haggling with the agent lowballing for the past 2 weeks and the vendor is now seriously considering my offers. Online its marked as a sale price of $170K and I'm sure if it were advertised for $150K online it would be sold immediately.

I understand most peoples reluctance on studios / small 1 bedrooms because of financing and resale issues. However both my first 2 properties (1 studio and 1 small 1 bedroom unit 34sqm and 38sqm respectively) are in Potts Point and if do a search on domain u can see that its a high density area unlike most other suburbs and there is actually quite a large range of studios for sale all thetime. On average 1-2 sell a week comparable to 1 bedroom units (check the newspaper) so I think the resale arguement doesn't hold for that suburb.

In addition I"m pretty happy with my first 2 purchases I bought the studio last year for $115K and it recently got revalued by the bank to $200K. I'm waiting for a few months for the 1 bedroom to get revalued (i bought it less than 6 months ago) but I got it for $158K and ones in theb uildilng previously sold for $180K and $185K.

However I am reconsidering now not buying this deal now because I've I'm slightly concerned being overweight in Potts Point.

Even though the yield is good it really is an investment unit and will have limited growth and Geoff raises a good point regarding redrawing future equity (Colonial will fund up to 80% but I guess they can always change their policy).

Also in regard to Bill's comment as rental being optimistic 10% above market, I follow the suburbs rent's quite a bit. My estimate could be wrong of course but I'm always on the conservative side when modelling units in the buildling have rented for $220-$240 I"m modelling on $220.

The current rental of $200 is definitely below market.

Thoughts/comments appreciated.

CBA and STG will both generally do them at 80 % LVR max.

The general rate you have is ok, though you will find that STG will do marginally better, but whats the point on chasing a couple of points.

If you dont need Offset, You could look at a CBA Rate Saver 7.09 variable for 3 years, then rolling to 7.31 IO after that.

CBA............ I bid you well :)

ta
rolf

Tim
I found with cba then if you dont tell them they dont ask. If its inner city they ask (i.e. postcode 4000) as their mortgage insurers dont cover inner city (or they didnt at the time anyway) but if its outside then usually they'll take contract price as the valuation.

6 out of 10 deals no major challenge

1 out of a few challenges like late docs etc

1 out of 10 a few more challenges

2 out of 10, diabolical cyanide material...........I can write a book of funny but very painful stories. After a while the pain becomes amusing.

ta
rolf

Hi Rolf,

Would St George or CBA lend 80% on a bedsit/studio/student accomodation in Carlton (Vic) postcode 3053.

The besits are about 7m by 3m = 21 metres square - 8 storeys high with about 9 bedsits on each floor.

Cheers

Back