Only buying blocks that can be subdivided?

Mixed feelings here.

We did buy one that was subdividable (double frontage, house on one side) and in fact the subdivision was already approved and the fence built. This had the effect of "stopping the clock" on completing the subdivision, because work on completing had commenced. It also locked in certain levies at the date of the subdivision approval, saving us $10K. The owners just never got around to completing it. - too busy spending their money on the PPOR. We got it for the value of the PPOR only.

Still, there was an opportunity cost. We spent $25K to complete, which was tied up for as year, and in the meantime we could have used that to buy another IP. I am glad we did it because it was relatively easy money, but of course we had holding costs.

On the flip side, we have 3 <600sqm blocks with rentals, and I like those too. By buying small blocks mostly covered by the house with just a manageable garden, we have lower maintenance rentals and we aren't paying a premium on something tenants won't pay extra for.

Since we're buy-and-holders, capital gain is only really of interest to us (a) as a hedge on our position and (b) to the extent that it relates to rent increases over time. That's not to say we don't look for capital gain, but it's a hedging tool and a leading indicator of increasing rental yield, and not an end goal.

Also, the gains don't seem to be exponential according to land size here anyway. It's not like the price gap between 600sqm and 1000sqm is widening. It's there, but the gains are like parallel lines on an upward trajectory. Since in our part of the world, a 3 bedroom is a 3 bedroom for rental purposes, that means we can pay a premium for extra land that isn't income producing, or put it towards another income producing house.

That's not to say we wouldn't subdivide again. It was a profitable experience. But we aren't actively looking for them. (I have, however, noted that our new PPOR would lend itself nicely to a battleaxe block).

I do, however, keep a close eye on granny flat potential. Again, this relates to the buy and hold thing. I suspect you'll usually only break even on a granny flat in capital gains terms, but the increase in yield is huge.

Mixed feelings here.

We did buy one that was subdividable (double frontage, house on one side) and in fact the subdivision was already approved and the fence built. This had the effect of "stopping the clock" on completing the subdivision, because work on completing had commenced. It also locked in certain levies at the date of the subdivision approval, saving us $10K. The owners just never got around to completing it. - too busy spending their money on the PPOR. We got it for the value of the PPOR only.

Still, there was an opportunity cost. We spent $25K to complete, which was tied up for as year, and in the meantime we could have used that to buy another IP. I am glad we did it because it was relatively easy money, but of course we had holding costs.

On the flip side, we have 3 <600sqm blocks with rentals, and I like those too. By buying small blocks mostly covered by the house with just a manageable garden, we have lower maintenance rentals and we aren't paying a premium on something tenants won't pay extra for.

Since we're buy-and-holders, capital gain is only really of interest to us (a) as a hedge on our position and (b) to the extent that it relates to rent increases over time. That's not to say we don't look for capital gain, but it's a hedging tool and a leading indicator of increasing rental yield, and not an end goal.

Also, the gains don't seem to be exponential according to land size here anyway. It's not like the price gap between 600sqm and 1000sqm is widening. It's there, but the gains are like parallel lines on an upward trajectory. Since in our part of the world, a 3 bedroom is a 3 bedroom for rental purposes, that means we can pay a premium for extra land that isn't income producing, or put it towards another income producing house.

That's not to say we wouldn't subdivide again. It was a profitable experience. But we aren't actively looking for them. (I have, however, noted that our new PPOR would lend itself nicely to a battleaxe block).

I do, however, keep a close eye on granny flat potential. Again, this relates to the buy and hold thing. I suspect you'll usually only break even on a granny flat in capital gains terms, but the increase in yield is huge.

This is what attracted me to my latest IP. It is a big corner block that can be subdivided plus it has a seperately metered granny flat. As it sits now including all costs,reno and 5 year fixed it is cashflow neutral. If i stayed full variable she would be making good money. All this with the potential to build on the back. I am looking for another one but they dont show up often.

This is actually my conundrum now. Total cost to sub my block including demo of existing shed is around $43,000. Sure thats a cheap block of cbd land but it will be just under 400 sqm. A bit further out from the cbd you can get 650 sqm blocks for just over $100,000. Add into the equation i will have to build a fence to seperate new block,a new garage at $14,000 and maybe some basic landscaping and the scope for profit will reduce. Sure the land will be worth more once our slump passes but maybe i would be better buying elswhere and come back to this idea when land value rise.:confused:. Anyway back to crunching numbers for me.

Yeah the decision can be hard can't it . If it has anything else on it that will carry it anyway so that you can forget it for a few years which is how I set mine up , laughing ! Closer to CBD and 1/2 the price of outer - it's gonna be a nice one one day.
I've got 3 extras now, with nothing on them but they're all easily carried by their other sections so one day I'll get back to them .

Cheers

Heh, the last developable block for sale out here sold. There's *nothing* for sale now that you could do anything interesting with anymore - just the fancy schmancy expensive brand new houses on tiny wee blocks.

Pah. Putting a dampener on my plotting and scheming plans :rolleyes:

The majority of ours are subdividable. We also have the problem of making decisions.

We have over an acre with 2 x 4 bedders on 2 titles which gives us quite a few options, townhouses, duplexes or houses?

Another has a DA and we have fenced off the block, deciding if we should build a duplex or house.

We also have a large corner block with a 4x1. We can add on and turn the existing into a duplex, or subdivide and build a duplex and keep the existing house.

All have been waiting for a few years and doing their thing whilst we play the decision game. Maybe a bit more CG and relaxed credit will get us to make a decision.;)

Sunshine

The majority of ours are subdividable. We also have the problem of making decisions.

We have over an acre with 2 x 4 bedders on 2 titles which gives us quite a few options, townhouses, duplexes or houses?

Another has a DA and we have fenced off the block, deciding if we should build a duplex or house.

We also have a large corner block with a 4x1. We can add on and turn the existing into a duplex, or subdivide and build a duplex and keep the existing house.

All have been waiting for a few years and doing their thing whilst we play the decision game. Maybe a bit more CG and relaxed credit will get us to make a decision.;)

Sunshine

Yeah !!! This is what I'm talkin about .

It's funny isn't it. Sounds like your spares have double the options of two of mine and they've been tough enough. There's about 4 ways I could go with both of them so they just keep ending up in the decisions too hard right now basket, I don't feel like it, I'll get back to them.
But eh, great problem to have isn't it.

Cheers

Great thread... I am looking to buy a subdivisible block for the next IP. Our existing IPs are CF neutral and should tick over to being CF+ in the next few years, so we are happy to take on a small subdivision project as a way of getting into development. I have crunched the numbers re: the holding costs and opportunity costs, and the experience would be invaluable...

Only problem is, how do people start looking for subdivisible blocks when there aren't any available locally? I live in Sydney and in my local area there are either no subdivisible blocks or they cost > $500k+. We don't have that kind of money to play with, we just want to do a small project... we have around $300k to spend on the original block.

My preference lies for doing a subdivision project that's at most 1.5 hrs drive from Sydney as I can imagine that doing an interstate subdivision project would be considerably more difficult than one where you can get to the site...

would be interested to hear people's thoughts... how did you come across your development site?

There's an article in the July issue of the API magazine about sub-division in the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne.

I think they paid just over $330K for the property.

I'm still looking for something for me to buy, but I agree, they are hard to find and the price is often inflated.

I have also looked at propertes with granny flats, but often councils have the right to give a demolishion order if permits are not approved.

Have to be careful and find the right property!

Back