One for the landlord?

Had a pm ring me Friday to say tenants had requested re-lease papers be drawn up but despite repeated requests from pm (I suspect they didnt follow up) the tenants had never signed. RE charged me and I paid the $80 releasing fee now 6mths later they want to charge the tenant the $80 to reimburse me. I had never heard of this but she assured me it was lawful as the tenant had requested the new lease. I initially said yes, but have now reconsidered as its now winter and I want to wait until Dec as you get better rent in Jan

In NSW the LL cannot charge the tenants for the lease preparation costs.

Is it any different in Victoria? Is it different where the tenants request the document?

Same in Vic, Section 51.

Does the tenant not wish to sign a lease now? It doesn't have to be for 12 months, you could do 8 months to expire in January.

The PM should not charge you, I understand there is work involved in negotiating and drawing up a new agreement, but it shouldn't be charged until the lease is in place.

Supposedly the tenant requested the new lease but never signed it. I know you cant force a tenant to sign a new lease after the first one expires. I think there was a stuff up at the re office and perhaps I should just ask for my $80back until they sign a new lease

bottom line you should only have been charged once the leases were signed so I would be requesting the money back from the agent as you have paid for something that has not happened

Back