one room down 10 to go

Hello
I have not posted for quite a while because I have been renovating, and after spending 8 hours working for someone else and then another 8 hours working for yourself, the last thing I want to do is get on the computer. Anyway I will attach the before and after (not quite finished) photos of the formal entry. Next is the 60 sqm games room. I ran into a bit of luck which is unusual for me. A bloke at work is demolishing his house , so I got about 50 sqm of 50 year old floor boards, about 70 linear meters of jarah joists, and a 40 meter picket fence with driveway gates (2 meters high), all for nothing (except a couple of weekends of back breaking work).
I have found my biggest time waster to be using, then loosing, then spending 2 hours finding tools (I would not be a good surgeon). So far my best decision is to use liquid sandstone on anything that stays still for more than 3 seconds. I am yet to use tile paint, however I have heard its pretty good. Im sure it will make a big difference to the brown tiles I currently have.
Another tip that works, is dress up 90mm storm water piping for curtain rods, makes them look like thick expensive timber, and costs bugger all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Hi Adam,

Good to see you again, what suburb is your reno in?

Love the tip on the curtain rods!

Regards,

Duncan.

Reply: 1.1

Hi Duncan
Its in Skye, Its a pretty big job. Should mention something about being thrown in the deep end with this one. The games room is the size of a small house, and Im going to need to refinance just to pay for the paint. I will take time out to see Michael Croft when he comes to Adelaide. I think it will pay for itself. Might see you there. regards Adam
Also here is the before shot of the renovation I left out of the last one

Reply: 1.1.1

> Michael Croft when he comes to Adelaide. I think it will pay for itself.
Might see you there

With bells on.

Regards,

Duncan.

Reply: 2

Hi Adam

Sounds like a great reno project...one question, what is liquid sandstone? Is it like cement render? What is its cost and durability characteristics?

Cheers
N.

ps. You make your own luck!

Reply: 2.1

Hi Adam,
Congrats on the progress made so far.

I'm planning to do a reno later this year. I know you're very busy, but I would really appreciate any tips/advice you can think of.
I second the question re the liquid sandstone. What is it best used for?

Gail

Reply: 2.1.1

Hello
go to this link to find out more, my experience with the liquid sandstone has been good, I will be putting it to the test when I cover my slate with it.
You will notice (in the pictures I have posted)the lions head and the breather covers have been painted with sandstone. Those breather covers cost me $2.50, yet they really look good. I will enclose some other photos as well.

Back