open for inspections

One of my staff is looking for a new rental and got this response to a enquiry this morning.

Anyone have an issue with your agency doing this?

PS, i will never hand keys out to a prospective tenant.

Hi there !

Thank you for your enquiry.

This property is currently vacant. To view the property you may come to our office with government issued photo identification eg. Drivers license, Passport or 18+ card and we can issue you the keys for 1 hour.

Keys are available for collection between 8.30am and 4.00pm weekdays or between 8.30am and 3.00pm Saturdays, best to phone the office prior to ensure they are here.

Our office is located in the Stafford City Shopping Centre ### Stafford Road Stafford, near the movie cinemas and food court.

Happy house hunting !

It really disappoints me when agencies are lazy. We're currently house hunting as well, and to say I'm underwhelmed with the service I've received is an understatement.

Could you imagine if someone took the keys and got them cut?! Costs $2.50 at bunnings!

This was standard practice 20 odd years ago when I rented.

"I'd like to view 45 smith st, I see it's vacant. Here's my licence and fifty bucks see you in an hour" - the receptionist wouldn't have blinked. The response at most agencies would be very different now.

Could you imagine if someone took the keys and got them cut?! Costs $2.50 at bunnings!

The incidence of someone cutting keys and going back once tenanted to rob it would very very small. But obviously a risk agents don't take these days.

The incidence of someone taking the keys and vandalising the property would also be very very small. They'd easily be busted when the next potential tenant got keys and returned them wondering why there were holes in the walls and "LLs suck" written on the wall.

Unless you get doors re-keyed between tenants can you imagine the amount of keys floating around for any given property. A set cut for your lover, a set cut and given to a friend in case of loss and a set cut and hidden under the flower pot etc.

Yes I think its somewhat lazy, but I don't see it as being a massive deal. I agree with Ed's comments about the chances of something bad happening being very very low.

At the end of the day, if it meant that my PM agency was responding very quickly to all expressions of interest and otherwise doing their job well - then I wouldn't care that much.

This was standard practice 20 odd years ago when I rented.

"I'd like to view 45 smith st, I see it's vacant. Here's my licence and fifty bucks see you in an hour" - the receptionist wouldn't have blinked. The response at most agencies would be very different now.

This was the process when I first rented, and that was only just over a decade ago. Small city though.

Oh, I know the chances are very slim, but it's still a risk.

I think if you're paying an agent for a service, that includes taking prospective tenants through the propriety as soon as possible.

A personal touch I think is important, and sometimes that could get someone over the line.

Back