Opinion on actions to be taken?

The latest property report just came with this:
Exterior:

- Back step broken
- Fence rail section rotted
- Exterior painting tired

Tenant smells gas outside near front verandah coming from the vents under the front verandah, nb neighbours either side have had lines to house replaced in recent times

My thinking is

- Back step need immediate repair as it's safety hazard
- Fence rail section... not sure, to be replaced? how much will it cost in general?
- Exterior painting - not important, unless cheap to do.
-Smell of Gas - what am I suppose to do? :confused:

exterior.jpg

All those jobs could be done, shouldn't cost a lot, and the broken step and gas needs doing ASAP.

Fence rail should be cheap and easy, and I'd be calling whoever charges the house for the gas supplied to come out and check for leaks.

Is this a house you already own and rent out?

And, I just notice the inspection report also mentioned that the tenant has...

One outside dog.

This was not there 6 months ago. I have never been notified, nor agree to it.
GRR

What's the best step for this?
- Increase rent
- Boot tenant...

Still trying to catch up with PM

I will need to enquire whether the damage on the back step was related to the dog (depend on the size).

And, I just notice the inspection report also mentioned that the tenant has...

One outside dog.

This was not there 6 months ago. I have never been notified, nor agree to it.
GRR

What's the best step for this?
- Increase rent
- Boot tenant...

Still trying to catch up with PM

I will need to enquire whether the damage on the back step was related to the dog (depend on the size).

Really? :eek:

The step that is cracked is concrete. How big would the dog have to be to smash a concrete step? I don't think the dog ate the rail on the fence or caused the paint to flake on the soffit.

There is an outside dog... is it really that big a deal? ;)

If you fix the problems, that tenant might stick about for longer than if he didn't have a dog.

Lol, just hoping it's not the size of tibetan mastiff. Need to clarify how the concrete thing broke - wasn't mentioned 6 months ago (so likely PM missed it)

My issue is more that I have not been notified regarding the pet. They just get it and it's there -_-

So far the property seems well maintained, but depends on how long they have the dog and how good they're in taking care of it, it can be an issue down the line.

Will talk to PM and see what she said. My guess will be "you can boot tenant out, but vacancy is high in Rutherford" then silent, as usual

See if you can get your tenant to crawl under the house with his dog and a box of matches to seek out that gas leak lol. Second thoughts better not try that even though it could solve a lot of problems.

How could concrete step get damaged so quickly? I reckon the tenant did the damage. Probably tried to smash something open and placed it on the step eg a small safe. Jack the rent up.

Last edited:
See if you can get your tenant to crawl under the house with his dog and a box of matches to seek out that gas leak lol. Second thoughts better not try that even though it could solve a lot of problems.

I don't think my insurance will pay for this, so... probably not...

How could concrete step get damaged so quickly? I reckon the tenant did the damage. Probably tried to smash something open and placed it on the step eg a small safe.

That's my thought too, unless the PM did missed a crack or two

Jack the rent up.
Enough to keep them there, or enough to boot them out? :p
I do think if they can afford a dog, they should be able to afford paying water rates and rent on time, and probably some increase.

Enough to teach tenant a lesson on how to respect other peoples property. Your call really, how mad are you?

...How could concrete step get damaged so quickly? I reckon the tenant did the damage. Probably tried to smash something open and placed it on the step eg a small safe. Jack the rent up.

+1

How do you break concrete? Obviously with some effort !

How could concrete step get damaged so quickly? I reckon the tenant did the damage. Probably tried to smash something open and placed it on the step eg a small safe. Jack the rent up.
Seeing as I just moved into my own new rental, and the managing agent:
a) wrote down the incorrect bond amount on the bond form
b) gave us the old tenants inspection report from 3 years ago with their names on it and 'fresh paint' on everything (which evidently was not the case)
c) gave us an extra key that doesn't open anything yet hasn't supplied any keys for the 12 window locks or the balcony door...
I am more inclined to think that the damage on the back verandah was simply overlooked.

@fokas - yep, I haven't rule the agent out - I have been managed by bad ones before, so get what you mean. directly asked if they have missed this and see how it turns out.

Thinking of raising rent by $15, which is about on par with other similar property (though they seem to have newer internal).

Do I need to notify my insurance company?

Ok, another quick update.

The dog is a big dog, PM said it looks like a Rottweiler
The tenant said it's temporary - tenant's mum is in the process of moving house and the dog will move with the mum once she found a house. No damage to the garden or house so far.

Nevertheless, tenant has not got any consent for the dog and I'm wary on how this can affect Landlord Insurance claim should damage happen.

Do I need to formally inform my LL insurance? It's with EBM

I've never had to tell our insurer if there was a dog on the premises.

I'd ask them to sign an addendum to the lease and give them a copy, saying they will remedy any damage the dog does.

Seeing as I just moved into my own new rental, and the managing agent:
a) wrote down the incorrect bond amount on the bond form
b) gave us the old tenants inspection report from 3 years ago with their names on it and 'fresh paint' on everything (which evidently was not the case)
c) gave us an extra key that doesn't open anything yet hasn't supplied any keys for the 12 window locks or the balcony door...
I am more inclined to think that the damage on the back verandah was simply overlooked.

My current one had the following crackers

1) Marble benchtops. Yeah, that's laminate love.
2) Gas cooking. Really? On an electric cooker?
3) No doorbell. Apart from the one at the front that works and looks about 10 years old
4) Bath in good condition. There is no bath.
5) No smoke alarms. Except for the 4 dotted around the house.
6) Outside lights in good working order. THERE ARE NO OUTDOOR LIGHTS DESPITE BEING PROMISED THEM (slightly angry about this one)

And the owners paid for that level of care and attention? Really?

I would say it either happened during the move in or move out. On balance of probability it was overlooked by the PM during the inspection.

As for the dog. If it causes no damage who cares?

6) Outside lights in good working order. THERE ARE NO OUTDOOR LIGHTS DESPITE BEING PROMISED THEM (slightly angry about this one)
What's so special about this outdoor light? :)

And the owners paid for that level of care and attention? Really?
The owner probably just being told "all good, rent paid" :D

I would say it either happened during the move in or move out. On balance of probability it was overlooked by the PM during the inspection.
True, that's very likely. I don't plan to not fix it, just want some clarifications and quick response from the PM on next actions.

As for the dog. If it causes no damage who cares?
Hopefully a well trained dog. As mentioned, my issue is that I wasn't notified - combined with the fact that the tenant tend to be a sliders. Dog can be expensive to maintain (I'm having one soon and I can feel my pocket getting light) so...
  • Tenant with history of being late
  • Still paying for latest water bill (they pay bit by bit)
  • And a dog that will cost them to maintain (or probably mum take care of that front)
  • A dog with good size to cause damage if owner doesn't train them well (I don't have anything against rottweiler!)
Sound like potential issues...

Just thinking, where a tenant seeks approval for a dog, should the pet clause include requirement for tenant to supply and maintain an outside kennel suitable for the animal?

Back