Opinions on requirement for insurance

Hi all,

I would like to get some opinions on the requirement for insurance for a development site.

I own a rental property that is vacant and due to be demolished in a months time. Following that the block will be vacant for up to 6 months while I have headworks installed and apply for titles to be issued. Following that I will have a builder build 3 units on the site.

Currently I have full landlords insurance coverage as the property has previously been rented out. Going forward through the development process should I continue to have have public liability and workers compensation insurance for the site? I assume that the demo company and builder have these insurances so I won't be liable while they are on site? That just leaves the period while the headworks are being installed and titles issued where I could be liable for any accidents on site but this is unlikely for a vacant block.

I'd be interested to hear whether others would take out insurance for this period.

Cheers

Yes, I have advised my the bank through which I have the mortgage about my plans to demolish and subdivide. I was surprised at their lack of interest in reviewing what I am doing. I was basically told that as long as the value of the subdivided blocks is more that the existing house/land I only need to contact them once the new titles are ready to be issued so they can attend to the paperwork.

I had given the bank estimated values for the completed development previously though and obtained pre-approval to borrow additional funds for the construction of the units so they may have taken that information into consideration.

Gazz,

Even though you have clearly made the effort to inform the bank, still get their ok in writing; it's like pulling teeth though. Ensure their mortgage handling mob officially endorse the demolition. Your request is guaranteed to send them into a tail spin, so be prepared for grief.

As far as insurance goes, yep absolutely get public liability for the block once cleared. It's a small price to pay especially if any work is going to be done prior to builders insurance becoming valid.

I ended up with an 'Aust Brokers' - Commercial/Retail/Industrial insurance underwritten by QBE ($10M P/L for $535.00).

The ins. broker I went through said he found difficulty in sourcing a P/L only insurer. When I first approached him about the proposed demo he indicated to me that I would not be covered under my L/L insurance; I can't remember why??? The reason at the time was plausible - I certainly didn't feel it was a shonky effort to get more commission on his part.

I'm not sure if your normal landlords policy would still cover P/L once the house is demolished; a good question to pitch at your current insurer.

Cheers!

Ian.

Going forward through the development process should I continue to have have public liability and workers compensation insurance for the site? I assume that the demo company and builder have these insurances so I won't be liable while they are on site? That just leaves the period while the headworks are being installed and titles issued where I could be liable for any accidents on site but this is unlikely for a vacant block.

I'd be interested to hear whether others would take out insurance for this period.

Cheers
As long as you have a six foot high fence with all the safety signs to keep most out then it's only who comes on site,but iwould be having a talk too the insurance company because once the house is gone it's a whole different ball game,plus i don't have the data on work accidents on development sites but from my experience there is just the same level of danger in a vacant block, as with any other part of the development system,your better to be covered 100%,and everybody goes home safe each night,or your covered 99% and someone falls through the 1%..

Back