online merchant accounts

Can anyone recommend an online merchant account that allows online stores to accept visa and master card payments?

I've read a few horror stories about Paypal on http://www.paypalwarning.com/ and have heard there's a lot of private places that offer similar services such as worldpay and eway.

I thought i'd ask here as there seems to be a lot of IT savvy people on this board.

I have always used Paypal as a buyer,and a seller.
I even let some of my customers pay accounts via paypal.
I've had no problems over the years.

You are right,I am aware of the horror stories,but there must be millions of transactions every day.

eWay is just a gateway - the merchant facility is with a bank. I was originally recommended to use NAB or St.George - I use eWay/NAB for the two merchant facilities I run.

eWay have a list of banks they support and instructions on how to deal with them. Some require more than others when setting up.

Expect to pay $350pa plus 50c per transaction (less for high volumes) for eWay and then 1.x% merchant fee with a $29 per month minimum for NAB (ie if you your 1.x% merchant fee is less than $29, NAB will charge you $29 for the month).

Thanks guys.

Sim i will look into eWay but i understand that you must first apply for an internet merchant account with one of the main banks (NAB in your case) and once it's approved then you can open an eWay account and start accepting credit card payments? Thanks for the figures.

Pa1nter, yes good point about the horror stories probably being a very small percentage of the huge amount of transactions they do daily. I've only ever used Paypal with ebay but would like an alternative option for customers to pay using their credit card through an e-commerce site.

Sim i will look into eWay but i understand that you must first apply for an internet merchant account with one of the main banks (NAB in your case) and once it's approved then you can open an eWay account and start accepting credit card payments?

If you decide to use eWay, start with them, they'll guide you through the process of applying for the bank merchant facility and make it easier ... the bank will want to know what gateway you will be using anyway ... eWay makes it easy to manage all that. You won't have to pay eWay until you are approved by the bank.

Back