Opinion on RE agent fee please

Just finished a meeting with a RE agent to sell my unit at Westmead, NSW. Looking at around $400K.

They are asking for 1.95%, that includes all advertising cost.

I just wanted to see what others think of this rate? I think it's pretty good considering the ad costs are included.

ad costs includes:
domain.com.au
realestate.com.au
their own website
RE window display
Sign out front of property
local papers (circ 80,000 readers)
letterbox drop x 2
Colour A4 mail out to potential customers (buyer's on their list)

This sounds good to me but I'm not sure if this is pretty standard or dam good.

Maybe I am out of touch with Sydney listing prices, but isn't 2-3% plus advertising costs normally about the going rate?

Is a portion of this payable upfront to cover off the agency's advertising costs?

Is this agent new or desperate for business?

Have you compared a few different agents prices in the area?

It's not all about the price :)

Is this agent new or desperate for business?

Have you compared a few different agents prices in the area?

It's not all about the price :)

BB has some valid points.
The norm varies, depending on what suburb you're selling in. 2-2.75% appears to be the industry standard for the large majority of Sydney based agents, in my experience. Make sure, however, you're hiring on the basis of experience and results, not just price. Best of luck with your sale.

It is a very competitive market around Westmead, absolutely saturated with agents in all directions (e.g. Parramatta, Wentworthville), having said that 1.95% including advertising and GST is an extremely competitive rate.

As previously mentioned by others it's not all about the commission rate what is important is the money you end up with after the sale, make sure your agent is a good marketer and negotiator (the fact they have negotiated their fee to 1.95% would indicate they are NOT good negotiators and are desparate for business). If they are prepared to negotiate so low with their own money, imagine what they'll do with yours!!

My advice is before you pick an agent, email them as a sales enquiry from their web page and see how quickly and professionally they respond to you as a buyer, because that is the treatment people will get who enquire about your property.

Pick an agent based on their results, marketing and service - if you do that you should end up with the best result regardless of the fee paid.

ad costs includes:
domain.com.au
realestate.com.au
their own website
RE window display
Sign out front of property
local papers (circ 80,000 readers)
letterbox drop x 2
Colour A4 mail out to potential customers (buyer's on their list)

This sounds good to me but I'm not sure if this is pretty standard or dam good.

domain.com.au - cheap for them
realestate.com.au - ditto
their own website - free
RE window display - free
Sign out front of property - free if isn't personalised
local papers (circ 80,000 readers) - lineage ads? listings in ofi list? display ads? feature? how long and how much?
letterbox drop x 2 - how many drops?
Colour A4 mail out to potential customers (buyer's on their list) - how big's the list and how qualified are they?

sounds like a good deal.

Back