Open for inspection, how much is too much?

Hi,

I'm living in a rental atm which the vendor is selling and the Re is going nuts with open houses, hastling us about gardening, complaining we are home at the inspections etc etc......

I'm not sure what they are entitled to but it seems they are taking it too far.

Hi,

I'm living in a rental atm which the vendor is selling and the Re is going nuts with open houses, hastling us about gardening, complaining we are home at the inspections etc etc......

I'm not sure what they are entitled to but it seems they are taking it too far.

My LL has just put my place up for sale and there's been a lot of interest (apparently?). They did inspections Sunday, they're doing another tomorrow night (which means i'm not going home after work) and another this Saturday and next Saturday.

Doesn't really bother me, it's life, you rent, people inspect. As a tenant you're meant to keep the place up to scratch - sometimes this means the gardens, check your agreement with the LL. Although i'd be angry if every week the REA was asking me to mow my lawn or trim the bushes. Just keep it neat, tidy and presentable and the rest tell the REA to stuff it :p

How many opens do you consider "going nuts"?

I'd say one a week is sufficient. And 24hrs notice if someone wants to see it outside the open but I'd only do that if convenient to me.

I'd say something if he is hassling you about gardens etc.

Thanks guys,

It's all the calls and the nagging and the winging lol... They want to inspect every week, fair enough. It sucks but what can I do beside buy the place... The gardens were practially dead when we moved in, as were the laws and they kicked up a stink about it all still being dead. The excuse was "well that was in summer when you moved in, its now colder wether and everything should be fine".... I feel like thats really not my problem, I wasnt moved in as a full time gardner. The gardens are no worse now that when I moved in, if anything they are better... The house went on the market not even a week ago and they have been here 4 times and will be back tomorrow and saturday.

Well, hopefully not.... There is still three months left on the lease and if I do not buy the place Im hoping an investor who is willing to re-sign does.

G'Day jus

I rented a place once which had a real Tyrant for a Property Manager

As soon as I became a Landlord, I immediately called her up and gave her the listing!

I would want a Property Manager to 'keep the tenants on their toes' so while you may be feeling put upon now (and so would I!), if you do buy the place and later rent it, you may find that you want a PM who is a stickler for presentation

What's the old saying?

No one is your Enemy, and No one is your Friend, but each One is your Teacher.

Whether you consider that you are being fairly treated or not, as a property investor each experience is a learning curve

Good luck, and why not buy the place and put yourself out of your misery!

Cheers
Kristine

If you read the tenancy act backwards and forwards, as all tenants and landlords should, you will find that you have just as much right to the "quiet enjoyment" of the property as the LL has to waltz in every 24 hours. So it comes down to what's "reasonable" and if a tribunal has defined this I haven't been able to find it.

The property we are renting went on the market with a different agency to the the PM agency and the REA was extremely rude, aggressive and downright nasty. We said that she could show the property once a week, which is "reasonable" to me. She said that she would come in when she damn well wanted to. She got obstructed with a 1 ton piano between her and the entrance.

After that month long antagonism the LL decided to change back to the PM's agency where they have polite agents who are into cooperation rather than aggression. It's now shown once a week at a set time and we are happy to keep the place looking nice.

Firmly but politely tell them what you think is reasonable and stick to it.

Personally, as a previous owner, I wouldn't dream of selling a property which is tenanted.

Thanks guys,

The house went on the market not even a week ago and they have been here 4 times and will be back tomorrow and saturday.

Six times in a week is too much.
when we were selling a tenanted unit we had one open home on the weekends, and 1-2 inspections at other times with 24 hrs notice of the appointment.

Pen

Back