Opinion on Buying a House next to BIG Water Supply and Sewerage Pipes?

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in a house that sits next to a block of empty land which is owned by Sydney Water. They have main water supply and sewerage pipes underneath the land. The house itself does not have any easement (the sewerage line is outside the house land)

I have searched online and apparently there was a burst water main right in the area last year and houses nearby were flooded.

I'm going to call Sydney water to find out the cause of the burst and whether they reimbursed the damages to the house owners or not.

Has anyone here been in similar situation? Is it generally not good to buy such as house as there is high risk of a burst water pipe?

What is the likelihood that it will happen again?
and will it affect the value of the house?

Any thoughts will be much appreciated, the house is up for auction this Saturday and I want to make an offer prior the auction.

Thank you guys,

My advice:

If it is a large water main (300mm or above) and there is a history of failure in the immediate area I would be VERY careful. Sydney Water does not reimburse damages.

You will need to take out your home and contents insurance.

Sydney Water would at the very most reimburse your excess.

If the main bursts in the wrong spot, it could be devastating for any house in its path.

Sewer pipes may overflow. However as you stated that there are no sewer pipes inside the property, the level of damage would be minimal (unless there a issues with the private service).

Regardless, if one of those bursts and your property is in the line of fire not much would be standing.

If you are keen on purchasing the property, make certain that you speak to several insurance companies and detail what you know to ensure that you can actually insure the property.

Personally, I would walk away if there was a history of bursting pipes.

Back