One for the IT gurus...

How can I set up internet in a uni house where I supply the phone ports and they log on under individual user names and access codes (like separate accounts) and pay for their own individual internet usage?

Apparently someone is already doing this in the area I am buying into. The students seem to have their own account and top it up when they need to therefore, I dont have to pay for this.

I have spoken to about 6 ppl today and am even more confused than I was when I started. I want it set up somehow so it is potentially not depndant on a phone line as I cannot ban REVERSE calls and could therefore be liable for national, international and mobile calls. eek :eek:

im not sure, it would involve a LAN with a different logon for each person, this could then be controlled by a PC on-site (a server) which would record the usage.

How many users? May just be a case of getting a ADSL 2+ connection (a top one) and charging a set rate per person? Eg: $40/month each for 6 people and it costs you $150/month? Extra to cover hardware and install + provision?

There is no need to provide separate acccounts. Provide a single account they share.

I provide an internet connection in a student house. It involves a cable connection which is shared using an 8 port router. I've cabled LAN connections to everyones room.

When/if they collectively hit the download limit, the connection slows down to about dialup speed for everyone, so there is no excess usage charges for me.

Im a Systems Engineer :)

Sounds like youre after a kiosk type setup. eg Broadband installed for the house, however can only be used with authorisation. Similar to what you see at airports etc.

Im sure there is kiosk type software which acts as a proxy (think of a proxy as a gateway from the house to the internet). The proxy determines who has access etc and monitors usage etc.

I would contact your local IT Service provider as it would be much more efficient for them to set it up for you unless you have the knowhow.

edit: forgot to add, happy to answer any other questions if needed.

Back